collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Bear tooth submission, bear guide???  (Read 2484 times)

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
Bear tooth submission, bear guide???
« on: October 01, 2019, 03:00:47 PM »
Filling out information on the back of the Bear Tooth submission envelope, and there's two questions that reference a guide. I can't find it anywhere in the regs. Can anyone lead me to this hypothetical guide?
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
Re: Bear tooth submission, bear guide???
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 03:04:30 PM »
Dont overthink it.  Sub adult or adult.  Theyre tooth aging anyway.
 As far as body condition, i just rated 1-10 as far as what i perceive the animals overall health / condition to be.  I think what really matters is location and sex information.  That combined with tooth aging gives them the info they want.   :dunno:

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 03:15:40 PM »
Good for you reporting! The state is trying to require hide sealing  for spring bear. Part of the reason given is not enough people submit teeth for sample.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 04:45:38 PM »
I killed a bear a couple years ago and the rug went 6.5ft nose to tail with broken and rotted teeth. Tooth aging came back and it said it was a 1yr old. I don’t believe a bear that 2 men can’t barely move to gut and has a hide of 6.5ft long is 1 yr old.

I wouldn’t put to much into tooth reporting as I think it’s a way to link bear DNA to you in case they find gall bladder or paws on the black market then they can trace It back to possibly a hunter that reported.
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 05:01:44 PM »
I killed a bear a couple years ago and the rug went 6.5ft nose to tail with broken and rotted teeth. Tooth aging came back and it said it was a 1yr old. I don’t believe a bear that 2 men can’t barely move to gut and has a hide of 6.5ft long is 1 yr old.

I wouldn’t put to much into tooth reporting as I think it’s a way to link bear DNA to you in case they find gall bladder or paws on the black market then they can trace It back to possibly a hunter that reported.
Why would they need to do hair sample gathering tests if teeth would give the dna?

It seems that tooth analysis from the lab in montana is used to age all kinds of animals for nearly all states...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 05:51:32 PM »

Tooth aging isnt foolproof.  For one thing human error is a factor.  Teeth can get mixed up etc.  Neighbor of mine killed a very large boar and they said it was 2 years old.  Also, its not an exact science.  Qdma does a lot of collaring / tracking projects on whitetails.  I read where they took teeth from several bucks of known ages and sent them in, qnd the results came back anywhere from 1-3 years off in either direction on most of the samples.

Offline ganghis

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 01:54:01 PM »
Tooth aging in bears is a lot better than for deer as it's based on cementum annuli instead of teeth wear, at least in places w/ strong seasonality (i.e. it works better in Alaska than New Mexico).  If bear teeth are in good shape it tends to be accurate at early ages and gets a bit more imprecise at older ages.  That said, broken teeth present a problem - they probably just put those in a different category.  I wouldn't trust an age from a broken tooth.  This is based on data from Pennsylvania where they have known age bears in their harvest

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2019, 02:19:39 PM »
Tooth aging in bears is a lot better than for deer as it's based on cementum annuli instead of teeth wear, at least in places w/ strong seasonality (i.e. it works better in Alaska than New Mexico).  If bear teeth are in good shape it tends to be accurate at early ages and gets a bit more imprecise at older ages.  That said, broken teeth present a problem - they probably just put those in a different category.  I wouldn't trust an age from a broken tooth.  This is based on data from Pennsylvania where they have known age bears in their harvest

When you send a deers tooth in, cementum annuli is what theyre doing.  Same thing as bears.

https://www.qdma.com/estimating-deer-age-cementum-annuli/

Offline ganghis

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2019, 02:32:26 PM »
Oh wow, never knew you could do that w/ deer.  Maybe it's more reliable in bears because they go through winter torpor with gives more well defined rings?  I don't know much about deer aging honestly

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]