collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: McCall area dispersed camping?  (Read 1524 times)

Offline bracer40

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
McCall area dispersed camping?
« on: September 06, 2019, 10:56:37 AM »
I expect to be headed over weekend of 9/14 for two weeks of solo archery elk hunting. Starting tomorrow, I’ve committed to a week of calling and hopefully packing for a buddy of mine holding a great western WA tag. He’s recovering from surgery and the state wouldn’t exchange his tag🤬 (even with documentation from the VA)

I have a handful of core areas I’ll be focused on, with numerous plans A-Z in each one. I’ve also marked a number of potential dispersed camping areas based on what I’ve found w Google earth and Onx.

What I’m hoping is to get some guidance on areas where I’m more likely to find a few dispersed camping areas. My top core areas are in 19A and 23. I’ll be using my Kodiak tent for a base and hiking in each day. If I don’t find elk in my first handful of spots, I’m planning to move camp closer to second core area and so on til elk are found.

I’d greatly appreciate any suggestions you might have for areas with decent chances of finding dispersed camping areas. PMs would be great!

Also, if there are any other solo guys headed into the area that might like to connect for purposes of pack out help, let me know. Should I get lucky and harvest a bull, I expect to pack it out alone, but I’m open to help and helping others! My elk from last year was my first solo pack out and probably my most memorable to date.

Good luck all!!
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline elkh8me

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
Re: McCall area dispersed camping?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 11:38:32 AM »
The entire south end of unit 24 is being logged and lots of trucks as well as loggers in the brush.  We had to change things up because of it.  Just fyi

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 03:04:49 PM »
Elkh8me: thanks for the heads up! Fortunately, that part of unit 24 is about 4th on my list of core areas. I’d be interested to hear how you did up there if you care to share.
Feel free to pm if you like.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline Sumpnneedskillin

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2019, 03:36:04 PM »
Around Burgdorf burned last month.  I've stayed at a few of the campgrounds in that area.  Chinook towards Warren, Upper Payette Lake, Hazard Lake past Brundage are all small and decent.
What's the most dangerous thing said in the US Navy? -- A Chief Petty Officer saying "Watch this s$%^!!"

"I can imagine no more rewarding a career. And any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile, I think can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction: 'I served in the United States Navy.'"
President John F. Kennedy

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2019, 10:06:44 PM »
Thanks Sump! Hopefully I’ll find a few spots to set up camp for however long it takes to exhaust my G.E. Spots (or me)  before pulling stakes and relocating. So far I’ve been surprised at the rarity of dispersed campsites.
― Groucho Marx

Offline elkchaser54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 03:42:29 PM »
It's real quiet in my first spot.  Passed on a spike yesterday morning . Haven't heard any bugles except doug fluties . Totally rained out this afternoon hiding back at camp.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal