collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2019 Blacktail Early Season activity reports - anybody seeing bucks?  (Read 19398 times)

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: 2019 Blacktail Early Season activity reports - anybody seeing bucks?
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2019, 10:31:59 PM »
Deer Numbers are down in Kitsap and north Mason..and lots of guys go east for the first week...next week will see an uptick in people until modern elk starts...keep hitting area's you see sign...late next week the bucks should start moving..
  I don't know about the numbers in Kitsap but here in Mason the numbers seem to be up or at least par with last year.  I counted 13 does and fawns the other night in a field near here.

SShhhhhh........   :chuckle:
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2019, 10:34:15 PM »
Saw two different bucks cruising the street last night outside of Gig Harbor! Just at dark and a couple hours later 3x3 and 4x? big necks walking right down the road, no fear!! Getting close.

Local pets.  They have names and come when you call them.  Those folks don't take kindly to you killing their pets right in the middle of town either.  Go figure?!   :chuckle:
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline BONEHUNTERNW

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2019, 08:30:18 AM »
  I have probably 8-10 decent bucks show on camera from Spring through mid-August.  Time of day does not seem to matter, they show morning, mid-day, evening and night time with no real patterns I have detected yet.

Then poof - anything with more than 2 points is apparently abducted by aliens or something!  The abductions are timed to when the velvet goes away.  Not really seeing any rubs either. 

Yes sir, typical for the mature BT bucks. A theory that I happen to agree with is that when the bucks are in velvet their antlers are very tender/sensitive and they will spend more time out of their thick hidey-holes than they normally would to avoid those hard branches touching/rubbing, snagging at their sore head gear.  Once they've finally rubbed the velvet off (yep, that's where the vast majority of the BT rubs come from... velvet shedding), then they'll move back into their brushy fortresses until it's time to become a little dumber and come out to date some of the does  ;)   

Seems like a solid theory to me

I agree with this, I too had around 10 bucks on camera this summer. It was fun watching them grow and anticipating what they would become. However I'd say after week 1 sept they really dissapeared right about when they were out of their velvet. Didnt see much of anything for the later half of sept for bucks. First real sign of bucks, was after that cold snap oct9th. The next morning was blue bird and I had 3 different smaller bucks on camera. Two 2x2 and a 3pt with eye guards, smaller one though. Anyway I am hoping the rut brings the big guys back out, I have my eyes set on this guy he has a unique rack..... just gotta put in the tine

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2019, 09:49:57 AM »
No pun intended Bonehunter?  :chuckle:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2019, 11:19:18 AM »

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2019, 07:56:38 PM »
 :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2019, 08:10:03 PM »
Saw this one hanging with the doe in the grass for at least a half hour.

Offline LeeRay

• Pilgrim
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2019, 09:25:35 PM »
My husband got a deer tonight!!! Same place we've been staking out the past few days.

You guys all rock!!! If it wasn't for all the advise here I don't think it would've happened. Its not a huge buck, but we are still really stoked. Now I just have to fill my tag!!

Offline CavemantheHunter

• Scout
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2019, 05:42:14 AM »

It’s starting. This is mid-day in Lacey. Buck was pushing the doe.

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2019, 11:32:28 AM »
I saw a masher 4x4, plus eye guards, cruising at 10 a.m. this morning in my neighborhood. 

Offline LeeRay

• Pilgrim
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2019, 01:45:32 PM »
Deer Numbers are down in Kitsap and north Mason..and lots of guys go east for the first week...next week will see an uptick in people until modern elk starts...keep hitting area's you see sign...late next week the bucks should start moving..

Brought our buck to Farmer George in Port Orchard for processing and they are nearly full to capacity with deer from eastern washington. Busiest they've ever been. If I fill my tag we will have to call before we show up to make sure they have room.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Old Salt
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2019, 01:55:35 PM »

Brought our buck to Farmer George in Port Orchard for processing and they are nearly full to capacity with deer from eastern washington. Busiest they've ever been. If I fill my tag we will have to call before we show up to make sure they have room.

I wouldn't let that shop touch my animals..but I butcher my own so it's a non issue..

I know of more deer hit by cars in Kitsap than harvested..this next week should be better though.

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2019, 03:01:55 PM »

My hunting partner stopped in at the local butcher We use. They are full to capacity with wild game. unable to take anymore at this time. That's the first time I can ever remember this happening. Something must be going on?
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline npaull

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2019, 04:40:36 PM »
Saw a buck pretty tight on a doe today with a neck starting to get there west of Olympia. Broad daylight.

Offline elkrack

• Framer
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2019, 04:56:01 PM »
Watching a big buck right now and his neck is all swoll up! He’s pushing a 3 point around
life's tough its tougher if your stupid (john wayne)

If you ain’t first your last☝🏻

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw