collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for some advice... Modern/westside  (Read 3803 times)

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
Re: Looking for some advice... Modern/westside
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 05:49:00 AM »
Our rule is don't shoot limpers.SW WA is full of it.My guess is it came from a dirty farm.Cattle farmer had a infected group a didn't take care of it.They either sprayed the poop all over the valley or some of the big floods spread it out for miles.The further you get from that valley the less rot there is.

Then why didn't hoof rot show up a 100 years ago?
I know when I noticed it start showing up. And it didnt have anything to do with farms.

Offline Tinmaniac

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2019, 07:23:48 AM »
I wasn't around 100 years ago And I doubt you were either.They say it started around Boisfort and the surrounding valleys.There are a few cattle farms in that area that are filthy.Basically a giant open sewer hole.Not hard to imagine how animals that came in contact with that area could carry disease up in the hills.Are you saying it's impossible that infected animals carried it around?What is your explanation?

Offline bkaech

• Scout
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2019, 04:08:01 PM »
Thanks guys, great advice.  I alerted the local wdfw biologist in sept and gave him coordinates of the herd.  Didn’t seem like I was telling him something he didn’t already know.

Yah. They know the hoof rot is throughout SW Wa. They like the data so they can track prevalence rates, but they know it’s all over. My brother killed a hoof rot lone bull with his muzzleloader this year. It’s still going to eat well.

Offline 444Marlin

• Hunter
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2019, 12:50:30 PM »
Actually the rules no "require" you to leave the hooves in the woods, probably don't want then to get to someone in a lab and discover some tree growing chemical in them.

It is required to leave them in the woods. From the WDFW website:

https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/diseases/elk-hoof

State wildlife managers are asking for the public's help to monitor and prevent the spread of TAHD in several ways:

Leave hooves: Scientists believe that treponeme bacteria may persist in moist soil and spread to new areas on the hooves of infected elk. For that reason, WDFW requires hunters to remove the hooves of any elk taken in affected areas and leave them onsite. During the 2018-2019 hunting season, this rule applies to all western Washington GMUs.
Report elk: Hunters can help WDFW track TAHD by reporting observations of healthy or limping elk as well as dead elk with hoof deformities using the reporting tools on this page.
Clean shoes and tires: Anyone who hikes or drives off-road in a known affected area can help minimize the risk of spreading the disease to new areas by removing all mud from their shoes or tires before leaving the area.

Offline 444Marlin

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2019, 01:03:40 PM »
Back to your OP about advice on how to approach them...
Opening weekend tends to have a lot of pressure.  My strategy in high pressure areas are to move quietly into an area, and find a funnel or pinch point to sit where they might move through if they are pushed.  I also like to find the edges of timber and clearings to stalk at first light and the last few hours.  Mid day I watch thick timber patches that are near watering areas.

Use the wind to your advantage.  Sitting still in the rain can be miserable, so I sometimes have a small tarp to sit under and can make a little warming fire.  I typically get inpatient and start walking around.

Later in the season, I don't know where the elk go, but it's probably the deepest darkest piece of timber or vine maple that is impossible to sneak in on without making a noise.  Or private land.  Again, sitting on the edges of those areas waiting for them to get up and move around, might be productive.

Offline steeleywhopper

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2019, 06:48:46 PM »
If you are sneaking up on them just walk with a limp and they will think you are another elk approaching. Simple as that, good luck!
Politicians like Jay Inslee are the reason we have the 2nd Amendment

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU