collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Help Choosing E-Caller  (Read 4422 times)

Offline Pete112288

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Help Choosing E-Caller
« on: November 25, 2019, 12:23:55 AM »
So for my birthday I was given a couple gift cards and am finally going to get myself an e-caller.
My for sure budget is under $100. There is the possibility that I may be able to take it up to $150 but I would rather not.
I dont mind using my mouth calls for volume and variety but really want to be able to play the wind and lay of the land by being able to have the call come from somewhere other than where I am sitting as I hunt alone a lot and often deal with situations where they can pop up from nowhere within 50 yards or less.
Being able to add or program sounds is a plus but I am not hung up on it if I like the calls that are included.
The only calls that really are not on all of them that I really would like to have is bobcat and kitten calls, and fawn bleats, not just fawn distress, but regular bleats as well. However, I am still flexible with those.
I have it down to these. I don't mind spending to the top of my budget, but keeping the price down more would always be preferred. I am hoping to pull the trigger on one on sale between black friday and cyber monday.
1. Johnny Stewart GrimSpeaker GS2 - I like that it is the most affordable one that includes being able to program and add sounds. The included sounds are good enough as well for me. I have also seen it go as low as $60 on Amazon at times.
2. IcoTech 300 - I really like that it has a bobcat sound included. Also, of all of the ones on my list it has the highest decibel rating, but overall they are all within 10 DB or so of eachother.
3. Johnny Stewart Attractor Max - The only big reason I added this one to the list is that I like that it has kitten distress, other than that though I prefer the selection of calls on other ones.
4. FoxPro Deadbone - I really like the selection of calls on this one when it comes to the coyote sounds and prey animal distresses.
5. Primos Dog Catcher - Again like the FoxPro, I really like the selection of calls even though it does not include cat sounds.

Now if I find a good sale, or manage to up my budget I am also considering these.
Primos Alpha Dogg and the FoxPro Patriot.

Anyone that can speak about any of these from experience?
Thank ya!

Offline ELKBURGER

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Help Choosing E-Caller
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 06:13:22 AM »
I really like my Alpha Dogg. Nice compact design, plenty loud and a plethora of loaded and available sounds to pick from.

Online Katmai Guy

• Retired
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 07:57:01 AM »
I'm a FoxPro fan, I've had the FX3 and currently use the Fusion with the decoy attachment. :tup:
"Keep shootin, when there's lead in the air, there's hope"

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 08:25:22 AM »
Check out the Lucky Duck Rebel. I paid $120 for mine but you might find it cheaper on sale. It only has 12 sounds and may not have all that you are wanting. But it does have all the sounds you need to call bobcats and coyotes. For the price you won't find a call that's got better quality sound and volume.

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 09:06:15 AM »
I went with the Icotec GC500 with decoy attachment.  Haven't called in anything yet, only used it once for about 2 hours but it seems like a great setup.  Did get a pack of coyotes howling like crazy.  Icotec has a ton of sounds for download on their website and the GC500 will hold up to 200 on an SD card.  I went that way so that I wouldn't be limited to only a few sounds in the future.  It was pretty successful at running the damn cats off and getting the neighborhood dogs howling at home  :chuckle:

Offline pashok23

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 08:37:01 AM »
I'm a FoxPro fan, I've had the FX3 and currently use the Fusion with the decoy attachment. :tup:
Hehe that exactly what i had and what im using right now.

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 09:55:54 AM »
love my alpha with 3 dogs it can get hectic to keep track in tall grasses~! love the compass and range option for this~!
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline NWghostgetter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 06:38:32 AM »
I really like my Foxpro inferno and Icotec GC500. Both come out of the box with enough sounds to get you going and you can add more down the road if you choose. The Foxpro remote is much nicer and more intuitive than the icotec. I've had no issues with durability from either call but you can tell the foxpro is better build quality.  The icotec still has great sound quality and is louder than the foxpro. I think either would suit you well.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2019, 08:13:30 AM »
https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=icotec

icotec GC500 gen 2   *see details in cart*   so I put it in the cart and its $135 + tax

might be your nicest option for your budget, if even its slightly over what you'd like I think that added $35 bux would be well spent.   

Offline ne kid

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2019, 10:20:01 AM »
I have an icotec, and really like it.

Offline kisfish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: nra
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 12:15:22 PM »
I have an icotec as well. I really like it. I am able to control it from several hundred yards away. Good sounds and plenty of volume adjustments. I know its a ways from you but if you wanted to try it before you go buy one I would let you try mine out

Offline Pete112288

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 11:00:23 PM »
Thank ya everyone for your responses. After going through all of my options, and deciding what I wanted out of a call. I ended up focusing on the Icotec, Foxpro Deadbone, and the Johnny Stewart GS2. I knew I was going hunting this morning and had errands to run on Saturday so I was getting impatient. haha. I saw Dicks had the Foxpro in stock and on sale for $99. So I was just going to go grab it in person. I liked the calls that it had on it, and had a chance to listen to them before. I love that its made in USA and that everyone says how tough the Foxpro are. But I went into Fisherman's Marine next door first to make sure they didnt have it for less and my wife wanted me to point out a few things for Christmas gift ideas. Walked in and saw the Johnny Stewart GS2 with a $99 tag. So now I have to make sure which one I wanted. Then I noticed a different price sticker. $69. Done deal, that did it for me. Spent the remainder of what I was going to spend on some #4 buckshot I was running low on. First day out this morning it earned me a good male coyote. I am happy as can be. Now I want to get a few new sounds to add to the collection. But it has everything I need for now.

Offline ELKBURGER

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2019, 04:33:25 AM »
Thank ya everyone for your responses. After going through all of my options, and deciding what I wanted out of a call. I ended up focusing on the Icotec, Foxpro Deadbone, and the Johnny Stewart GS2. I knew I was going hunting this morning and had errands to run on Saturday so I was getting impatient. haha. I saw Dicks had the Foxpro in stock and on sale for $99. So I was just going to go grab it in person. I liked the calls that it had on it, and had a chance to listen to them before. I love that its made in USA and that everyone says how tough the Foxpro are. But I went into Fisherman's Marine next door first to make sure they didnt have it for less and my wife wanted me to point out a few things for Christmas gift ideas. Walked in and saw the Johnny Stewart GS2 with a $99 tag. So now I have to make sure which one I wanted. Then I noticed a different price sticker. $69. Done deal, that did it for me. Spent the remainder of what I was going to spend on some #4 buckshot I was running low on. First day out this morning it earned me a good male coyote. I am happy as can be. Now I want to get a few new sounds to add to the collection. But it has everything I need for now.
Awesome deal! Way to get it paying for itself!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]