collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Kuiu Warranty  (Read 10246 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Kuiu Warranty
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2019, 11:32:18 AM »
Amazing.
Maybe you could sue the nfs for the rock that tripped you.
Sorry I couldn't help it😅
Nope.If the NFS road rips a hole in my tire that i bought the warranty on you bet I would be getting a new tire covered under warranty.Anyone belong to Costco?Part of why they are so successful is there no quibble return policy.

You didn’t buy a warranty on your tires. You bought “road hazard protection.” A rock that tears a tire is a rod hazard. Warranties cover manufacturers defects. Falling on something and destroying it is not a manufacturer’s defect. 

Go body slam your kitchenaid mixer you bought from Costco, get it all mangled up then take it back and tell me if they take it back without “quibbles.”
Costco will return,refund or give in store credit on just about anything.I have been a member since they opened store number 3 and have never had any problem returning anything.It's a matter of numbers for good companies,for every 100 sold ten come back.That's a win on 90 items.

I’m curious to know if you’ve ever tried to return something to Costco that you admittedly damaged beyond the scope of a clear manufacturer’s defect through abuse in one form or another. Also something that was 10 years old and no longer produced.
I’m not trying to be a smart ass. I’m legitimately trying to figure out people’s trains of thought on this stuff. I work with cars and I sell tires. I deal with warranty stuff literally every weekday of my life several times a day.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2019, 11:36:07 AM »
Who has broken a Kifaru frame sheet or stay and contacted customer service for a fix/replacement/warranty/ etc?
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline fowl smacker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: DU, Delta Waterfowl, RMEF, Friends of the Cowlitz
« Reply #32 on: September 28, 2019, 11:50:37 AM »
My issue with companies claiming a "lifetime warranty"  is that is should not be worded that way.  It's a marketing ploy to give people a good feeling about the security of their investment.  What it should say is "limited warranty"  or "lifetime warranty unless you use the said product".  I just got on their website and read their warranty and basically unless the item is new and something happens to it, it doesn't sound like it is covered.  How often do products fail when they are new and sitting in your house?  My issues aren't with companies warranty claims, it's how they portray them in advertising.

Offline Tinmaniac

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #33 on: September 28, 2019, 12:21:33 PM »
Amazing.
Maybe you could sue the nfs for the rock that tripped you.
Sorry I couldn't help it😅
Nope.If the NFS road rips a hole in my tire that i bought the warranty on you bet I would be getting a new tire covered under warranty.Anyone belong to Costco?Part of why they are so successful is there no quibble return policy.

You didn’t buy a warranty on your tires. You bought “road hazard protection.” A rock that tears a tire is a rod hazard. Warranties cover manufacturers defects. Falling on something and destroying it is not a manufacturer’s defect. 

Go body slam your kitchenaid mixer you bought from Costco, get it all mangled up then take it back and tell me if they take it back without “quibbles.”
Costco will return,refund or give in store credit on just about anything.I have been a member since they opened store number 3 and have never had any problem returning anything.It's a matter of numbers for good companies,for every 100 sold ten come back.That's a win on 90 items.

I’m curious to know if you’ve ever tried to return something to Costco that you admittedly damaged beyond the scope of a clear manufacturer’s defect through abuse in one form or another. Also something that was 10 years old and no longer produced.
I’m not trying to be a smart ass. I’m legitimately trying to figure out people’s trains of thought on this stuff. I work with cars and I sell tires. I deal with warranty stuff literally every weekday of my life several times a day.
I actually have on many items.I will say that without having several friends that have spent their entire adult lives working at Costco I wouldn't know how good their return policy is.One example of many.I had a 10 x 20 carport they have sold for years.Mine was 6 years old and thrashed.My buddy that has been with Costco since 1984 said take it back.I said no way.He said trust me.I swallowed my pride and did as he said.I walked out with a new,improved model as they no longer carried the one I returned.If KUIU was smart enough to sell their products through Costco this thread would not exist.Next time anyone goes to Costco take a look at returns,I guarantee not many folks leave there unhappy.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #34 on: September 28, 2019, 12:56:22 PM »
I guess I’m of a different mindset. If I legitimately break or ruin something, I wouldn’t expect someone else to replace it for free. I’m responsible for ruining it, I’ll eat it and replace it.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline CackleBird98

• Hunter
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2019, 01:00:07 PM »
I guess I’m of a different mindset. If I legitimately break or ruin something, I wouldn’t expect someone else to replace it for free. I’m responsible for ruining it, I’ll eat it and replace it.
:yeah:  :yeah:
People need to learn how to take responsibility for what they do

Offline Buckhunter24

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2019, 01:04:15 PM »
If everyone returned everything when it wore out or broke due to user error I have a feeling we would pay a bit more. Those policies work because they know most people arent going to work the system.

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2019, 01:09:48 PM »

I get that completely.
But what about a product that was a failed design to begin with? KUIU made a crappy frame, had numerous issues and complaints, scrapped it and redesigned it. So now the guy who originally bought it is SOL because KUIU said we have moved on, you should too?

