collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GUN SAFES  (Read 997 times)

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
GUN SAFES
« on: October 07, 2019, 10:36:25 PM »
So in the last year I’ve had a friend that his friend lost his house in a fire, and one of my friends lost his house in a fire.

The friends friend had a dial safe and was able to open it, my friend had a electronic safe and wasn’t able to open it.

But with the right equipment it was opened with no damage to the contents.

Both safes had water, smoke intrusion, and corrosion on the guns to varying degrees, but the safes basically did their jobs.

My friends safe had paper that turned brown to blackish, and plastic covers on it that didn’t melt, cash money wash in perfect condition, some silver coins were tarnished from the heat I guess, or the water that got on them, plastic on guns wasn’t damaged, one knife wooden handle was darker than the part covered by the sheath, chip board shelves were warped, and the ammo in the safe didn’t cook off.

One take away is that electronic safes are just not smart to own due to fires, plus the off chance we get in a war where an EMP is used on us.

Any one else have any experience with safes they want to pass along?

"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline TRD1911

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
Re: GUN SAFES
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 11:01:42 PM »
A couple words of wisdom I was given was to make sure you bolt them down (thieves). Another was place them against an external wall. The thought process is that a structure fire wont be as hot on the exterior walls as there is less fuel around it instead of cooking on the internal portions for the duration of the fire.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
Re: GUN SAFES
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2019, 04:55:39 AM »
Good point, that’s how my friend had his setup.👍
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal