collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blacktail rattling 2019  (Read 9028 times)

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
Blacktail rattling 2019
« on: October 01, 2019, 11:31:24 AM »
So a few years back I got so frustrated with Blacktail hunting that I decided I needed to look into other ways of hunting them. The same methods I had used for years and years were not producing the successful results I had seen before. I started reading and learning about rattling. everything I found was on whitetail :(
That's about as far as I got that season.
The next season I bought a doe bleat (the can), a grunt tube (blacktail specific), and a rattle bag (I am scared of having antlers stick out of My pack while hunting). I found info and videos about black tail rattling and how successful some hunters had been with it.
3nails was by far the most informative info I found (highly recommend anything you can find from him).
I continued that season doing the same old same with the rattle bag never coming out of my pack.
To be continued (back to work)
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Blacktail rattling 2019
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 11:34:25 AM »
That's all you have to say? :dunno:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline slowhand

• Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 11:38:30 AM »
That's all you have to say? :dunno:
I'm at work  :dunno:
I will add more when I get a second. Just don't want to retype everything over and over. I just add when I can.
 :sry:
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 11:42:24 AM »
Will this be for info on how you will attack Blacktails this hunting season?
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline slowhand

• Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 11:48:22 AM »
Will this be for info on how you will attack Blacktails this hunting season?
All around info.
How it goes for Me this season. How My one try last year went, LOL.
Help from others if possible. 3nails You out there?
My setup and steps I take. I'm looking for help and hopefully to help others.
It's totally new for Me but exciting as hell.
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 11:52:52 AM »
Have you had some cams set up in your hunting are to know if there are bucks around. Blacktail typically have a small area with which they roam.

Offline slowhand

• Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 12:05:26 PM »
Have you had some cams set up in your hunting are to know if there are bucks around. Blacktail typically have a small area with which they roam.
I hunt an area that has a very good population of blacktail and very few hunters. It's behind a gate and requires a incredible amount of effort to get to. It's all up hill 6.5 miles before you reach the top. There are plenty of bucks. My hunting partner and I are going in this weekend with three cameras. We both have the mutli season tags as well as My middle son. I would put My life on the fact there are no less then 15 good bucks in the area I hunt. I have never used a game camera until yesterday. Just bought one and learned how to use it last night. I honestly can't wait to see some of the pictures I expect to get from this area. Last Year there was a very nice 4 point taken about 100 yards from Me during modern rifle Rut hunt. So close!
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline slowhand

• Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 12:27:40 PM »
So a few years back I got so frustrated with Blacktail hunting that I decided I needed to look into other ways of hunting them. The same methods I had used for years and years were not producing the successful results I had seen before. I started reading and learning about rattling. everything I found was on whitetail :(
That's about as far as I got that season.
The next season I bought a doe bleat (the can), a grunt tube (blacktail specific), and a rattle bag (I am scared of having antlers stick out of My pack while hunting). I found info and videos about black tail rattling and how successful some hunters had been with it.
3nails was by far the most informative info I found (highly recommend anything you can find from him).
I continued that season doing the same old same with the rattle bag never coming out of my pack.
To be continued (back to work)
So now We make it to last season (modern) My middle boy (Carson) and I both get lucky and pull doe tags. I decide that I am focused completely on Getting the boy His first Deer. Opening day he brings a good friend of his with as his hunting partner (Hayden). 
It's opening morning and we are all standing in the pitch black at the entrance to the first big clear cut. After a silent game of rock paper scissors it's decided that Carson will lead followed closely by his friend Hayden. Me and My hunting partner will head in after an additional 30min wait. I tell the boys that if it's a doe Carson shoots but if it's a Buck then Hayden should have the opportunity because He has no doe tag. Official shooting time hits and I send the Boys in to start their slow walk as I watch their behavior with My binoculars.
Back soon to continue 
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 02:53:46 PM by slowhand »
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline slowhand

• Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 01:17:59 PM »
So the Boys continue to make their way around the clear cut and disappear around the corner. Once the 30min have passed My hunting partner and I start in on the same path the boys had made. We make our way slowly around the cut, then about three corners or more I hear some noise down hill to My left. Sounds like a Deer bounding then entering the tree line. I wait and listen for a while then continue the same path as the boys. After the next turn I see the two boys looking back at Me while standing on the edge of the clearing. I immediately freeze and watch to see what's going on. My Boy motions for Me to come over and take a look.
When I get there I can see the excitement on their faces. The story goes like this as told By My Son.
So We came around that corner and walked up to this edge to take a look. I look over the edge and there's a Deer walking right to us.
I pull up My gun and find it in My scope and it's got tons of horns Dad! So I'm thinking I can't shoot Because You said if it's got horns to let Hayden shoot it. So I'm Like "Hayden get over here! There's a big buck right here!" then the Deer looked at Me.
Hayden pulled up his gun and the deer started bouncing like it had spring in it's feet. It went crashing into the trees over in the corner at the bottom of the hill.
So close!
I asked Him If He could show me where the Deer was when He had his gun on it. Right next to that stump there He said. 50yards! LOL
Later this same season I helped a vet pull His nice 4 point out and to his truck. He stopped By camp later to show the boys and see if it was the same buck that they had seen. This was a very nice Deer a true trophy blacktail buck. Both the boys agreed that the buck they had a chance at was much bigger than the one in the back of the truck.
Long story I know. This Deer that the boys missed out on is My back up plan. I figure that He must be one of the dominant males in the area. I know where He lives now and plan to try to rattle him in.
More to come later
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline slowhand

• Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 02:42:26 PM »
First question for the experienced Rattler.
At this time of the season how aggressive should I be rattling?
My thoughts are medium to light rattling. I'm guessing the Bucks are grouped up and maybe light sparing at the most right now.
Almost all of the bucks I have found at this time of the year in My spot are in bachelor groups of two or more. I have even found one group that had a spike, two point, three point, and a mature 4 point all walking together.
My hunting partner Zack was out last weekend and spotted a doe and spike together. My thoughts are that the spike is last years fawn?
Just not sexualy mature yet? Just still hanging out with mom for another month before it's time for him to leave out on his own.
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline slowhand

• Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline JasonG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 05:32:17 PM »
Take a look at Tom Ryle blog, pacific Northwest bow hunting. Tom is an awesome guy with a ton of knowledge regarding blacktails. He has been on a few podcasts as well. Search Blacktail and Tom Ryle and you will find them. 

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 08:10:44 PM »
I haven't tried hard enough with rattling yet. Something I really want to figure out, or at least rule out. I have grunted a buck in though. The biggest blacktail I've seen in my area dead or alive. I'd already tagged out earlier that week.  The day my son shot his buck we saw this stud on the way out.  On Halloween I decided to go up where I saw him and try rattling & grunting.  I walked up the old skid road about 50ft and realized I hadn't even practiced grunting,  so I blew in it really light to see what kinda sound it would make.  So it made a very faint grunt. Instantly I heard something crashing through the brush. Then he came out on the skid road coming right at me at a quick walk with his nose to the ground. He stopped about 10ft from me, and we stared at each other for about a minute. He took off when I tried to take his pic.
 Very long story short.....I know nothing about rattling.  Good luck
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 08:44:48 PM »
Tagging

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2019, 09:00:58 PM »
Kodiac needs to get on here he rattles in some nice blacktails !

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal