collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: SxS light mounting location questions  (Read 2358 times)

Offline blackpowderhunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
SxS light mounting location questions
« on: October 02, 2019, 08:16:40 AM »
Question for the more veteran side by side guys.
For auxiliary LED lighting, do you guys see any advantage/disadvantage of location of LED lighting..talking either on the roof or in front on the bumper?  Does up top lead to additional glare off of the "hood" area of the SxS?
Helping a buddy's dad set up some extra lightning on his pioneer, and just thought I'd reach out to all of you experts  :chuckle:

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
Re: SxS light mounting location questions
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 09:03:02 AM »
On roof etc gives better light coverages.  Lower it is the more linear the beam.  That helps show humps and valleys in the terrain.  I like em higher.  Few tips.  You can trigger the relay so it turns on with high beams (Tap the highbeam light wire) thus eliminate the switch.  Or not.  Also use quality wiring harness switch.  Some come with very cheap wires and they fail asap..  I run through fuse panel and use relays.  IMany options and pretty easy.  Interweb search may reveal many types brackets for placement.
MAGA!  Again..

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 09:33:13 AM »
On roof etc gives better light coverages.  Lower it is the more linear the beam.  That helps show humps and valleys in the terrain.  I like em higher.  Few tips.  You can trigger the relay so it turns on with high beams (Tap the highbeam light wire) thus eliminate the switch.  Or not.  Also use quality wiring harness switch.  Some come with very cheap wires and they fail asap..  I run through fuse panel and use relays.  IMany options and pretty easy.  Interweb search may reveal many types brackets for placement.
thank you sir.
other plan was to have the option to run yellow light or white.
white is terrible when fog/snow/dust...so having ability to cut that will be beneficial i think.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 04:43:24 PM »
I put two lights on my bumper and two on the roof of my Pioneer. The bumper lights don't do much at all compared to the roof lights. Put them all on the roof.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 07:20:46 AM »
I put two lights on my bumper and two on the roof of my Pioneer. The bumper lights don't do much at all compared to the roof lights. Put them all on the roof.
:tup:
the roof it is.
thanks guys, glad i came here first..my original plan was bumper.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 08:40:55 AM »
I will add few things to think about.  I have ran a cheap 50" amazon bar, a quality 20" bar, Cheap pods and high end pods.  My cheap 50 wasn't much better then the 20".  Pods were much better then cheap ones as well but much less important.  A curved 20-40" quality bar mounted up high seems to be best bang for buck.  Also there are brackets that allow you to attach at top of windshield up high yet not on roof.  This can be important as many times I had issues with downed limbs or trees snagging my light mounted on top of roof.  PIA.  120w seems to be plenty and not overtaxing charging system in my case with a radio as well.  CREE or OSRAM leds is what ya want.  NO Philips, they are bad and dull and yellow.  White light in snow is weird but I like it.  Reflections lite up whole jungle but can cause eye strain.  Yellow  better.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Bluemoon

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
    • Tuxedo Kennels/ Tuxedo's Outdoor Adventures
    • Tuxedo Kennels
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 09:46:52 AM »
I put a 20" double stack led on the bumper of my defender.  As recommended by the dealer and really like it. I then put two led wide angle spots on the back of the roof.  Seeing I am in the heart of grizzly country I wanted to light up the world around me for retreiveing game.  I have a very good 1000 meters of light all the way around me.

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 09:48:07 AM »
I got 4 little squares. They have a side flood and forward beam. Work great. About $150 with 2 wiring harnesses and switches.

Amazon.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2020, 04:27:22 PM »
If your S x S is like mine and has a plow you'll need to do a roof mount or keep the plow low to the ground
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2020, 06:19:09 PM »
Tagging along.  Thinking about lights on my Pioneer.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2020, 09:28:16 PM »
Roof is always first choice and second choice which I need to do is pillars next

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2020, 09:32:25 PM »
I went with 30" visionx lifetime warranty they have the best warranty in th business

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal