collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2019 Blacktail Early Season activity reports - anybody seeing bucks?  (Read 19394 times)

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: 2019 Blacktail Early Season activity reports - anybody seeing bucks?
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2019, 10:25:15 PM »
My husband got a deer tonight!!! Same place we've been staking out the past few days.

You guys all rock!!! If it wasn't for all the advise here I don't think it would've happened. Its not a huge buck, but we are still really stoked. Now I just have to fill my tag!!

Happy to hear of your husband's success.  You're next. 

I'm up in Mason today.  Neighbor told me he saw a three point out at 8:00 AM walking the road.  I spend 5.5 hours in the box this afternoon in Kitsap, pissing rain, then thunderstorms and massive rain.  Saw 0 deer, 2 bunnies.   :tup:    Glad to be out of that weather.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #61 on: October 19, 2019, 05:01:42 PM »
Buck tending a doe on the side of an island. And one swimming across Lopez Pass . The doe was already on shore.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Offline fishngamereaper

• Old Salt
« Reply #62 on: October 19, 2019, 05:31:08 PM »
Typical pre rut stuff.... timing will be perfect .. another 4-5 days before wide open.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2019, 08:58:25 PM »
Another swimmer makes to to Decatur!  New genes for the swimming pool!

Edit:  BTW: excellent photo Loki
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 09:32:40 PM by fishnfur »
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2019, 09:09:58 PM »
Necks are not swollen up yet.  Saw a 2 point another hunter shot yesterday that was with 2 does.  He wasn't all swollen up yet either.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2019, 09:48:24 PM »
Ran into a couple of forkies today.  Temped on the larger one.  I'm not sure if he's two or three years old, but he had some weight to him.  Once i decided to pass them, I pulled out my phone.  Pretty hard to see them in their winter coats.  Let me know if you need help finding them in the video.

feature=youtu.be

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2019, 10:13:15 PM »
So anyway, those two bucks split up.  I ran into the smaller one about a hundred yards north of that spot, once I decided to move.  He was on on the far side of some smaller timber, and very close to my pop-u[ blind..  He was not at all happy to see me again, and exited quickly.   I went to the far upper corner of the property to pull my trailcam out of the woods and ran into the bigger buck just turning the corner of the 25 year old timber, right where my cam was.  As I got to that corner, I found that buck hanging with a doe, who was clearly surprised at my presence.  I turned my back to them and shot a quick video over my shoulder as she headed into the woods (the buck was clearly miffed that I was spoiling his date). 

With nowhere else to hunt, I pulled Scotch Broom for about 20 minutes or so as I worked my way back to my truck.  Out of the corner of my eye, I see the buck in full chase mode, the doe running for her life.  Both of them covered roughly most of the two  to three hundred yards around the edge of the property faster than I could pull my phone and shoot.I   got the last 75 yards or so of the chase but the video quality is a bit lacking, so I won't bother posting it.  All in all, a fun morning.

Offline Birdguy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2019, 10:21:27 PM »
Sounds like a good day for sure!! Saw a 3 pt in a yard this  morning about 8 with a couple does. They were eating he was sniffing!

Offline Mallardmasher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • IBEW LU 46
  • Groups: CCA WWA
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2019, 11:39:07 PM »
My bucks are all rutted up chasing does, have seen 5 breedings so far. It is an early rut year
USN 1985-94, IBEW Local 46 1994-Present
Matt

Offline deerhunter_98520

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Old Salt
  • Chief Executive Head Anarchist of YKWTSASFFRO
« Reply #69 on: October 20, 2019, 10:03:21 AM »
I was watching a doe for with 2 yearlings this morning and the doe started blowing and took off running . Spotted them again in the next cut over about 300 yds away and did the same thing but stopped about 60yds away and watched her backtrail. I expected a cat, coyote or somthing to be after them, then a 1.5yr old spike came out of the timber and started scent checking and chasing them around. The does wanted nothing to do with him and ran off in the timber.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 06:15:51 PM by deerhunter_98520 »
Official hunt-wa bigfoot field researcher!

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #70 on: October 20, 2019, 10:19:24 AM »
Another swimmer makes to to Decatur!  New genes for the swimming pool!

Edit:  BTW: excellent photo Loki

Thanks, he swam away from Decatur but onto a tiny piece of public land on the north end of the Paul Allen Lopez Island peninsula.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #71 on: October 20, 2019, 01:51:12 PM »
Seems like most of the daylight activity was taking place between 8:00 and 9:00 AM in Mason.  All the rifle fire occurred during these hours over the two days I was up there.  Trail cam pics confirm morning activity at that time as well.  Didn't see jack in Kitsap.  Very little rifle fire over many hours where I was.  I saw three mature doe in 2.5 days.  None had kids with them.

Offline 7mm Bob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #72 on: October 20, 2019, 02:12:17 PM »
I hunted two of my new favorite clear cuts this weekend. Saturday I walked in in the dark. Got there as it got good and light out. Scanning the cut there were four deer on the edge 104 yds away. I got hidden as best I could, got the binos out. Three does and a fawn. I watched them for at least half an hour thinking there should be a buck around. If there was he never showed himself in the two hours I was there. They eventually fed their way into the dark timber. Ended up soaked even with rain gear. No rubs or any sign there was a buck there.

Today I decided not to go back to that cut. Didn't want to push with no sign of a buck. Went to the other cut instead. Got the a little late 8:30. Glassed and glassed. Nada. I moved to the other side of the cut and again glassed repeatedly. About my third complete scan I could just make out a head about 200 yds away right in the very middle of the cut. Moved around a little to get a good look. Another doe. I moved closer, 86 yards away. She was solo. Didn't see another deer of any kind with her. After watching her for an hour she stood up and started feeding. Then she laid back down in the exact spot she was bedded in before. I snuck away with her never knowing I was there. No rubs or other buck sign there.

No success but I have a solid plan for next weekend.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2019, 02:28:11 PM »
Hopefully, you keep checking back on those doe. 

In my report earlier, I forgot to add that there was a tall crazy long legged buck (2 X ?) in my back yard at 1:00 PM when I got home and let the dogs out.  I didn't recognize the buck from my trail cam vids, but his eyes were bugged out of his head when he saw me turn the corner of the house.  He had some crazy antler shape on the left side .  The top of that buck's head was nearly at the 5 foot level and his anters were my eye level, and I'm six feet tall.  Possibly eating apples, possibly cruising for doe scent.  He ran like his ass was on fire when he saw me, and the dogs took chase till I called them back.  Ever seen a Yorkie chase a buck?   Hilarious!

Offline brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2019, 05:13:26 PM »
son in law plowed one yesterday right about this time...small horns, nice body. Literally 50 feet from the road.  when I walked up there I could smell it from the road.  Not swelled up but his tarsals were pee soaked and he stunk bad
beer---it's whats for dinner

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101