collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Steve rinellas blue mountains bull hunt  (Read 30495 times)

Offline millerwheeler

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Get out and put some miles on those boots
Re: Steve rinellas blue mountains bull hunt
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2019, 12:45:01 PM »
Just wait for all the replies that he ruined the unit and ruined a tag opportunity and blah blah it was never a secret people
draw odds definitely got harder for archery in the unit this year.  I don't think it's totally his fault.  I think the decreased tag numbers for the Yakima are GMUS had people looking at other tags to apply for.

I'm sure that has a much larger role to play in it.  Not to mention that archery and muzzle  hunters are in the road looking for better season , opportunity   and less people  probably isn't helping just was laughable she  in some of the other posts they blame meateater directly . Until  we see change on predator management,  actually having bios  in the field looking at the real picture of what's going on we will see harder odds and declines everywhere and of course the most popular areas will hurt first

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2019, 04:28:51 PM »
Just wait for all the replies that he ruined the unit and ruined a tag opportunity and blah blah it was never a secret people

I guess I don't really understand the logic of this. Nothing is a secret. But there are still lots of people who don't know where to apply and don't know the first thing about certain units. Shoot I had a hunter try to turn me in for poaching for using a rifle in september when I posted a picture of me on the high buck hunt.  This is a guy who has been hunting 30 years in WA and had never heard of the high buck hunt.

Normal etiquette in the internet age is to avoid naming spots. Just because a hunt is hard to draw doesn't mean it can't get harder. This bump in applications was predicted and a bunch of people were quick to defend Rinella and said it wouldn't happen. It happened and now people are saying "well its because of season dates, etc..."

I don't really understand why people defend Rinella on this when he himself called it the greatest regret of his professional career. We don't have to keep dragging him but lets not pretend it was ok.
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2019, 06:19:09 PM »

I guess I don't really understand the logic of this. Nothing is a secret. But there are still lots of people who don't know where to apply and don't know the first thing about certain units. Shoot I had a hunter try to turn me in for poaching for using a rifle in september when I posted a picture of me on the high buck hunt.  This is a guy who has been hunting 30 years in WA and had never heard of the high buck hunt.

Normal etiquette in the internet age is to avoid naming spots. Just because a hunt is hard to draw doesn't mean it can't get harder. This bump in applications was predicted and a bunch of people were quick to defend Rinella and said it wouldn't happen. It happened and now people are saying "well its because of season dates, etc..."

I don't really understand why people defend Rinella on this when he himself called it the greatest regret of his professional career. We don't have to keep dragging him but lets not pretend it was ok.
Sorry but this gets old people acting like it's their special area just because other people might not know about a certain tag.
The special tags are no secret get over it this is why is as sportsman are losing the battle with antis they love reading these type of divides
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline millerwheeler

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2019, 07:35:11 PM »

I don't really understand why people defend Rinella on this when he himself called it the greatest regret of his professional career. We don't have to keep dragging him but lets not pretend 

O it's totally ok could  care less if he name the dang coordinates at the end of the day  there will be animals there again , there will be hunters there again . And about the extra people putting in for draws most people don't even know the areas they apply for so who really cares you should in fact thank him since  hunting is on the fall  and if anything he created more interest to possible first  time hunters.      And your wait the age of the internet nothing should surprise ya   people have already been there  . And someone will always get a bigger animal at some point no really that big of a deal great for him

Offline elkchaser54

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2019, 04:14:45 AM »
I'd guess close to 50% of people drawn in the blues have never been there before or it's been ten years.  I wished more people would watch his hunt and see how vertical that country truly is. The only roads are on the tops and the elk live in the bottoms. Did that just give away too much blue mountain secrets ?? Your draw odds are less then a point 1 percent chance, 30 or 40 more people in the draw affects it so minuscule.  But let's keep debating this cause I need more entertainment!!!!!

Offline nwwanderer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2019, 05:01:26 AM »
Been there, done that and the T-shirt smelled like the dead bull!!! 

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2019, 07:22:17 AM »
There are elk in the blues?  How do I get a tag?

Honestly, to call that tag a secret is like saying it's a secret there are salmon on Possession Bar in September.  You could look at the applicants/tag in WDFW's regs, the percentage of 6 pt harvest, look it up in Eastman's, GoHunt, this board, any board, Facebook, YouTube or just ask the random elk hunter on the street where he wants a tag.

It may be changing, but that was the go-to place to apply if you want a crack at a big bull.  This is coming from someone that didn't grow up here, is largely self taught and has been to the Blues exactly once with a deer tag.

Every elk state has one or two of these places and they are not secret in any way.

The good news is you won't see a flood of out of state people applying for the Blues after watching the show.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2019, 08:18:55 AM »

Sorry but this gets old people acting like it's their special area just because other people might not know about a certain tag.
The special tags are no secret get over it this is why is as sportsman are losing the battle with antis they love reading these type of divides

I think this is a non-issue, at least in this thread.  :dunno: "...old people..."  :chuckle: You very, very funny.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2019, 08:19:48 AM »
The long and short of it is that this whole fiasco changed the odds from say 2.5% to 0.4% odds with 15 points...or thereabouts. Odds are terrible, they were always terrible...but now they're 5x more terribuller.
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2019, 08:32:06 AM »
Well, I guess someone is having an issue - my bad.

The long and short of it is that this whole fiasco changed the odds from say 2.5% to 0.4% odds with 15 points...or thereabouts. Odds are terrible, they were always terrible...but now they're 5x more terribuller.

The year I moved here 30 years ago, I knew about the Blues and their bulls. I doubt very much that this show is going to increase the pressure on tags by 5 times. By your thinking, should hunting shows not say where the host is hunting? Should there be no hunting shows? Do you not see a value in what Rinella does for hunting and it's public profile? What about all of the YouTube videos of people taking down big bulls? Are they ruining your chances, too? Some of those have tens of thousands of views.  :dunno: I hope you draw a nice tag with all of your points and personally, don't think that a positive show about hunting is going to have much effect on that.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2019, 08:45:29 AM »
I'd guess close to 50% of people drawn in the blues have never been there before or it's been ten years.  I wished more people would watch his hunt and see how vertical that country truly is. The only roads are on the tops and the elk live in the bottoms. Did that just give away too much blue mountain secrets ?? Your draw odds are less then a point 1 percent chance, 30 or 40 more people in the draw affects it so minuscule.  But let's keep debating this cause I need more entertainment!!!!!

this is entertaining in an irritating way  :chuckle: I don't even live in Washington and have never had a big game tag there AND I knew that was the area to put in for. This paranoia over ruining draw odds that start with .0 then a number is hilarious. That's like announcing someone won 200 million in the lottery and damn were all screwed now everyone will play!! there goes our odds on the lottery  :chuckle:. The only negative possibly would be a flood of out of state hunters to start putting in and with how Washington has it set up for out of state hunters that will likely NEVER happen. Unless a miracle happens and Washington starts having Arizona type elk to hunt. Washington is way to expensive to justify applying as a non resident unless you have another reason to hunt otc there and very few hunters do.   

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2019, 08:48:53 AM »

Is that because of more applicants or less tags available?

Offline banishd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2019, 08:50:44 AM »
Only people with a TV show put in for non res tags in Washington as they can actually get drawn somehow............

Offline millerwheeler

• Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2019, 09:16:16 AM »
Only people with a TV show put in for non res tags in Washington as they can actually get drawn somehow............

Actually he was a resident  at time of drawing

Offline Sutherland

• Longhunter
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2019, 09:23:41 AM »
 :yeah:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:04:10 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab