collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Intro into Muzzle loader  (Read 3614 times)

Offline boss24dogara

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Intro into Muzzle loader
« on: September 26, 2019, 01:04:49 AM »
Hello everyone, I just bought my first muzzle loader its a CVA WOLF .50cal and I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what powder to use. or to not use powder and use pellets instead. Going Dear Hunting at the end of the week trying to figure out what to buy . I know the manufacture recommends White Hots by IRM . But I wanted to know if anyone else has had success with them or to use some other type of pellet or just get some powder. I plan on using Powerbelts for the bullet .

Offline optic2

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: 2AF, FPC, GOA, BHA, RMEF
Re: Intro into Muzzle loader
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 01:24:06 AM »
How good of a shot are you on other rifles with open sights? I ask because you have a rifle you are unfamiliar with and are planning to hunt with it this weekend.

Offline boss24dogara

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 01:37:33 AM »
Im a pretty good shot I can hit what I am aiming at . Not the worlds best marksman but Im no slouch either.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2019, 03:44:21 AM »
Triple f pellets and powerbelt bullets in a cva

Offline SI Eagle

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2019, 06:55:56 AM »
I have a CVA Wolf and do NOT use pellets for powder. The breech plug is not conducive for pellets and you WILL get hang fires if you use pellets. Use loose powder!! Trust me on this. I use 100 grains of pyrodex and it works great. If you want to use pellets go ahead but you'll regret it.

Offline JakeLand

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2019, 08:08:19 AM »
I have a CVA Wolf and do NOT use pellets for powder. The breech plug is not conducive for pellets and you WILL get hang fires if you use pellets. Use loose powder!! Trust me on this. I use 100 grains of pyrodex and it works great. If you want to use pellets go ahead but you'll regret it.
ive shot several hundred rounds through my accura and have never had a hang fire not once and have strictly used triple 7 pellets with 209’s

Offline flyfishWA

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2019, 10:10:47 AM »
Hello everyone, I just bought my first muzzle loader its a CVA WOLF .50cal and I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what powder to use. or to not use powder and use pellets instead. Going Dear Hunting at the end of the week trying to figure out what to buy . I know the manufacture recommends White Hots by IRM . But I wanted to know if anyone else has had success with them or to use some other type of pellet or just get some powder. I plan on using Powerbelts for the bullet .
I have the same gun and get good accuracy and knock down power with 95 grains triple seven loose powder and 250 grain barnes t-ez
"speak softly and carry a big stick" Theodore Roosevelt

Offline SI Eagle

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2019, 10:38:07 AM »
ive shot several hundred rounds through my accura and have never had a hang fire not once and have strictly used triple 7 pellets with 209’s

CVA Accura and Wolf have different breach plugs. Just my experience since I own the same gun and an Accura too. He is more than welcome to shoot pellets is he likes but he asked and I am trying to save him a problem. Try it and find out for yourself.

Offline slavenoid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2019, 10:42:30 AM »
Not sure why pellets won't work when the owners manual reccomends imr white hots for "reliability and accuracy".

Offline dominknows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2019, 11:26:23 AM »
I plan on using Powerbelts for the bullet .
I would plan on using something else like a Barnes T-EZ or expander, unless you don't like your bullet expanding.  Seen it first hand more than once with friends. 

Offline M_ray

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2019, 12:37:30 PM »
I plan on using Powerbelts for the bullet .
I would plan on using something else like a Barnes T-EZ or expander, unless you don't like your bullet expanding.  Seen it first hand more than once with friends.

I dont have the same gun as you but I have a couple TC's so hard to say what your gun will like but my advise would be you need to test powders and bullets. I find every gun is different and no guarantee that what works for someone else will work for you. Not saying that it wont but Ive also seen it not work, you need to see what your barrel likes.

If you are set on shooting pellets then stick to musket caps or 209 if you want to shoot #11 caps stick with loose powder you 'll be glad you did!  ;) I personally am not a fan of powerbelts but if you can get them to group and not have any strange flyers then you may have more confidence in them than me. I have shot a number of other bullets that are better and gave away all the powerbelts I had. Good luck and have fun with it.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions expressed here are not those of HW Management, Admins, Mods or Myself... But they are the opinions of Elvis who has revealed them to me through the medium of my pet hamster, Lee Harvey Oswald...

MB

Growing old is mandatory ... Growing up is optional!

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2019, 01:23:37 PM »
Over the years I've seen many many failures with pellets. Certain combinations work well. People that use pellets will argue that it is a must. People that use loose will argue it is a must. But this is what I see. Pellets have some failures depending on ignition source, types of pellets used with ignition sources, general types of guns, some delay with hang fires for some, etc.
Loose powder just seems to always go bang. Consistently. Hard to argue with results that loose powder gives.
But the pellets are the new cool thing. And they are more expensive. But not for me.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

Offline bkaech

• Scout
  • Groups: BHA, RMEF, NRA
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2019, 07:57:54 PM »
I use pyrodex pellets and Barnes t-ez bullets in my cva optima. Works great for me but I agree with try multiple combinations. Muzzleloaders are all a little different, even 2 of the same model. Personally I’m not a fan of powerbelts, it did poor in my semi-scientific studies and am a big fan of the Barnes bullets. But the biggest thing is finding a combo that works well for you, not doing what everyone else says or does.

The best advice I can give is be diligent and careful about keeping powder clean and dry, before and while hunting.

Offline boss24dogara

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2019, 11:22:18 PM »
Thank you guys for responding thanks for the info!

Offline duckmen1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2019, 02:41:56 PM »
Just checking back to see how everything went for you on the deer hunt? How the gun and load data did for you as well as your hunt.
Maturity is when you have the power to destroy someone who did you wrong but instead you breathe, walk away, and let life take care of them.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal