collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Where Can I (WE) HANG / AGE our Deer or Elk  (Read 4836 times)

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
Re: Where Can I (WE) HANG / AGE our Deer or Elk
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2019, 06:57:00 PM »
I don't see much benefit if any to hanging wild game, quarter it up and start processing away, use extra fridge in garage till you get it done :IBCOOL:
:yeah:
I hang it in my barn overnight with a fan on it to cool down then bright and early the next morning it gets broken down and put in my beer fridge while I cut it all up.  No need to hang to age, deer and elk are not beef.  Now, all my beef steers hand for 14-20 days.  :chuckle:

Offline hal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2019, 09:16:10 AM »
the no age theory is correct. Most butchers will agree. Wild game is very lean with little grain to break down. Butcher soonest.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2019, 10:00:55 AM »
Mine ages from the rockpile to the game bag to the backpack to the truck to home, then processed immediately.   :chuckle:

Offline Gobble

• Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2019, 11:47:34 AM »
Mine ages from the rockpile to the game bag to the backpack to the truck to home, then processed immediately.   :chuckle:

Mine too, I bone my out and put on ice within a hour or two of the kill

Offline jagermiester

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2019, 01:41:40 PM »
I would never butcher and freeze an animal that I have shot within the first 48 hours. You may be freezing in Rigor mortise. I killed a cow this year and we had some that night it was delicious but tough. We had the exact same cut (top round) off of the other leg 5 days later and the difference was very noticeable. Say whatever you guys want I will continue to hang my harvest for 3 to 5 days before butchering.
Lead em if they're running.

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2019, 03:51:50 PM »
I think Neah Bay has the cheapest place to hang ever. It costs $1 for each hanging hook per day. So for an elk 4 quarters = 4 hooks, five days hanging is $20 out the door.

I thought about building a walk in and realized I would be throwing away my money.

Offline Buckjunkie

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: USMC Vet, NRA Life Member, SCI Life Member, WAFNAWS Life Member
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2019, 04:42:32 PM »
IMO...aged improves taste and texture. Getting them cool as quick as possible is important also...with antelope it’s mandatory.

The problem is finding a spot to keep them while they turn colors. I just bought a 41 CU’ commercial refrigerator off Craigslist to solve that issue. I like keeping the quarters at 38 degrees until they turn dark red. Cool and dry!

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2019, 05:16:28 PM »
Killed an elk at 5:30 on Sunday evening and put the last of him in the Freezer Tuesday night. No hanging here unless you don't have time to cut it up immediately.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2019, 07:02:22 PM »
Two of the biggest myths in hunting:
1.  Cutting the throat of a dead animal will help it bleed out. (Once the pump is shut off, so is the pressure) 🤣
2. Aging deer and elk makes it more tender. ( You actually lose more meat by having to trim it off)

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2019, 07:44:15 PM »
Aging it in my freezer will be the best. Really! I mean it!  :tup:
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline Deerklr

• Pilgrim
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2019, 03:59:27 PM »
I see a lot of "opinions" on here.  First, I worked at a wild game processing business (aka Butcher).  It is an old wives tale to age deer and elk.  Deer and elk do not have the same kind of fat and enzymes that beef does.  Aging deer and elk does NOTHING for the meat.  The only thing you need to do for deer and elk is have them cool down.  Never take warm meat and package for the freezer.  If it is warm (60s), slice the meat down to the bone to open it up so it does not bone sour.  If you have to bone it out, then get it in a cooler in plastic bag and use ice blocks.  Do not let the meat get wet. Hanging meat cools from the outside in.  If you do not cool it down in a timely manner, the bone is the last to cool and it will ruin the meat.  If it is cool outside, let it hang in a dry cool place OUT OF THE WIND.  Then process the meat.  If the garage is cool, let it hang and bone it out when you can.  I have processed a lot of meat. Here is the mistakes:
1. Aging a deer/elk and then taking to a butcher. You will lose meat in the processing.  They cut the animals up in the order received.  We used to get to an animal that the hunter brought in after they "aged" is for a few days.  It then hung in the business cooler for a few more.  By the time we got to it, the meat was like jerky and had white "fuzz" growing on it. If you are not cutting it up, bring it to the butcher as soon as you can. (By the way...you will not get just your meat back...only time that happens, is if it is well after the season).  You should get your steaks and roasts back, but the grind products will be a mix of other customers.
2. Don't take it to a butcher, learn to do it yourself.  Not everyone is careful in the handling of the meat...drag it the entire way to the rig, hair all over it, gut shot and not cleaned properly...list goes on.
3.  Bring your trim/grind to the butcher for pepperoni, burger etc...a couple months after the season.  Call the butcher to see what the minimum is for their products they make.  This way you get your own meat back!
4.  Grinders...buy a 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 horse grinders.  Cabelas has a lifetime warranty, and the grinders are quiet compared to a LEM.

If you are in the Kitsap County area, message me and I will try and assist you.  Life is better processing an animal without having to pay an ass ton to the butcher.  As for deer and elk roasts/stew...add a few tablespoons of vinegar when cooking, it will make it fall apart.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2019, 04:16:15 PM by Deerklr »

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2019, 05:41:13 PM »
 :yeah: Totally!
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline Bucks2Ducks

• Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2019, 06:12:15 PM »
Vinegar huh, never tried it. But I have been struggling on trying to find a way to make my deer and elk roasts more tender. I'll give it a shot, Thanks!
When the buffalo are gone we will hunt mice, for we are hunters and we want our freedom-Sitting Bull

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2019, 06:27:08 PM »
Vinegar huh, never tried it. But I have been struggling on trying to find a way to make my deer and elk roasts more tender. I'll give it a shot, Thanks!

Cut it up and can it.......seriously!!!!!  it is like pot roast in a jar and is moist, tender and just plain delicious.    :tup: :tup:

Offline Deerklr

• Pilgrim
« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2019, 10:48:32 AM »

-Thaw the roast to room temp
-Salt/Pepper/Minced Garlic to taste
-Brown all sides in either oil or bacon grease
-Place roast in crock pot, with two cups of beef broth and my wife says a two tablespoons of vinegar (I always add 1/4 cup).  Apple vinegar is ok to use too.
-Cook on high for two hours and low for six hours or UNTIL it is fork tender.

This works overtime for Moose, deer (Blacktail, Whitetail, Muley), elk etc...

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]