collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cougars in Entiat/Slide ridge  (Read 4565 times)

Offline xX Let ER Rip Xx

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: CCA
Cougars in Entiat/Slide ridge
« on: September 17, 2019, 06:57:54 AM »
Any guys ever have any encounters with these critters out there? I had one over the weekend, which resulted in loss of an animal.
Never give up.... you never know what’s around the next corner or over the next ridge......enjoy it while you can!

Offline xX Let ER Rip Xx

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
Re: Cougars in Entiat/Slide ridge
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 08:25:46 AM »
Let’s just say I had the holy $&:) scared outta me when this encounter happened.
Never give up.... you never know what’s around the next corner or over the next ridge......enjoy it while you can!

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 08:45:11 AM »
Plenty of tracks up there! You just gonna leave us hanging without the story?! :chuckle:
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

Offline Fletch

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2019, 12:51:23 PM »
In the 80's there was a hound  hunting outfitter that guided in that area.  Had wall tents set up near Ramona Park.  The migration pattern brought the cats right to him as the cats followed the buffet line. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 12:57:43 PM »
We're gonna need to hear some more details of this one.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Quackaddict

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2019, 01:02:12 PM »
Plenty of tracks up there! You just gonna leave us hanging without the story?! :chuckle:

:yeah:

Offline xX Let ER Rip Xx

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2019, 01:46:34 PM »
So I made a shot on a deer, it was a little far back, so I decided to give it a bit to expire and didn’t want to spook it by trailing the animal, so after a while of waiting I decided to go see where it had went to. I found where the blood started, and was in the middle of tracking the animal, I spotted the deer about 30 yds ahead of me, I looked down to check my footing, as I was doing this I heard some thrashing around and as I looked up the cougar had ran out of the brush and hammered the deer! I just about $&!? my pants when this happened, I fell down and was trying to go backwards as fast as I could!! I have only seen these critters through the headlights of my truck and one other time in the Winston unit, but never have seen one while I was actively hunting. At that point I yelled at it hoping to scare the animal off, but that didn’t work. I thought about shooting it, but decided against that, I’ve seen what house cats do to mice and birds and didn’t want to be that for supper, so I let it have a nice meal. I will never forget this as long as I live! I have always heard of guys seeing them in the woods. And have heard of guys even killing one while calling elk. This was something that made me uneasy all the way back to my rig. It was pretty dam spooky!!

Offline CoryTDF

• Make it Rain!!!
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
  • Look at me I'm blowing a duck call!
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2019, 01:58:52 PM »
So I made a shot on a deer, it was a little far back, so I decided to give it a bit to expire and didn’t want to spook it by trailing the animal, so after a while of waiting I decided to go see where it had went to. I found where the blood started, and was in the middle of tracking the animal, I spotted the deer about 30 yds ahead of me, I looked down to check my footing, as I was doing this I heard some thrashing around and as I looked up the cougar had ran out of the brush and hammered the deer! I just about $&!? my pants when this happened, I fell down and was trying to go backwards as fast as I could!! I have only seen these critters through the headlights of my truck and one other time in the Winston unit, but never have seen one while I was actively hunting. At that point I yelled at it hoping to scare the animal off, but that didn’t work. I thought about shooting it, but decided against that, I’ve seen what house cats do to mice and birds and didn’t want to be that for supper, so I let it have a nice meal. I will never forget this as long as I live! I have always heard of guys seeing them in the woods. And have heard of guys even killing one while calling elk. This was something that made me uneasy all the way back to my rig. It was pretty dam spooky!!

I'll be the first to say it. Should have shot the dang cat!
CoryTDF

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke (1729-1797), British statesman and philosopher

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2019, 02:05:39 PM »
Why!!! This is almost a dream come true. A preoccupied cat deserves an arrow through the pump house🤦🏻‍♂️

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2019, 02:09:58 PM »
Wow, I think I would have shot the cat and turned the whole mess into my taxidermist for a full mount of the whole thing.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline xX Let ER Rip Xx

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2019, 02:12:34 PM »
Without a tag for one in my pocket....I couldn’t really do that. Plus when you’re in the midst of that happening your thoughts aren’t always clear and concise...... there was a lot of what ifs going through my head at that time.

Offline xX Let ER Rip Xx

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2019, 02:13:30 PM »
Just sayin.... 

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2019, 02:14:50 PM »
Without a tag for one in my pocket....I couldn’t really do that. Plus when you’re in the midst of that happening your thoughts aren’t always clear and concise...... there was a lot of what ifs going through my head at that time.

Well that makes more sense! Next time buy the combo and kill the cougar  :chuckle:

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2019, 02:19:56 PM »
Totally get that.  I know a guy that didn't have a tag and just thought he would put someone else's tag on it.  Not a good idea.

I teach hunter ed and tell everyone to buy the combo elk deer bear cougar, you never know when you are going to have an opportunity and you don't want to miss the chance because you didn't have a tag.

Good job doing the right thing.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline OutHouse

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • Department of Foliage, Lifetime Member
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2019, 02:41:38 PM »
Was it a nice deer? Could be an argument that once harvested, the deer was your property and you were protecting your property and preventing waste of the animal. Might be a stretch but you did the right thing.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]