collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: knight trigger assembly  (Read 1786 times)

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
knight trigger assembly
« on: September 29, 2019, 11:08:05 AM »
was getting ready to head out tomorrow for moose, using my dads knight bighorn. went to do a function test and the bolt wont stay back. looks like its a trigger assembly issue. maybe gummed up. pulled trigger out and cleaned as best i could. still cant get it to set right or function properly. anyone have this issue before? if so, what was the fix (minus new trigger)

Offline Sabotloader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: knight trigger assembly
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 11:31:13 AM »
was getting ready to head out tomorrow for moose, using my dads knight bighorn. went to do a function test and the bolt wont stay back. looks like its a trigger assembly issue. maybe gummed up. pulled trigger out and cleaned as best i could. still cant get it to set right or function properly. anyone have this issue before? if so, what was the fix (minus new trigger)

More than likely your first inclination is correct - it is probably the trigger assembly.  I would suggest that you remove the trigger and soak it in a solvent solution like Birchwood Case Bore Scrubber.  Then rinse it with some thing like carb/brake Cleaner.  Used compressed air to blow the trigger mechanism out.  Then work the trigger and the sear sticking out of the top of the trigger housing to make sure they are loose and movable.  Also check the trigger safety and make sure it moves back and fourth correctly.  When you get that all done lubricate the trigger with a quality oil.  Everything should work then.

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 12:16:36 PM »
You in eberg?  I might have a spare one you could borrow for your hunt,  if I can find it.

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 12:30:49 PM »
PM sent

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 12:57:20 PM »
Had the same issue with daughters bighorn pulled trigger assembly out cleaned and lubed was good to go after that
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline greenhead_killer

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 01:00:57 PM »

More than likely your first inclination is correct - it is probably the trigger assembly.  I would suggest that you remove the trigger and soak it in a solvent solution like Birchwood Case Bore Scrubber.  Then rinse it with some thing like carb/brake Cleaner.  Used compressed air to blow the trigger mechanism out.  Then work the trigger and the sear sticking out of the top of the trigger housing to make sure they are loose and movable.  Also check the trigger safety and make sure it moves back and fourth correctly.  When you get that all done lubricate the trigger with a quality oil.  Everything should work then.

was a combo of the two. the trigger mech was a little gummy, soaked it in hot soapy water(dawn dish soap), rinsed it really well and dried out. in the process noticed that the spring had shifted somehow, probably in me monkeying around with it, and wasnt seated correctly. cleaned it all up, lightly oiled the whole assembly, cycled a bunch of times(verifying all actions worked) put back together and cycled again. works like it should. thanks for the quick responses. i was half panicked when i initially pulled it out and found the issue.

also, awesome offer from usmc74. i cant thank you enough for throwing that out there.

tomorrow ill be heading out for camp set up and scouting. ill run a few rounds through it to verify its still on. how much does completely disassembling the gun like this mess with the sights? im fine shooting a few, more for my personal knowledge than anything. thanks again for the responses and offers guys!

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 01:20:30 PM »
I always break it down to clean mine.  Always clean and lube the trigger each time.  Sights are always still on for me.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 01:30:03 PM »
ok awesome. thanks for the reply. good info to know for down the road.

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 01:41:03 PM »
Should not effect sights at all.
Good luck with the hunt
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 02:16:00 PM »
Been there! 

Brake cleaner! 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal