collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Taxidermist-breach of contract?  (Read 11806 times)

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Taxidermist-breach of contract?
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2019, 12:19:31 PM »
@Odell PM sent.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2019, 02:52:16 PM »
Not knocking the OP specifically but threads like this are just bad taste. If someone has wronged you then put their name out right away so others are not caught in the crossfire.

Honestly, what's the point of complaining and telling everyone your concerns and you don't mention the other party that has caused you harm?

Pointless.

I didn't take it as a knock personally, I could have worded it differently and I am frustrated by the lack of communication so I guess I am complaining. That said I haven't posted the business name or location and I have about six pms asking me about it and I haven't told anyone the business name. I want him to do be able to do his best work and get caught up, not have to deal with online complaints about his business.

What I am asking---generally--- when others have faced this frustratingly common experience---if anyone has ever gotten their capes/antlers/deposits back from a taxidermist and gone somewhere else? There is no he said/she said here other than my claim of 12-16 months which is what I was told, exact quote was "more like 16".

The facts are I took a deer in to this shop in Oct 2017 and another in November 2018. 2 years is a long time to wait on a deer shoulder mount, especially when 16 months was the long end of it and there has been no communication.
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2019, 02:55:43 PM »
Not knocking the OP specifically but threads like this are just bad taste. If someone has wronged you then put their name out right away so others are not caught in the crossfire.

Honestly, what's the point of complaining and telling everyone your concerns and you don't mention the other party that has caused you harm?

Pointless.

I didn't take it as a knock personally, I could have worded it differently and I am frustrated by the lack of communication so I guess I am complaining. That said I haven't posted the business name or location and I have about six pms asking me about it and I haven't told anyone the business name. I want him to do be able to do his best work and get caught up, not have to deal with online complaints about his business.

What I am asking---generally--- when others have faced this frustratingly common experience---if anyone has ever gotten their capes/antlers/deposits back from a taxidermist and gone somewhere else? There is no he said/she said here other than my claim of 12-16 months which is what I was told, exact quote was "more like 16".

The facts are I took a deer in to this shop in Oct 2017 and another in November 2018. 2 years is a long time to wait on a deer shoulder mount, especially when 16 months was the long end of it and there has been no communication.
its your right to ask for your deposit back. If the cape is tanned he may charge you for that and or if he ordered the form. Either way it’s your property.
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline westside bull

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2019, 03:02:58 PM »
Two years is way to long go get your stuff.

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2019, 03:04:57 PM »
Would you PM me which taxi your talking about please, I've always supported a certain taxi on here and I hope it's not him.  I paid for a bear skull over 2.5 years ago to get euro'd, nothing yet.  I've called but keep getting, oh we are getting on it.  It sucks because I have really respected the guy and his word for years, not sure what is going on.

2.5 years on a Euro mount!?!

For all, what is your personal expectation for euro mounts?
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline Odell

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2019, 03:08:23 PM »
Would you PM me which taxi your talking about please, I've always supported a certain taxi on here and I hope it's not him.  I paid for a bear skull over 2.5 years ago to get euro'd, nothing yet.  I've called but keep getting, oh we are getting on it.  It sucks because I have really respected the guy and his word for years, not sure what is going on.

I took a bear skull into Cedar River Taxidermy in June of this year and I have it back already and it looks great. Also, this is NOT the same taxidermist I took my deer too
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Explorer
« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2019, 03:54:02 PM »
I can say that the names that were mentioned earlier in this thread (prior to me editing them out) have no involvement.

OP has decided to not name the taxidermist and is merely looking for input from members on what his options are for getting his stuff back.

My advice is talk to the taxidermist in person, go to the shop.  See where the 2017 deer is in line.  My guess is it is very close.  I would probably leave it there to have it finished.  Then I would talk about the 2018 deer.  That one I might ask about paying for the caping and tanning that is done and take it elsewhere.  The taxi loses a little business on the second deer but it hopefully frees up his schedule to get caught up on other peoples mounts.

Just my  :twocents:

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 07:58:09 AM by Rainier10 »
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline HntnFsh

• Old Salt
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2019, 08:13:49 AM »
Depending on what the Taxi says that really isn't a bad plan. It would take another year to year and a half to get the first buck done at a different shop. But from the sounds of things it could take that where its at. If the taxi has the cape and the form it shouldn't take long to get it done.

Offline Angry Perch

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2019, 10:43:13 AM »

I took a bear skull into Cedar River Taxidermy in June of this year and I have it back already and it looks great. Also, this is NOT the same taxidermist I took my deer too

That's a different thing altogether, as I think he sends them out to be done.
Low T Beta Male
Domesticated simpy city dwelling male

Offline Qaib Thai

• Tracker
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2019, 10:54:01 AM »
I took one of my deers to get mounted. Asked about turn around time and was given 12-16. Took over 2 years and if it had not been for me calling a few times to the taxi it probably would’ve been longer. The thing that made me angry was the fact that he finished other mounts that was 1 year after mine. I know for a fact cause some of my uncle’s took theirs to him the following year and got there’s back before me.

Offline blindluck

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2019, 01:25:31 PM »
Probably slipped them a twenty.

Offline Sundance

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2019, 03:43:57 PM »
I’ve had my fair share of interesting experiences with taxidermists, each situation is different and I hope the OP finds resolution to this one.

Twelve years ago I went on a guided hunt back east and took several animals. I went with the local shop that the outfitter recommended and left ½ deposit with my capes, skulls and antlers. After two years of broken promises on the timeline and no picture updates I finally cut my losses and walked away. They wanted me to send the 2nd half of the money without picture confirmation and before the work was “complete”. That taxidermist ended up stealing over $15,000 from customers and skipped the state, I never recovered any of my capes or skulls/antlers.

About ten years ago I took a buck to a taxidermist that used to be a site sponsor here. After 4 ½ years of waiting I finally called them out on this forum and recovered my cape, antlers and half of my deposit. While this taxidermist (I’m not sure if they are currently in business and they are no longer a site sponsor) produced high quality work their communication was horrible. Ignored calls, texts and even a few “surprise” visits from me yielded zero results. They were over extended and decided to play ostrich rather than confront the issue and rectify the situation, poor business practice.

About six years ago I harvested a beautiful mature blacktail and caped the deer (removed the cape from the skull) and froze the cape until the spring. I called around and chose a local shop who offered a fair price and a quick 4-month turn around. Having worked for a fur buyer in the past I am more than capable on trophy care and produced a perfect cape for them to tan then mount. When I went to pick up my mount the poor quality of tanning and lack of care for the mount did not reflect the price they asked for. I removed the skull cap that day from the mount only to discover that they hadn’t removed all the flesh from the skull and live bugs had already began to infest the mount. I returned the mount (without the antlers) and was given a full refund from the taxidermist, they kept the mount (with my cape) to use for a future customer and I left with my antlers and money.

I met a taxidermist through this site who offered me deal on a stock cape and to remount my buck. When I went to pick up my remounted buck I was absolutely amazed and the quality that this new outfit produced. I have since then taken multiple animals to this taxidermist and recommend several friends there as well. This outfit I currently use is not the cheapest and has a longer lead time than most. They do however produce the best mounts that I have ever seen which constantly receive compliments from my house guests. On several occasions I have had non-hunters remark that the mounts in my house look as though they are ready to blink and come to life, the work is that good.

I’ve learned that cheap work isn’t good, good work isn’t cheap and lead times can be deceiving. Usually a long lead time means that the taxidermist is highly skilled and people are willing to wait for the quality they produce (with a few exceptions). Phil Soucy is arguably the best cat taxidermists in the US which is why he demands top dollar and a lengthy lead time. The quality of work a taxidermist is capable of producing and the time frame they advertise varies from business to business. Everyone’s definition of “fair price” and “reasonable time frame” is different and it’s up to the client to decide what they are ok with.

Poor communication is always a recipe for disaster and a good business should stay on top of relaying to their customers what the situation is. Personally I’m ok with long lead times and high prices for a quality mount that's going to last a lifetime, just keep me appraised of the situation especially when you are going to miss a deadline. Again, I hope the OP finds resolution here and they come to an understanding with the taxidermist in question.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 04:05:24 PM by Sundance »

Offline lamrith

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/pelletpeddler/
    • Pellet Peddler LLC
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2019, 04:40:41 PM »
As many have mentioned, to me the biggest thign is communication  If I have a real trophy, something I may never get a chance to top in my life I have no problem spending top dollar and waiting to get it back.  It is worth it, BUT I expect the Taxi to be honest with me and tell me he has a 24month or 36 month wait right up front.  If he is that good, I will understand and be willing to wait for the quality. 

But saying 12mos when you are actually 24+ that is just not acceptable, period.  Life happens, mistakes happen, delays happen, but doubling the quoted timeframe or more is not a delay and not communicating that you are behind on a project is unacceptable.  Odell I hope you get some sort of resolution for your situation. 

There seem to be so many bad Taxi's we hear these stories every year, I wish there was a way for us to have some sort of good/bad list for members to check a taxi before they take their animals in.  Some (myself included) are not accomplished hunters and do not get mount worthy harvest every year, so if we get a decent animal down they are precious to us.  Losing one or having one in limbo would be torture.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2019, 11:01:21 AM »
A lot can happen in a year, or 16 months. 

Anything predicted out that long would be taken as a very rough estimate. 

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2019, 06:56:37 PM »
Just because a person is a good taxidermist doesn't automatically make them good at business. Most small businesses fail and often it is not because they have a bad product or service to offer it is because they don't have a clue about running a business. I suspect that most of the taxidermist that people have problems with probably do fine work but should also probably be working for someone else with a solid business plan instead of being self employed.  :twocents:
If you're a Nigerian Prince with an inheritance to share, please call 1-800-Mar-a-Lago now. We're getting desperate here.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal