5 (10.4%)
Internet/books
3 (6.3%)
Through trial and error in the woods
27 (56.3%)
Guide service got me going
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: How did you learn to elk hunt?  (Read 3090 times)

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
Re: How did you learn to elk hunt?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2019, 10:09:44 AM »
I grew up in Iowa hunting deer and small game and decided to try elk when I was in college.  Started going to CO in the fall and teaching myself by watching videos and trying different strategies.  Took me a few years to get things figured out doing it that way. 

Offline Matth

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2019, 10:11:04 AM »
The one Major take away that i have been able to put my finger on is learn elk behavior as it relates to the singular area that you are hunting. That doesn't mean you can only hunt one spot, i have tons of spots across multiple states and that's where the work comes in with lots of time watching elk to figure out why they do what they do, and take note of those things.

Ok so this one has always confused me: when you say "watching elk", how do you accomplish that? I've had experiences where my eyes and my cameras tell me that elk are in one spot during one part of the season and then later in the season they just aren't there anymore. How do you know where they've gone? Talking Western WA here specifically.

Up until just a couple of years ago i spent gobs of time in the woods, and when the elk didn't present where i thought they would, i went looking for them. If you have encountered elk in a specific spot, that are no longer there, the sign should tell you where they have gone. Everything that an elk does is cyclical, un pressured elk have the same basic routine week after week, and those routines change from season to season, ie spring feed, and water, then summer, fall, then finaly winter. If left undisturbed there basic generational habits will never change. The key for you is to figure out if these elk got pressured out of the area, or if they have just grazed on to the next feeding area. I am going to go out on a limb and say they got some pressure of some kind, and are in a hole somewhere near by.

Offline ljsommer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2019, 10:24:16 AM »
Ok here's another question: I can't bugle. I've tried and practiced and watched youtube vids but I just can't swing it.
However, my cow calls are pretty good.

I've had lots of folks tell me that bugling is mandatory to get a bull to bugle back, and that my cow calls are worthless. Is this true?

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2019, 10:40:12 AM »
It helps to be able to bugle, but it's not totally necessary. typically if you can get a bull to bugle with your cow call you have a pretty good chance of an interaction. 

Most people over do it with their bugle. In areas with plenty of pressure use it sparingly to get a location then move in and cow call

Offline Tinmaniac

• Scout
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2019, 10:56:23 AM »
No need to bugle if you have a cow tag.

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2019, 11:23:33 AM »
My dad didn’t hunt. But my buddies dad did. He was a us marine.
He would drive up to the top of clear cuts and say I will pick you up at the bottom.
1970s.

If we came across elk tracks on the road he would kick you out and tell you to follow the tracks, pick you up at dark. Hand held compass.

How successful were you?
One of the three of us would knock down a elk. But all bulls were game then.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Lumpy Taters

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2019, 07:09:58 PM »
After 40 years in the woods I have way more stories of things done wrong than done right.  Practice, Patience, and Persistence were all keys to me.  I spent way more time frustrated than smiling for the longest time.   I grew up riffle hunting with the family, There were quite a few of us so the mob mentality was the way.  Push the brush and have the shooters waiting. Nowadays more solo time and the real hunting began.  Now its all about the stalk or sitting still waiting for a golden opportunity.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2019, 07:46:40 PM »
One of the best ways I've found to learn elk behavior (western Washington) is to drive logging roads until I find where they have crossed then get on the trail and follow them. Even if you don't catch up to them you will find out how they use their habitat and terrain. remember that and apply it to other likely areas. It also will lead you to where they go when pressured when you do it during hunting season.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2019, 07:52:43 PM »
Dad and spending as much time as possible in the woods over the years. Like it was a second job.

Offline jaguar

• Pilgrim
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2019, 08:08:34 PM »
I am proud to say my Pops! He has taught me everything I know about hunting and we share some unforgettable and amazing things in the woods. Best times ever spent.

Offline ljsommer

• Longhunter
  • New hunter, hard worker.
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2019, 08:38:36 PM »
I am proud to say my Pops! He has taught me everything I know about hunting and we share some unforgettable and amazing things in the woods. Best times ever spent.

Bingo. And this right here is why I am so passionate about truly LEARNING this sport. I am far more concerned with learning than I am with killing, because I am trying to build a tradition in my family. Thanks for sharing.

Offline STIKNSTRINGBOW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
    • https://www.facebook.com/stiknstring.bow
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2019, 11:38:08 PM »
My dad didn’t hunt. But my buddies dad did. He was a us marine.
He would drive up to the top of clear cuts and say I will pick you up at the bottom.
1970s.

If we came across elk tracks on the road he would kick you out and tell you to follow the tracks, pick you up at dark. Hand held compass.
Similar start myself, usually it was the dad at bottom, or next logging road that shot animals we pushed.
Back then it was just buy a tag, did not have to pick sides, or weapons, or count points...
Got into archery late early 80's and started calling them when few others were.
It was almost easy compared to today, not sure if it is because of season changes (elk was first 2 weeks of October) or the fact that the herds are nowhere near as large as in the 80's, or increased pressure from more hunters..
But following active game trails has tought me where elk go, listening to elk has taught me their sounds, the internet (Elknut, Elk 101, Roe hunting resources) has taught me WHEN to use those sounds.
I may not get an elk every year, but I always get chances.
The mountains are calling and I must go."
- John Muir
"I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order."
- John Burroughs
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor
NASP Certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainer

Offline Jgarrigus

• Tracker
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2019, 07:13:53 AM »
My dad taught me how to hunt when i was 12. Started deer hunting, then at 14 had my first elk hunt. Shot a 5 point in SW WA. My dad has never believed in tree stands or glassing, or really sitting at all; so I guess my technique would be just boots on the ground. Hiking several miles every day in good areas until you run into something.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]