collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Steve rinellas blue mountains bull hunt  (Read 30489 times)

Offline Platensek-po

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Re: Steve rinellas blue mountains bull hunt
« Reply #90 on: November 14, 2019, 10:38:21 AM »
As I’ve said before. They’re great ambassadors but I also agree with “loose lips”.

Karma?
The meateater crew has lost 3 or 4 bulls this year.

3 or 4?? I only know of one and then some of rinellas bull.

Pretty sure the way he shows his reaction and talks about how he feels after the bad shots means a lot more to most people than just showing a
Picture perfect hunt each time. But what do you care? You have already condemned him forever for talking about a public land hunt location.
“Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary.”

If you are not willing to die for freedom then take the word out of your vocabulary.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2019, 11:03:56 AM »
They lost 3-4 bulls???   What!??

I'm waiving the BS flag, unless someone can convince me otherwise  :dunno:

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #92 on: November 14, 2019, 11:08:33 AM »

I think you have to keep up with the podcast and articles and read between the lines to get this info, I'm not current but heard about Ole Cal losing most of an Oregon bull after his shot broke the front leg and it fell like 600-700 feet. Died from the fall and was mush. He also lost a bull in maybe Arizona or New Mexico, forget which, where he arrowed a bull and they found it a few days later.

Could just be bad luck, could be that after a lot of rifle hunting they are hitting a re-learning curve with archery.
what in the wild wild world of sports???

Offline Sundance

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #93 on: November 14, 2019, 11:15:54 AM »
Anyone can have a crappy year. Of the 3 animals I've lost in my lifetime two were the same season and almost back-to-back. Nice forked horn in the western WA late rifle, then a cow in the late archery (about 10 days apart). That was a long, depressing winter. The next year I hit it with a new drive and had a perfect season. To each their own...

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #94 on: November 14, 2019, 11:17:17 AM »

I think you have to keep up with the podcast and articles and read between the lines to get this info, I'm not current but heard about Ole Cal losing most of an Oregon bull after his shot broke the front leg and it fell like 600-700 feet. Died from the fall and was mush. He also lost a bull in maybe Arizona or New Mexico, forget which, where he arrowed a bull and they found it a few days later.

Could just be bad luck, could be that after a lot of rifle hunting they are hitting a re-learning curve with archery.

but that wasn't all in one year?

Offline Odell

• Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #95 on: November 14, 2019, 11:19:59 AM »

but that wasn't all in one year?

Those two for Cal are both this fall

Offline Odell

• Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #96 on: November 14, 2019, 11:27:12 AM »
Anyone can have a crappy year. Of the 3 animals I've lost in my lifetime two were the same season and almost back-to-back. Nice forked horn in the western WA late rifle, then a cow in the late archery (about 10 days apart). That was a long, depressing winter. The next year I hit it with a new drive and had a perfect season. To each their own...

I agree. A bad result can happen on the best shot. Its just human error and it happens to everyone. If its happening to someone taking 80 yard shots I'd be unhappy about it, but both of these sounded like good shot opportunities with a bad result. It has happened to me and it makes you sick. Talking about it is better than hiding it.

To the point raised about 3-4 in one year, there is an issue with all these hunting celebrities (not just MeatEater) where the desire or pressure to get an animal down and on instagram or youtube leads to riskier shots imo. Not saying that happened to Cal specifically but generally its a problem. 

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #97 on: November 14, 2019, 11:32:48 AM »
Just throwing it out there.
It happens.
As I preface each time I post on them specifically they are likely the greatest hunting and public land ambassadors we have today...actually I feel that is without question.
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #98 on: November 14, 2019, 11:33:00 AM »
I can agree with both of you in the last two posts,  but the statement: "the meateater crew has lost 3-4 bulls this year" is still shocking

Offline Sundance

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2019, 11:36:12 AM »
I judge their character based upon what happens after they lose an animal. If they beat themselves up over it as opposed to "no big deal" then that matters. Also if they go out and practice harder/start earlier I respect that. I went 10+ years without losing an animal archery hunting, definitely got a little cocky and up on my high horse. Lost two animals in under two weeks and came back down to earth extremely humbled. Damn near gave up archery until I bought better equipment and started shooting more frequently and three months earlier then usual. We all are going to fail eventually, it's what we do after failing that defines us.

Offline Odell

• Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2019, 11:42:38 AM »
I judge their character based upon what happens after they lose an animal. If they beat themselves up over it as opposed to "no big deal" then that matters. Also if they go out and practice harder/start earlier I respect that. I went 10+ years without losing an animal archery hunting, definitely got a little cocky and up on my high horse. Lost two animals in under two weeks and came back down to earth extremely humbled. Damn near gave up archery until I bought better equipment and started shooting more frequently and three months earlier then usual. We all are going to fail eventually, it's what we do after failing that defines us.

A few years ago I was getting a little cocky with my hunting partners and they made me list out all my misses...turns out my kill/miss ratio is terrible and they remembered it more accurately than me. And I've hit and lost two animals in 10 years. A bit of humble pie is good for us all.

Offline whack em

• Hunter
« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2019, 11:47:18 AM »
I read through this entire thread...20 or so minutes of my life I will never get back. What am I walking away with? The thought that there are a lot of "keyboard cowboys" out there that are into beating the proverbial dead horse. United we stand divided we fall.
Admittedly I haven't listed to the podcast, but I thought the show did a decent enough job to portray us as a community in good light.  And the bull, well he's a dandy. 
"Civilized life has altogether grown too tame, and, if it is to be stable, it must provide a harmless outlets for the impulses which our remote ancestors satisfied in hunting." --Bertrand Russell

Offline JWEBB

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Waiting for October
« Reply #102 on: November 18, 2019, 11:39:40 PM »
I’m so sick and tired of all the folks backing this guy like they are his best friend. My family has hunted that unit since the 1930s and every local in that area is not ok with his broadcasting of the unit. Even talked to 2 local game wardens this season and they also agree that his big mouth was completely unacceptable. And yeah go ahead and keep saying that it’s a quality hunt unit and everyone knows that. Keep up the bashing I can handle it.  :chuckle: Mtn view is way more than a quality hunt. Many generations have relied on this area to provide food for their family and still do. Way more to it than a trophy elk hunt! Maybe the draw won’t go up in apps dramatically but it’s still completely unacceptable as a hunter to blast all these details out to everyone. The more talk, the more idiots in the unit. I always drive to all the campsites after the season and check for trash left behind. I’ve never had to pick up more trash as I had this year at campsites. Disgusting! Long story short, this isn’t just a quality elk hunt. It’s a way of life for many and the original hunters of this area are completely disgusted with Steve
Improvise, Adapt, Overcome

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #103 on: November 19, 2019, 05:17:22 AM »
If you don't want the blues in the spotlight why keep responding to this thread...over 100 replies but over 7000 views. If you Google blue mountains hunting this thread is near the top..there are plenty of success threads on this and other websites that detail areas, blue's, colockum, peaches, etc..but I guess it's easier to cast stones..

I'm still pissed at meater eater because they ruined my go to mule deer spots...oh wait... they've never hunted my old spots...then why have they gone to crap...hmm, weird.

Offline B4noon

• Hunter
« Reply #104 on: November 19, 2019, 06:58:42 AM »
I’m so sick and tired of all the folks backing this guy like they are his best friend. My family has hunted that unit since the 1930s and every local in that area is not ok with his broadcasting of the unit. Even talked to 2 local game wardens this season and they also agree that his big mouth was completely unacceptable. And yeah go ahead and keep saying that it’s a quality hunt unit and everyone knows that. Keep up the bashing I can handle it.  :chuckle: Mtn view is way more than a quality hunt. Many generations have relied on this area to provide food for their family and still do. Way more to it than a trophy elk hunt! Maybe the draw won’t go up in apps dramatically but it’s still completely unacceptable as a hunter to blast all these details out to everyone. The more talk, the more idiots in the unit. I always drive to all the campsites after the season and check for trash left behind. I’ve never had to pick up more trash as I had this year at campsites. Disgusting! Long story short, this isn’t just a quality elk hunt. It’s a way of life for many and the original hunters of this area are completely disgusted with Steve

Rinella didn't ruin a way of life  if anything he is about preserving a way of life.  His show is one of the few that has respect for the tradition and providing meat for the family the majority of hunting shows focus on the exact opposite they focus on the trophy aspect which only creates more individuals wanting to shift from opportunistic hunters providing meat to trophy hunters focused on a measuring tape.  Nothing torques me off more then watching some jackwang shoot a bull or buck on tv then watch as the unskinned ungutted rigamortis carcass is not being taken care of first instead they whip out a tape and calculator that is what has ruined your way of life.  When shows started getting more popular and a greater population shifted to trophy hunting thats when landowners who use to let you hunt for a simple knock on the door and a box of apples saw an opportunity to make money and close lands and start leasing and charging for access I have only ever heard of a trophy fee being charged to hunt not a way to provide meat for my family fee.  I totally agree with your frustrations my family hunts with the mindset of opportunist and meat and if we happen to get lucky on a nice animal once in awhile its a bonus.  To many people not enough open land to many predators to much technology the list goes on as to what has ruined a way of life and it certainly isn't one tv show it's many plus.  As said i totally agree and cant stand that hunting as a lifestyle has changed and i'm not sure its for the better and have to deal with it.  It is not a cost effective way to provide meat for the family anymore it would be cheaper to by beef but it is about the experience and it is great on the table for sure. Bottom line to many people and to much greed and not enough connection with the heritage land and wildlife in general is what has ruined hunting as a way of life and has turned it into a flat bill competition if SCI scores were measured in pounds of meat rather inches of horns the value of the trophy wouldn't exist for the competition to one up the next guy and not nearly as many people would be in your spot.  On a side note nobody is going to flock to the blues or anywhere else from out of state and i think some posts on this sites and facebook and other social media have created just as much or even more competition in some of our best spots in the state.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]