collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hair on the meat!!!  (Read 7314 times)

Offline RightPlace-RightTime

• Life is a collection of Memories-They are like starlight, They go on forever
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Hair on the meat!!!
« on: October 06, 2019, 07:34:13 PM »
Years of always thinking hair on the meat was a bad thing when taking to the butcher.
Within reason on amount.  Little to little amount. Just cant get it all.
Talked with a friend of mine who is head butcher at B&E meats in desmoines.  He said it's a myth.

What are all your thoughts?

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
Re: Hair on the meat!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 07:40:24 PM »
Hair has pee and poop and gland secretion on it. I don't like to eat pee or poop or gland ooze. I take care to not have hair on my meat. Not because of the hygiene part of the stuff above, but I feel that hair on gives meat that "gamey" flavor you get some of the times.  I've had a few elk pieces that taste exactly like they smell when you walk up to them, which I feel it's hair ground with the meat.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2019, 08:38:21 PM by 92xj »
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2019, 07:44:10 PM »
The processor we take ours to will not accept deer or elk if there is hair present on the meat.  There is a very simple way to clean the hair off of a hanging carcass.  You can buy stainless steel sponges on Amazon or other sites which work like magic.  You just hang the animal to cool, and when it is dry use the sponges to wipe the hair off that is left on the meat after skinning.  The sponges are cheap........I buy them in packs of 12.  Just make sure to get the kind that do not have soap in them !!

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Scrubbing-Scouring-scrubber-Kitchens/dp/B07CTHPJYK/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=stainless+steel+pads&qid=1570416100&sr=8-4
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline kisfish

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: nra
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2019, 08:04:06 PM »
I can not begin to count all the deer and elk we cut at the shop in Colorado. There will always be some hair on the meat. What worked great for us was a gas torch. Just go over it and 99% would be gone. Of course you see some very clean animals come in and we always appreciated that, made it a point to tell the hunters as such

Offline Jimmer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2019, 08:06:47 PM »
Cold water and a rag.. wipe down right after you skin. Simple

Offline asmith

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2019, 08:08:50 PM »
I have always made sure to clean all the hair from the meat.  Gives it a bad taste when biting into hairs and if vac sealed and frozed, can and will make the meat inedible.  Personal experience on that one, with a neighbor helping me and i didnt watch over him.  Every package that he cut up and vac sealed went bad.  This was a deer that we didnt let hang, just skinned and butchered.
Right wing shooter, I aim for the left!!!

Nowhere in your incoherent rambling did you come close to what can be considered a rational thought. Everyone is now dumber having heard it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2019, 08:31:28 PM »
I have never been worried about the hygiene of hair, if hair has touched the meat the bacteria or whatever was transferred. It is not the pee, poop, gland secretion, or whatever it really does not matter, I just hate having hair on my meat!  My mom was adamant about skinning carefully and getting it all when we were packaging and I am the same way.  If there is so much I can’t get it off with a paper towel or a something similar then there is too much and I will trim the area.

Something about the guys using a torch to get hair off just disgusts me, I have never done it but feel it has to impart a flavor and something about it just sets my teeth on edge. With few exceptions, I have never had enough hair to make that even seem like a good idea. I think if you take your time n handle a knife smartly then there should be little to no hair on a boned or field quartered animal and there is no reason to have more than a few errant hairs if you are skinning a hanging animal.

Offline RightPlace-RightTime

• Life is a collection of Memories-They are like starlight, They go on forever
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2019, 08:32:03 PM »
Good to hear responses
Thank you

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2019, 08:38:09 PM »
I think you might want to be kind to your friend and edit out the name of his company... because I’m pretty confident a lot of folks on here just discovered a butcher they won’t use in the future.  :twocents:

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2019, 08:45:01 PM »
The processor we take ours to will not accept deer or elk if there is hair present on the meat.  There is a very simple way to clean the hair off of a hanging carcass.  You can buy stainless steel sponges on Amazon or other sites which work like magic.  You just hang the animal to cool, and when it is dry use the sponges to wipe the hair off that is left on the meat after skinning.  The sponges are cheap........I buy them in packs of 12.  Just make sure to get the kind that do not have soap in them !!

https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Scrubbing-Scouring-scrubber-Kitchens/dp/B07CTHPJYK/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=stainless+steel+pads&qid=1570416100&sr=8-4

:yeah:
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline Tinmaniac

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2019, 09:14:18 PM »
I think you might want to be kind to your friend and edit out the name of his company... because I’m pretty confident a lot of folks on here just discovered a butcher they won’t use in the future.  :twocents:
The butchers job is to cut and process meat.They might pick out a couple obvious hairs but they don't spend a bunch of time cleaning what should already be clean.They cut what you bring them.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2019, 09:22:57 PM »
All of the butchers around me also do slaughter.  If any of them ever told me they felt hair on meat was acceptable, they would lose business from multiple beef growers around here (including us).

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2019, 10:32:05 PM »
I don't like to eat pee or poop or gland ooze.

You dont know what youre missin!  :EAT:

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2019, 05:13:01 AM »
One of the easiest ways to keep most hair off the meat I have found is to hang it head up while skinning. The hair naturally lays down towards the rear. Jest roll back the skin as you cut, and most of the hair falls away from where you are skinning.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 05:49:50 AM »
I don't like to eat pee or poop or gland ooze.

You dont know what youre missin!  :EAT:

Extra vitamins and minerals. Who needs one a day pills when you can eat elk wallow hair.
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal