collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Montana block management  (Read 4208 times)

Offline kramman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Montana block management
« on: October 11, 2019, 01:54:44 PM »
 Those of you who have used the BM in montana tell me about your success or lack of. I'm headed to s.e Montana n.e Wyoming  with a tag for each. I'll hunt a week with family then have a week to myself. There are plenty of bm areas scattered throughout the eastern half of the state. If I can hold out the first week. I may try to contact some of the type 2 areas the second week?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Montana block management
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 02:16:13 PM »
The reservation "system" is not so great, you have to call and hope they answer as I have never had a call back, nor would I expect one.  The very good units are booked in advance, so far in advance that if you do get through a minute after they are open there are no slots available for the season.  It's well known that you have to know the landowner to get in on the good areas during good dates.  For so-so land, I can sometimes get through and sometimes not and you may need to jump through hoops to get the written permission.  Once, I got a reservation, but it was mandatory to pick up the permission slip two weeks before the season.  The landowner can pretty much make up any rule they want regarding access.

That said, I use the ones where you can self register.  They are like public land - everyone and their brother knows about them and you can expect company during the busier times of the year.  They are options and I've killed animals on them.  I just wish they would go to an online reservation system ran by the state as opposed to the good old boy system.

Offline kramman

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 06:00:50 PM »
Ah! Not much different from washington written permission system. That's ok there is plenty of public land to hunt. I've never hunted east or north of billings but I see there is a ton of type 1 &2 bmas plus public.  Think I can find a place to stretch the legs. Even may try calling the field office in miles city.  Worth a try

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 06:21:13 PM »
Yeah, I don't bother with the ressie sites anymore.  The check yourself in sites can be good, especially if you are there outside the peak season (opening weekend and last week of the season, plus most Saturdays).  During the last week of the season, I have seen 20+ groups check in to a single unit in a day.

Get OnX or something that shows public, look for overlooked places where you have to get out of your truck and keep the BMA sites on your trapline and you should have plenty of areas to hunt.

The days where you could use OnX to find honey hole unknown public land are about over, seems like just about everyone is using the same strategy, but there is still a general reluctance to walk anything over 1/2 mile to check stuff out.

Offline kramman

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2019, 06:39:21 PM »
Thanks for the comments. No problem here getting out and walking. Yea I have the montana public land chip for my GPS. Itll definitely get a lot of use.  Just looking for some new places. My family likes to hunt in the same place every day. It's known to us. I like to venture out and see some new ground.

Offline kramman

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2019, 06:41:52 PM »
Most hunters in s.e. mt drive around pull up to a piece of public land and bring out the spotting scope.  After 10 or 15 mins they'll move on. Sooner if it's cold and blowing.  It may look flat and not hold deer but I know better.

Offline elkaholic123

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Montana Dirty Dozen,Life member RMEF,NAHC, WSF
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2019, 07:03:36 PM »
This buck came off BM in 2017 in northern Mt. Property did not get much pressure, was a walk in only area but I had permission to drive and retrieve animal 👍
elkaholic

Offline kramman

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 07:29:34 PM »
Beautiful animal there elkaholic. I've just got to hold out and not shoot the first 3.5 yrs old buck I see.

Offline Muleyslyr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 06:08:54 PM »
Go to the Montana website and have them send you the BM maps. They are free and cover the entire state for every hunting district. They are invaluable! I have found great country to hunt and have had great success with a little bit of research.

Offline Bigshooter

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 08:55:47 PM »
I have hunted a lot of different sign in BMA's and some are better than others.  One thing that I have found is that the smaller BMA's often times get overlooked. 
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline kramman

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 08:48:09 AM »
I've got all the maps and I've been trying to nail down some specific areas to target. The problem I'm having is I started to late in the game to get hotel rooms in all the smaller towns. They are all booked. I could just stay in billings and make day trips but would rather not. Ill just keep looking, I'll figure something out. May try and go further east... best of look to all.

Offline Tbob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: King co. Search and Rescue
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 12:08:08 PM »
Yeah, I’ve been loading up my onx with access to BMA’s from the map the state sent out. There’s also a ton of BLM land where I’m at too. Definitely too much area for one guy to explore in my week out there.  Good luck everyone!

Offline kramman

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2019, 02:58:00 PM »
Best of luck to you also tbob

Offline longrange7mm

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2019, 07:43:35 AM »
I hunted BMA for the first time this year. I found a type 2 that was walk in only  I had it all to myself for 6 days and had one other guy hunt it 1 day while i was in there. The BMA a few miles away was a type 1 and allowed road access it was xtremely busy. I was hunting 2.5-3 miles from the access point and found no other boot tracks past the first mile. I saw new bucks every day and ended up killing a mid 170 buck the 7th day
Never to far, Just grab another minute!

Offline jstone

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2019, 07:52:13 AM »
Nice job, that’s a dandy
That’s what you gotta do to get the big ones

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab