collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Muley Reports Chelan and Okanogan Counties  (Read 18022 times)

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Muley Reports Chelan and Okanogan Counties
« on: October 16, 2019, 08:04:12 AM »
There has been alot of doom and gloom on here regarding the status of the deer herds in these two counties.  With all the early snow and cold temps it seems that this could be an epic season if the deer numbers are there.  I'd love to hear some first hand reports of what guys are seeing in these counties now that the season is on. 

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Re: Muley Reports Chelan and Okanogan Counties
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 08:08:53 AM »
Its been a concern of mine.  Usually with weather like this, it is an epic harvest, and down for the next 2 to 3 years.   Considering how poor the shape the herd is in, I have been concerned how detrimental this year could be.   My eyes have been on that weather forecast.   

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 08:16:32 AM »
So far...low harvest and the snow melted on the south facing slopes clear up to 6,000 ft (and above) so the mature deer (both bucks and does) didn't come all the way down. I was "back home" last weekend for the opener, and a full harvest moon lit up the nights sky Friday night, and on Saturday morning it was 17 degrees, which meant the deer bedded down and really didn't get up until the sun came all the way up, as they had their cud to feed on in the morning and didn't want to use up energy (stayed in their beds). We didn't see a lot of deer activity until 9:00 AM and by then a lot of the hunters had given up for the morning hunt...I know of a handful of bucks taken, but no backcountry mature bucks in the lowlands...reports from the backcountry are a lot of deer sign (again, feeding at night, bedding until mid-day) and tough hunting conditions due to the snow (what's left) being super crunchy...One more week and the pressure will be off.

Temps are rising and rain is expected this weekend... :)

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 08:21:30 AM »
we are already seeing groups of does down in town which is pretty early. No snow except for up high so not sure what is pushing them lower
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Ironhead

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 08:29:36 AM »
Pretty normal up here where I live, local Deer only so far. Snow line is around 7000. 
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 08:32:32 AM »
So far...low harvest and the snow melted on the south facing slopes clear up to 6,000 ft (and above) so the mature deer (both bucks and does) didn't come all the way down. I was "back home" last weekend for the opener, and a full harvest moon lit up the nights sky Friday night, and on Saturday morning it was 17 degrees, which meant the deer bedded down and really didn't get up until the sun came all the way up, as they had their cud to feed on in the morning and didn't want to use up energy (stayed in their beds). We didn't see a lot of deer activity until 9:00 AM and by then a lot of the hunters had given up for the morning hunt...I know of a handful of bucks taken, but no backcountry mature bucks in the lowlands...reports from the backcountry are a lot of deer sign (again, feeding at night, bedding until mid-day) and tough hunting conditions due to the snow (what's left) being super crunchy...One more week and the pressure will be off.

Grade

Thats exactly what I was hopeful for.   NOAA predicted another whopper to hit us this week.  So far it stalled or was delayed and warmer temps look to make it rain instead of snow. 

Tough sport or hobby.  You want to praise success, but on the other hand, you hope for herd health.   They really need to manage better. 

Offline Fatherof5

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 09:11:02 AM »
In my opinion, I believe that the State has no idea what condition our deer herds are in. I have been a subscriber to Bowhunter magazine for years. Every year they put out an issue with an article that gives the hunting info on each states' deer hunting. For the past several years the herd numbers for Washington, provided by the state, says 100,000 BT, 100,000 MD, and 100,000 WT. No change at all. And yes I am aware that I am siting only one example to back up my opinion.

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 09:26:47 AM »

Grade

Lot of does, seen a couple more bears, fresh cat tracks in the snow way up top. Pretty discouraging for me! 

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 09:33:05 AM »
We backpacked in to our high buck spot and hunted up to 8k and then got dumped on and wasted a few days in the snow. Deer were working down and we caught back up to them around 6500 and i think they held up there but they were definitely headed down Sunday/Monday.

One mature backcountry buck was taken by our group and it is fat fat fat. Fewer deer but they looked healthy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Muley Reports Chelan and Okanogan Counties
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 09:46:32 AM »
5500’ ish in the Pearrygin unit over the weekend.

Saw no deer in the snow but didn’t look very hard. Snow was noisy and we didn’t walk much in it. It was 20 degrees or so Saturday morning. Saw more deer down close to conconully on the outskirts of town but didn’t see any legal bucks, Nevermind any mature bucks. Saw a group of at least 5 2 point bucks together and saw 25+ does in 2 days of hunting. That hunting was some hiking, some glassing and admittedly some road hunting. Honestly didn’t hunt very hard and it was my first time ever in that area. Maybe could have seen more deer if we knew where we were going and if we spent some more time in our boots.

« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 10:04:38 AM by jackelope »
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline borntoslay

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 10:16:30 AM »
5500’ ish in the Pearrygin unit over the weekend.

Saw no deer in the snow but didn’t look very hard. Snow was noisy and we didn’t walk much in it. It was 20 degrees or so Saturday morning. Saw more deer down close to conconully on the outskirts of town but didn’t see any legal bucks, Nevermind any mature bucks. Saw a group of at least 5 2 point bucks together and saw 25+ does in 2 days of hunting. That hunting was some hiking, some glassing and admittedly some road hunting. Honestly didn’t hunt very hard and it was my first time ever in that area. Maybe could have seen more deer if we knew where we were going and if we spent some more time in our boots.

Those crocs are sweet 👌

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

(  .  )(  .  )

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 10:21:20 AM »
My friend saw 23 does and one spike in the Alta unit in 3 days of hunting. I hope the hunters success remains low over there.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline sooperfly

• Past Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Groups: sooperfly
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 10:58:21 AM »
I know of two very nice bucks taken, one of them their biggest to date.  It's very likely you'll be seeing their report here after they get out of the high country.   ;) ;)

In the Alta unit, one of my friends passed up two on Sunday, and took the third they saw.  My brother got his, a local buck.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 11:10:33 AM »
I have spent a lot of time and covered a lot of ground in the Chelan County areas during archery Muzzy and preseason. In most of my normal haunts/areas, the mule deer population is way down on cameras and actual sightings.
I covered a ton of ground last weekend of Muzzy just driving the roads, I could go for miles at a time in the snow and never see a deer or track. Very glad my quality permit is in a different area than this.
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2019, 12:34:21 PM »
There were several camps that were heading out early on Sunday Morning, where We were.  They must've been heading home early, or moving higher.  Snow level was above 5000ft & not much.   

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]