collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Possible wolf sighting in Spokane? You decide  (Read 14680 times)

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Possible wolf sighting in Spokane? You decide
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2019, 09:30:07 PM »
I recently listened to Dr Geist on the Hunting Collective podcast. The behavior you guys are describing sounds fairly typically according to him.

If you have the time/daily commute to listen, I strongly recommend that episode. Very informative.

Offline borntoslay

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2019, 04:58:20 AM »
I just don't see a pet running like this one is 

Oh its a wolf, and trust me, to anyone other than my sister, and her family, "the pet" was all wolf.    As stated, Spokane is literally surrounded by them, so who knows.
My uncle who farms out in Ritzville has seen them out there if you can believe that.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

(  .  )(  .  )

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2019, 04:59:58 AM »
Will be nice if and when your Uncle is able to see them thru his scope and dispatch a few
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline borntoslay

• Scout
« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2019, 05:21:20 AM »
Will be nice if and when your Uncle is able to see them thru his scope and dispatch a few
Yeah I hope. Hes the guy you may or may not have heard about on the news

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

(  .  )(  .  )

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2019, 07:19:29 AM »
The entire region, 6+ states, is now normal range.  Coyote status would only improve attitudes, not solve the problems.  Wolf, hybrid or feral dog, the result is the same

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2019, 03:46:42 PM »
Why do they keep spewing the same old line about wolves being wary of humans? They are wolves, they have no reason to be wary of anything.

Talking points from the USFWS and fake environmental groups like WDFW, CNW, DoW etc.....
:rolleyes:
Or maybe it's just a fact supported by lots of evidence over many decades.

Those using "the talking points" have been exposed as outright liars why do you insist on defending whats been proven wrong? We now have decades of evidence in Idaho since re introduction and the narrative they used has been shown to be completely false. My personal favorite" They wont damage the deer or elk populations you will just have to be a better hunter"  :chuckle: You probably believe all the forest fires also have nothing to do with practically eliminating logging either. I don't care really but I don't get why people continue to defend the bull crap they fed everyone when we now have first hand evidence that it was in fact bull crap  :dunno: 

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2019, 04:23:46 PM »
Why do they keep spewing the same old line about wolves being wary of humans? They are wolves, they have no reason to be wary of anything.

Talking points from the USFWS and fake environmental groups like WDFW, CNW, DoW etc.....

Those using "the talking points" have been exposed as outright liars why do you insist on defending whats been proven wrong? We now have decades of evidence in Idaho since re introduction and the narrative they used has been shown to be completely false. My personal favorite" They wont damage the deer or elk populations you will just have to be a better hunter"  :chuckle: You probably believe all the forest fires also have nothing to do with practically eliminating logging either. I don't care really but I don't get why people continue to defend the bull crap they fed everyone when we now have first hand evidence that it was in fact bull crap  :dunno: 
:yeah:
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline idahohuntr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2019, 09:48:56 PM »

Your blabbing about a whole bunch of crap that I'm not going to waste time on.  All I said was there is ample evidence wolves are wary of humans...that general behavior is pretty obvious to anyone who has spent time in wolf country...pre or post legal hunting seasons.
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2019, 05:29:56 AM »
From what I’ve seen they aren’t very weary of people, seem more curious than anything .  Can’t even count how many times wolves have been spotted in Colville.  They say cougar are weary of people but how many have been spotted in town.  Remember the one last year I think that was killed on 5 mile that came in to guys house? 
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline bigdave

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2019, 09:12:47 AM »
I think we can most likely all agree that wolves and cats are generally wary of people, BUT there is always that one that makes the news.

Years ago, when I first started teaching, the janitor at our school was buffing the hallway floors one morning before school with a propane powered buffer that made a bit of a smell and a lot of noise. He had opened the double doors at both ends of the hallway to let out the exhaust smell and a cougar wandered into our school. Walked right down the hall and into a classroom. The janitor saw the cats back end going into the room and had the presence of mind to just close the door and lock him in the classroom. The IFG people came and darted it and removed it. 

There is always that one weirdo.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2019, 10:34:35 AM »

Always.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2019, 10:51:09 AM »

Your blabbing about a whole bunch of crap that I'm not going to waste time on.  All I said was there is ample evidence wolves are wary of humans...that general behavior is pretty obvious to anyone who has spent time in wolf country...pre or post legal hunting seasons.

85% run like hell when they see you. 15% don't has been my experience. They are WAY more skittish since we started hunting them. I called in a pack of wolves and shot one with a rifle and again 2 years ago had 6 come down a closed road right to me within 20 yards and I managed to get an arrow in 1 of them. I have had many other encounters where they got away. I don't think a wolf would be really wary of people in Washington since they are basically untouchable. That's decades of first hand on the ground facts in Idaho that everyone who spends time in Idaho wolf country should now have. Most of what "they" said has been proven to be false and we have decades of first hand knowledge to prove that. I know we wont see eye to eye on this ever but it seems like you always want to side with what the pro wolf biologist told us for years and we now have tons of evidence to the contrary. I know there is no real point to arguing this on the internet have a good hunting season. 

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2019, 10:55:24 AM »
I think we can most likely all agree that wolves and cats are generally wary of people, BUT there is always that one that makes the news.

Years ago, when I first started teaching, the janitor at our school was buffing the hallway floors one morning before school with a propane powered buffer that made a bit of a smell and a lot of noise. He had opened the double doors at both ends of the hallway to let out the exhaust smell and a cougar wandered into our school. Walked right down the hall and into a classroom. The janitor saw the cats back end going into the room and had the presence of mind to just close the door and lock him in the classroom. The IFG people came and darted it and removed it. 

BIngo! they treed a big tom across from my office last year in cda on Ironwood drive by the hospital. They also had a lion come in my kids elementary. Every year they have that one weirdo  :chuckle: we had a grizzly eating my neighbors chickens up by Silverwood. Animals are just like people some are kinda normal and you have a few weirdos that break the mold ha ha 

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2019, 11:15:28 AM »
Barry Gilbert speaks out quite a bit regarding the various "cultures" that he has seen between grizzlies in in different areas.  He mentioned that grizzlies in the mountains of Montana are very different than grizzlies on the coast, or even grizzlies in other mountain regions.  His running theory is that the various behaviors are oftentimes food-driven - areas with higher densities of food lead to less aggressive grizzlies, and the opposite in lower-density areas.

Maybe wolves are similar? :dunno:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2019, 08:41:49 PM »

85% run like hell when they see you. 15% don't has been my experience. They are WAY more skittish since we started hunting them. I called in a pack of wolves and shot one with a rifle and again 2 years ago had 6 come down a closed road right to me within 20 yards and I managed to get an arrow in 1 of them. I have had many other encounters where they got away. I don't think a wolf would be really wary of people in Washington since they are basically untouchable. That's decades of first hand on the ground facts in Idaho that everyone who spends time in Idaho wolf country should now have. Most of what "they" said has been proven to be false and we have decades of first hand knowledge to prove that. I know we wont see eye to eye on this ever but it seems like you always want to side with what the pro wolf biologist told us for years and we now have tons of evidence to the contrary. I know there is no real point to arguing this on the internet have a good hunting season.

:yeah:

Hunting and killing wolves in Idaho has changed their behavior a ton, anyone who disputes that or say's that wolves are just as wary pre or post hunting just doesn't know what they're taking about...at all.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]