collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Can anyone tell me about an Ariska Savage 300  (Read 1077 times)

Online Kc_Kracker

• Sauceman
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Can anyone tell me about an Ariska Savage 300
« on: September 12, 2019, 08:21:07 PM »
I'm trying to help a young man that wants to hunt with me this year and learn find a cheap hunting rifle and we found one of these for a very cheap price but I don't know anything about them other than they are Japanese world war II it looks like it has been rechamber to Savage 300 which I don't know anything about unless that means win mag and also its head of scope put on it. Also have no idea what kind of distance this thing would be accurate up to?

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Can anyone tell me about an Ariska Savage 300
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 08:29:25 PM »
I have  savage model 99 in .300 that belonged to my dad and I would say, think 30-30 when you consider range. I used it to kill a bear at about 30 yards and it did a fine job with a jacketed lead 150 grain bullet. The .300 savage is not a magnum round.
If you're a Nigerian Prince with an inheritance to share, please call 1-800-Mar-a-Lago now. We're getting desperate here.

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 08:30:00 PM »
I'm trying to help a young man that wants to hunt with me this year and learn find a cheap hunting rifle and we found one of these for a very cheap price but I don't know anything about them other than they are Japanese world war II it looks like it has been rechamber to Savage 300 which I don't know anything about unless that means win mag and also its head of scope put on it. Also have no idea what kind of distance this thing would be accurate up to?

What is very cheap? A rifle of unknown origin in a caliber that you won't often find on the shelf sounds like a potential headache.
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Online Kc_Kracker

• Sauceman
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 08:45:22 PM »
Yeah I finally found some more good info on the internet about it and I think we're going to pass thanks for the info if anybody is interested it it's on Armslist for $150

Offline Remnar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 08:50:21 PM »
 Nothing wrong with a .300 savage. That being said there are a lot of better options in this day and age than that round and especially that rifle if your looking for cheap and easy .

Gunbroker is your friend . :twocents:

Offline Remnar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2019, 09:03:38 PM »
https://www.cdnnsports.com/marlin-xs7-243-synthetic.html#.XXsTum5FzIV

Cant speak for the glass (bet you could get by with it  ) but have shot these rifles and they shoot well.

Offline Fishnfowler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 01:24:42 PM »
.300 savage is ballistically similar to the .308.  I generally load 125-150 grain bullets for it.  The original 99 Savage didn't take chamber pressures like you see on modern firearms so info on it is for lower pressure loads.  It wouldn't be my first choice for a moose or long-range shooting, but for a first gun it will probably serve very well.

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 09:01:49 AM »
.300 savage is ballistically similar to the .308.  I generally load 125-150 grain bullets for it.  The original 99 Savage didn't take chamber pressures like you see on modern firearms so info on it is for lower pressure loads.  It wouldn't be my first choice for a moose or long-range shooting, but for a first gun it will probably serve very well.
:yeah: i wouldn't pick up a 300 savage unless you're into handloading.  i don't see much for factory ammo out there, and you'll pay dearly for it($30-40 a box).  it's a lot more similar to a .308 than a 30-30(in fact, it blows a 30-30 out of the water ballistically).

that said, i absolutely love mine(i have a 1960 Savage 99F).  i load 150gr bullets at 2600fps and 165s at around 2450.  combine that with a rifle that weighs about 7lbs fully dressed with a 2-7 scope, and points like a nice shotgun, i could probably be happy not owning another rifle for hunting this state if i didn't have anything else to pack.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal