collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blacktail strategy questions  (Read 1098 times)

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
Blacktail strategy questions
« on: October 18, 2019, 08:23:14 PM »
I have a couple questions for some of you devoted Blacktail hunters. I have only hunter Blacktail a a couple of times, normally after mulies and whitetail. But, I went out today, actually ended up scouting because I left my license and tags at home and so the rifle stayed in the truck.

So what I found today was a bucks home, rubs old and new; a fresh scrape and some huge dung. And a nice patch of chanterelles!

First question: now that I walked around in his home and spread my scent in there, will a buck leave the area if his home is disturbed and if he doesn’t how long until he is back there using it again?

Second: how do you hunt this? It’s hard to approach quietly. I could use my climbing tree stand but again the approach. Still hunting?

Third: would waiting until closer to Halloween be better? Would he still be using is home or would he be gone, chasing tail?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 09:20:28 PM by jmscon »
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Blacktail strategy
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2019, 08:30:30 PM »
Don't over think it to much. Is this near a clearcut?
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
Re: Blacktail strategy
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2019, 09:19:15 PM »
There is an area adjacent that has been thinned but the salal and the other plants are 7’ tall in that area. There are deer tunnels through the brush.

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
Re: Blacktail strategy questions
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2019, 09:33:26 PM »
This is a really small piece of huntable land in the middle of private.

Offline Justdecent

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2019, 09:56:30 PM »
I agree with Turner. Don’t overthink it. Keep the wind in your face, move excruciatingly slow, and keep your eyes peeled. That’s really all there is to it. I’d wait for a good rainy/windy day and creep through there.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2019, 10:14:01 PM »
My readings and video watching suggests that it might be best to stay on the perimeter of the bucks core area.  Try to figure out how he comes and goes.  This might be a better option during the early season though.  I typically find buck hideouts in the winter when I'm working in the woods.  I try to stay away from them during the season in order to keep the buck feeling safe.  I have no idea if that actually works.

In the next ten days or so, he will be on the move a lot and returning whenever he pleases.  There's probably no right answer how to hunt the situation, but stinking the place up day after day with human scent is probably a bad idea.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2019, 10:59:50 PM »
It sounds like it will be tough to hunt, but if I were you, and had a climber tree stand,  I'd locate the game trail that crosses the road you came in on that's near this spot. Find a tree that you can climb and watch that crossing, and possibly  into that area your talking about. It requires a bunch of patience to do this all day. If you can see into that older cut keep your eyes open for a tree moving from him rubbing. I got my buck last year in a 5-7 year cut that way.
 Unless you have some real crappy weather I wouldn't try going in after him.

" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2019, 11:09:03 PM »
Times two on the tree moving when nothing else is.  Key in on weird things going on in the area, even if you don't see deer.  Squirrels or birds suddenly going off endlessly for no reason. 
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal