collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Is there any emergency you would not use your Spot or InReach etc?  (Read 2211 times)

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
Seeing a few posts on Spots,InReach etc.

Got me thinking . Is there any emergency you would not use your device for?

If you saw a wreck on the pass and no cell service ,would you use your device?

GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Is there any emergency you would not use your Spot or InReach etc?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 08:19:02 PM »
Seeing a few posts on Spots,InReach etc.

Got me thinking . Is there any emergency you would not use your device for?

If you saw a wreck on the pass and no cell service ,would you use your device?

Yeah, why wouldn’t I?  What’s the alternative - to let someone sit there?

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 08:31:34 PM »
I would with an inReach but probably not with a SPOT. The inReach allows two way communication so you could communicate the nature of the emergency.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 08:33:28 PM »
I would with an inReach but probably not with a SPOT. The inReach allows two way communication so you could communicate the nature of the emergency.

:yeah:

On my phone I slide a bar across to activate, but can put in whatever text I want to send to emergency services.

I haven't done it, but I think once I slide that bar I can send whatever message.

Offline Jason

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 08:40:18 PM »
That’s not all true. With the Spot you can message back and forth about the nature of your emergency, and receive confirmation when help is on the way.

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 08:46:06 PM »
That’s not all true. With the Spot you can message back and forth about the nature of your emergency, and receive confirmation when help is on the way.

Only some spots.
My old generation spot only sends preprogrammed messages. It has a emergency button that will bring the Calvary if you push it. No two way.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2019, 03:15:48 PM »
I love my InReach, but it's important to keep the limitations in mind.  If it's the only reasonable option, i.e. you're the only one on scene and there's no cell or radio coverage (see below), then of course the InReach would be used.

That said, if you can move a reasonable distance and call for help, that can dramatically shorten the response times of emergency services.  As many have pointed out on here, there are still anomalies of orbits and weather that can draw out InReach communications considerably.  There's a huge difference between a 20 minute delay per InReach message and a live duplex connection. 

As for radios, I just took the ham license (technician) test, and getting that done was really not much work.  WA has a pretty awesome network of repeaters, so you often have reception in surprisingly remote places.  Unless it's your last resort, you'll need a ham license to use them.  BUT if you're in an emergency and you don't have other options, you CAN use the repeater system to call for help.  https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/97.403

Long story long, I consider my InReach my last resort.

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2019, 11:45:29 AM »
My litmus test is:

Am I (or someone else) able to self rescue (or use cell services) and not put life in danger?

If the answer is no, hit the button.

If I can self rescue without compromising life, even if it takes me a day to do it, then I do not think it is a responsible use of resources to hit the button. 
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 12:42:00 PM »
 :yeah:

I would use it only if I were unable to move or safely get myself or another to safety faster than help could arrive. I would certainly use it if shock or hypothermia were present or a real possibility.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2019, 12:52:23 PM »
My litmus test is:

Am I (or someone else) able to self rescue (or use cell services) and not put life in danger?

If the answer is no, hit the button.

If I can self rescue without compromising life, even if it takes me a day to do it, then I do not think it is a responsible use of resources to hit the button.

well said :tup:

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2019, 01:19:21 PM »
I’ve often wondered about this myself. You break down on north cascades pass, sit around and wait for help or can you use your fancy device to get help on the way? Another scenario, your truck won’t start upon returning from a hunt. You are 10 miles from cell service up some dead end road. Again, use my fancy device to get help or do you start walking?

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 07:01:27 AM »
If you have a device with 2 way messaging, you can text for assistance.  I arranged a day early pack out from a drop camp that way once.

But the two situations you detail above do not sound like they are appropriate to engage search and rescue.  However they could turn into a SAR situation - especially the second one depending on your fitness, the weather and how prepared you are.  Personally I have enough stuff in my truck to survive a week or so... 
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 07:18:45 AM »
If you have a device with 2 way messaging, you can text for assistance.  I arranged a day early pack out from a drop camp that way once.

But the two situations you detail above do not sound like they are appropriate to engage search and rescue.  However they could turn into a SAR situation - especially the second one depending on your fitness, the weather and how prepared you are.  Personally I have enough stuff in my truck to survive a week or so...

I believe the service which receives your signal routes the SOS to an appropriate service to respond. There's no reason you couldn't request a tow. The service receives your signal and texts you to find out the exact nature of the problem. "My truck is broken down miles from anywhere. Please send AAA." They would only send SAR if you didn't respond.

That's my understanding and I play an Inreach expert on the internet, so I think I know these things.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 07:50:12 AM »

I believe the service which receives your signal routes the SOS to an appropriate service to respond. There's no reason you couldn't request a tow. The service receives your signal and texts you to find out the exact nature of the problem. "My truck is broken down miles from anywhere. Please send AAA." They would only send SAR if you didn't respond.

That's my understanding and I play an Inreach expert on the internet, so I think I know these things.

That was my thoughts exactly. Seems more efficient than messaging a friend to relay for you.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Deadeyety
[Today at 05:12:44 PM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:12:42 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]