Auto makers routinely recall vehicles due to known issues. Even if they no longer produce the model, they fix the problem. KUIU had so many issues with those original frames that they scrapped the product and started over. I don't think an original owner is so out of line to want some kind of reimbursement.

He fell on his pack! You don't think that is somewhat within the bounds of normal use?
He didn't body slam a mixer, or run his truck into a wall, he fell while hiking.

"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2019, 01:39:55 PM »
I don’t think that someone falling on a pack and breaking it is due to a manufacturer’s defect.  No, I don’t. I had that same Kuiu pack for years. Backpacked a lot with it, packed out a few bucks and a mountain goat with it. Mine never broke. They definitely broke for sure and had issues for the frame breaking. All the broken frames I’ve heard about were in different locations.
Vehicle manufacturers do recalls when they’re aware of safety related issues and those are mandated by the NTSB. If there’s a known issue with something that doesn’t require a recall and the vehicle is beyond the terms of the vehicle’s warranty coverage, the repair is not covered. They’ll even issue service bulletins when they know of issues. That doesn’t mean those repairs are covered under warranty.  Also you’re required to maintain your vehicle. If you don’t, you could risk warranty coverage.
The mixer/Costco example was probably not a great example, but I was referring to the other guy’s comment about Costco’s return policy.

Offline Tinmaniac

• Scout
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2019, 01:43:07 PM »
If everyone returned everything when it wore out or broke due to user error I have a feeling we would pay a bit more. Those policies work because they know most people arent going to work the system.
The warranty isn't free,it's part of the cost that is passed on to the consumer.We are not talking about a Wal - Mart product.The lifetime warranty helps sell a lot more products than what get returned.Heads up to everyone that bought and paid for a lifetime warranty on your high end gear,don't use it or your a bum.!

Offline Tinmaniac

• Scout
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2019, 01:49:38 PM »
I don’t think that someone falling on a pack and breaking it is due to a manufacturer’s defect.  No, I don’t. I had that same Kuiu pack for years. Backpacked a lot with it, packed out a few bucks and a mountain goat with it. Mine never broke. They definitely broke for sure and had issues for the frame breaking. All the broken frames I’ve heard about were in different locations.
Vehicle manufacturers do recalls when they’re aware of safety related issues and those are mandated by the NTSB. If there’s a known issue with something that doesn’t require a recall and the vehicle is beyond the terms of the vehicle’s warranty coverage, the repair is not covered. They’ll even issue service bulletins when they know of issues. That doesn’t mean those repairs are covered under warranty.  Also you’re required to maintain your vehicle. If you don’t, you could risk warranty coverage.
The mixer/Costco example was probably not a great example, but I was referring to the other guy’s comment about Costco’s return policy.
Toyota 3.0 liter head gasket campaign.They will honor that today if the VIN shows it was never done.That motor has been out of production for over 20 years yet they still stand behind their product.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2019, 02:09:54 PM »
There are definitely examples of warranty extensions and such to support your statement. There are also dozens of service bulletins explaining known issues on vehicles, Toyota’s included, that there are no extended coverage for as well. The no coverage examples far outweigh the the examples of extended coverage.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
Kuiu Warranty
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2019, 02:15:05 PM »
And correct me if I’m wrong, but I believe I’ve seen some drama regarding the 4.0 Toyota head gaskets being a common issue and no coverage for those, and they redesigned the head gaskets later on because they knew it was an issue. I could be wrong. I’m not a Toyota guy. Just for the sake of conversation.

Offline Buckhunter24

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2019, 02:35:02 PM »
The warranty isn't free,it's part of the cost that is passed on to the consumer.We are not talking about a Wal - Mart product.The lifetime warranty helps sell a lot more products than what get returned.Heads up to everyone that bought and paid for a lifetime warranty on your high end gear,don't use it or your a bum.!

I didnt call you a bum. You said yourself you swallowed your pride when you took your thrashed carport back. At any rate I'm not sure why I'm arguing ive got no dog in this fight.

Offline full choke

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2019, 03:12:07 PM »

The above bolded is my point.
KUIU made a bad frame. They knew it. It broke in many different places, for many different reasons. They abandoned the design and started over. That, to me, means culpability.
I have zero dogs in this fight- don't even really care. But reading through the posts and seeing all the responses admonishing the OP is kind of alarming. So I thought I would chime in.
I personally don't feel like a guy falling down while hunting/hiking is sooooo far out of the realm to expect a product to withstand. Especially a high cost product. It is no wonder KUIU wouldn't let the Rokslide guys throw their pack off a cliff like they did with Stone Glacier and Kifaru- KUIU knew theirs wouldn't survive.

And aside from the actual lifetime warranty (which a frame that is known to shatter in multiple different places, for multiple different reasons, should be covered as a manufacturers defect) or lack thereof, the OP was mainly complaining about KUIU's deceitful advertisement of said warranty.
"If you think our wars over oil are bad, wait until we are fighting over water..."

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal