collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Troubling Decline in Yakima Elk Herd  (Read 24828 times)

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Troubling Decline in Yakima Elk Herd
« on: September 13, 2019, 01:45:09 PM »
https://www.yakimaherald.com/sports/outdoors/troubling-decline-falling-elk-populations-bring-hunting-reductions/article_f8725d29-b19e-503d-af9a-0c1c18054831.html

Full article at the link above but two specific paragraphs in this that were the biggest takeaways for me are:

1.) "Local Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife biologist Jeff Bernatowicz said no studies have been done on area calves and researchers don’t know why their survival numbers are historically low. Until that trend reverses, hunters must pay the price with fewer permits available and shortened seasons for archers."

Why have no studies been done on this?

2.) "Bernatowicz noted hunters could also see negative effects from a pair of factors outside their control. Access to the Yakima Training Center will be limited this fall by heavy training activity, and unofficial reports from one tribe show total tribal harvest may be exceeding the number of new branched bulls in the herd, according to the wildlife department."

So the tribe is self reporting that they're literally killing off the bulls? Killing more bulls then are being recruited as calves each year. Wow. Also the Colockum herd has declined as well. They're currently at 4,133 elk up there and the WDFW's goal is 6,000.

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Troubling Decline in Yakima Elk Herd
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 02:22:32 PM »
https://www.yakimaherald.com/sports/outdoors/troubling-decline-falling-elk-populations-bring-hunting-reductions/article_f8725d29-b19e-503d-af9a-0c1c18054831.html

Full article at the link above but two specific paragraphs in this that were the biggest takeaways for me are:

1.) "Local Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife biologist Jeff Bernatowicz said no studies have been done on area calves and researchers don’t know why their survival numbers are historically low. Until that trend reverses, hunters must pay the price with fewer permits available and shortened seasons for archers."

2.) "Bernatowicz noted hunters could also see negative effects from a pair of factors outside their control. Access to the Yakima Training Center will be limited this fall by heavy training activity, and unofficial reports from one tribe show total tribal harvest may be exceeding the number of new branched bulls in the herd, according to the wildlife department."

So the tribe is self reporting that they're literally killing off the bulls? Killing more bulls then are being recruited as calves each year. Wow. Also the Colockum herd has declined as well. They're currently at 4,133 elk up there and the WDFW's goal is 6,000.
The colockum was an intentional herd reduction.  I believe they reduced their objectives as well....

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 02:26:37 PM »
Well when jerky is in demand you need to kill bulls
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 02:34:17 PM »

The colockum was an intentional herd reduction.  I believe they reduced their objectives as well....

According to the hunting prospects that were published last week, both herds are below their population objectives. And just a few years ago the Colockum herd was over 6,000 elk.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/02103/district_8_hunting_prospects_2019.pdf

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 03:09:11 PM »
So the tribes are killing more bulls than the calving can keep up with.!! So the rest of us have to suffer and try to help fix the problem.? Does the tribe elders try to do anything to help the situation?

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 03:11:42 PM »
So if the clockum herd is Downey did they add bull tags this year?

Offline Tbar

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 03:29:55 PM »
Downey?

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 03:35:35 PM »
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 03:45:26 PM »
The surveys dont count all the elk. The colock especially. There's areas elk winter in that don't get counted. Do they count the YTC herd? How many of those elk migrated because of snow in colock over rye/i-90 to YTC and stayed?

Not saying targeting of certain sexes doesn't have an adverse affect, just saying it's not the only reason.
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline ribka

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2019, 04:19:26 PM »
I’ve seen them use heilcoptto do counts.

I just saw 2 big bulls come off the colokum on Monday in the back of a tribal truck. Weren’t even gutted out and it was in the low 80’s. So much for meat care and honoring the animal. :dunno:

I wonder how much he’ll get for those racks on Craigslist or Facebook

Elk will be oil tags in Washington in a few years

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2019, 04:36:10 PM »
Was it a white Ford?
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2019, 06:17:27 PM »
I can see very little incentive for tribal members to decrease harvest. They know that no matter how low the numbers get they will always be able to hunt and soon they will have it all to themselves.

Not saying that is the mentality of them all or even the majority but it is a reality that they will be allowed to continue hunting no matter what happens.
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2019, 06:53:04 PM »
It's been said on here before, but what we need to do is adopt the Yakama seasons and limits as our own, for the areas that the Yakima tribe hunts. Just might force them to set reasonable seasons and limits to how many elk a person can take each year.

Offline meatwhack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2019, 07:01:44 PM »
The declining herd is probably caused from the last two hard winters just ask a biologist.

Offline bornhunter

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2019, 07:02:35 PM »
The reasons tribes moved so much back in the day was because they depleted their food source. So soon the elk will be gone and then the deer. Then the state will pay to import big game so they can keep with the old ways. Yay!!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal