collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Manuel locking hubs  (Read 1892 times)

Offline hunthard

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Manuel locking hubs
« on: October 09, 2019, 04:06:52 PM »
So back in the day my dad had a 4wd truck, we used to lock the hubs in when we pulled off the road and headed up into the hills, when we came out we would turn the hubs back out, so here is my question, I replaced the hubs on my F350 with locking warn hubs, is it ok now to drive around with the hubs locked in?

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: Manuel locking hubs
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 04:27:17 PM »
Should be ok, having the hubs unlocked saves wear and tear on your front end. Most trucks these days just have everything spinning all the time.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Online Woodchuck

• GO TEAM!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Explorer
  • HuntWA Woodblock
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2019, 04:28:14 PM »
I would not for 2 reasons. 1. It's more rotating mass that can have some affect on mileage. 2. It keeps the axles spinning all the time and can cause more wear.  :twocents:
Antlered rabbit tastes like chicken

Inuendo, wasn't he an Italian proctoligist?

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2019, 04:47:02 PM »
I agree with both.Remember with locking hubs its unlocked the ring and pinion don't turn as your driving down the road so every once in a while it is suggested to lock them in to keep it well lubed so rust wont set in on ring and pinion.  :twocents: locked in driving on dry pavement if you have a posi can be pretty rough on the front end.  :tup:
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline Bullkllr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2019, 04:52:39 PM »
I agree with both.Remember with locking hubs its unlocked the ring and pinion don't turn as your driving down the road so every once in a while it is suggested to lock them in to keep it well lubed so rust wont set in on ring and pinion.  :twocents: locked in driving on dry pavement if you have a posi can be pretty rough on the front end.  :tup:
:yeah: I was just going to post that!
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline gaddy

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2019, 05:05:25 PM »
I wouldn't, With the different turning radius from rt to lft on the front end it could bind things up. I never locked in until I thought I had to and would unlock as soon as I thought I could. Several times I had to back up to unwind everything after being locked up, or it wouldn't unlock, too bound up. Older rig though and not so sophisticated as the new stuff. Like Woodchuck say's more wear on every thing, Including tires. Instead of rolling they are trying to bite and there goes the outsides.

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2019, 05:14:51 PM »
Transfer case engages and front driveline and diff are spinning. Hubs engage or disengage axles from wheel to ring pinion/diff.  I have manuals on my 06 Dodge.  I turn em for few miles when not in use and use 4 wheel drive to keep em good.  I do leave my hubs locked when I will be in out of 4wheel or weather might be bad on a drive.  Doesn't hurt anything to do that.  But they are manual for reason, to unlock and prevent wear.  So ya do what ya want but keep em out most times.  Also 2 wheel low is cool for backing up trlrs.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline sagerat

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2019, 06:38:55 PM »
Transfer case engages and front driveline and diff are spinning. Hubs engage or disengage axles from wheel to ring pinion/diff.  I have manuals on my 06 Dodge.  I turn em for few miles when not in use and use 4 wheel drive to keep em good.  I do leave my hubs locked when I will be in out of 4wheel or weather might be bad on a drive.  Doesn't hurt anything to do that.  But they are manual for reason, to unlock and prevent wear.  So ya do what ya want but keep em out most times.  Also 2 wheel low is cool for backing up trlrs.

:yeah: keep them unlocked most of the time but if you’re in the hills for a period of time leave’m locked, just like yer old man did. Won’t hurt a thing.

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2019, 07:05:38 PM »
leave them unlocked for normal use, turn them in as soon as you leave the pavement, then you can shift in from inside and it spins the grease up. LOL
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2019, 08:30:47 PM »
Put Warn Golds on my 2002 F 350 about 10 years ago after having a freeze up in snow/ice elk hunting. Never had a problem since. I lock them when I head out if I suspect I may need it. Turn them when I don't think I'll need them locked.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by timberghost72
[Today at 08:55:00 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101