collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Please Delete  (Read 4596 times)

Offline tonymiller7

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
Re: Hybrid bucks and point restrictions???
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 11:24:31 AM »
Get us a picture and we could tell you with a lot more certainty. Based on your description though, it sounds like the body is mostly whitey and the horns are muley, is that correct? In that case, I'd call it a muley according to the law.
I'm not asking for your buy off on whether or not it's a cross, strictly for the legality.  I give a pretty thorough description of what it looks like above. Unless wdfw tells him something different he's going with the 3 pt. Rule. 

Offline Samloffler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Pheasants forever, RMEF
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 02:37:37 PM »
What I was trying to say is that the wardens would probably base the decision on the antlers. If it's a whitetail rack, it's a whitetail and legal. If it's a muley rack, its a 2 point and not legal.

I didn't see a description of the antlers at all. You described the body as whitetail like, so I assumed the antlers were mule deer like because you're asking about hybrids.

Offline KopperBuck

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2019, 02:42:14 PM »
Get us a picture and we could tell you with a lot more certainty. Based on your description though, it sounds like the body is mostly whitey and the horns are muley, is that correct? In that case, I'd call it a muley according to the law.
I'm not asking for your buy off on whether or not it's a cross, strictly for the legality.  I give a pretty thorough description of what it looks like above. Unless wdfw tells him something different he's going with the 3 pt. Rule.

You say no mistake about it. That's pretty sure. How do you know? And if you know, why the question?

Offline tonymiller7

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 03:20:00 PM »

You say no mistake about it. That's pretty sure. How do you know? And if you know, why the question?

I know because I have looked at tens of thousands of game camera photos from this area, I know what whitetails and mule deer look like, I have also seen whitetail bucks running with mulie does here so I know it's a possibility. My question lies in the fact that because it is neither a whitetail or mule deer, do antler restrictions apply or not?

Offline KopperBuck

• Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2019, 03:22:42 PM »
Species fluid? Editing my post as I looked above. There's all kinds of abnormalities that exist. You just seemed damn sure. My curiosity has more to do with the actual rarity vs the perceived. Call a game warden or WDFW. No one here has that answer.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 03:35:35 PM by KopperBuck »

Offline tonymiller7

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2019, 03:26:03 PM »
What I was trying to say is that the wardens would probably base the decision on the antlers. If it's a whitetail rack, it's a whitetail and legal. If it's a muley rack, its a 2 point and not legal.

I didn't see a description of the antlers at all. You described the body as whitetail like, so I assumed the antlers were mule deer like because you're asking about hybrids.

That's not a good enough answer for me, it has muley coloring and larger ears so it could be mistaken if only looking at the head.  We're not trying to hide anything or sneak something by a gamewarden.  I want an answer and not an opinion.  I was hoping someone on here had come across this before which is why I posted.  The regional WDFW office couldn't even give me a good answer, they will get back to me after speaking to someone in enforcement.

Offline tonymiller7

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2019, 03:29:49 PM »
Species fluid? Curious, how do you know?
Well obviously whatever answer I provide you will be insufficient, So I will say it is a very educated guess.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2019, 03:35:04 PM »
looking at page 16 of the regs, which shows how to tell the difference (of pure breeds) it looks like the determination would come down to the tail and metatarsal glands...since it's a 2 point the antlers are of little help. If the tail shows it's a whitetail then you would be legal (there is no way to measure a metatarsal gland on a live deer by a hunter so that is a mute point). Personally, if it has a whitetail's tail then it would fall under whitetail regs IMO. Just be sure to have the tail if stopped by a warden, and maybe a copy of the regs, especially page 16.

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline tonymiller7

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2019, 03:36:31 PM »
looking at page 16 of the regs, which shows how to tell the difference (of pure breeds) it looks like the determination would come down to the tail and metatarsal glands...since it's a 2 point the antlers are of little help. If the tail shows it's a whitetail then you would be legal (there is no way to measure a metatarsal gland on a live deer by a hunter so that is a mute point). Personally, if it has a whitetail's tail then it would fall under whitetail regs IMO. Just be sure to have the tail if stopped by a warden, and maybe a copy of the regs, especially page 16.

Grade

That's part of the problem, the tail has the size and shape of a white tail but the bottom half of it is black.

Offline KopperBuck

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2019, 03:38:43 PM »
There's all kinds of abnormalities that exist. You just seemed damn sure. My curiosity has more to do with the actual rarity vs the perceived. Call a game warden or WDFW. No one here has that answer.

Offline tonymiller7

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2019, 03:41:05 PM »
There's all kinds of abnormalities that exist. You just seemed damn sure. My curiosity has more to do with the actual rarity vs the perceived. Call a game warden or WDFW. No one here has that answer.
I am damn sure, your sureness in my sureness isn't the point of my post.  I'm sure enough that it won't get shot without an official answer.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2019, 03:41:11 PM »
I'd hate for his first buck to get him into hot water and leave him in a legal bind. I'd pass on it.

:yeah:

In this case I would just go by the 3 point minimum rule.

:yeah:
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2019, 03:42:11 PM »

Grade

That's part of the problem, the tail has the size and shape of a white tail but the bottom half of it is black.

Thats actually very common for whitetails to have black at the end of the tail.  Some have none, many have a little, some have a lot.

Offline tonymiller7

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2019, 03:50:38 PM »
I think this has pretty much run it's course, this post was not supposed to be whether I did or did not get pictures of a hybrid.  If it was there would be pictures attached.  Thank you for your thoughts on the legality.  As it sits unless we get something from WDFW this deer gets a pass.

Offline KopperBuck

• Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2019, 03:50:44 PM »
I am damn sure, your sureness in my sureness isn't the point of my post.  I'm sure enough that it won't get shot without an official answer.

10-4

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw