collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Help calling ducks?  (Read 2864 times)

Offline Axistails

• Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: USN, NRA, Central Whidbey Sportsman's Association
Help calling ducks?
« on: October 21, 2019, 10:38:11 AM »
New to duck hunting, and already hooked even without bagging a single duck yet. I have been out 3 days so far, all on whidbey and been trying everything i've learned. I am no good at calling, but still try. I haven't been able to get a single duck to land in my spread or even turn my way. Any tips? I'm using some cheap buck gardner calls that freeze up often and try my hand at basic calls. A few quacks and one I learned of 3 longer tones followed by 3-4 shorter ones. I have 12 mixed decoys and was thinking about getting a mojo. I can't wait till I get my first duck or even a goose, heck id be happy with one landing in front of me.
“Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: Help calling ducks?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2019, 10:40:30 AM »
most common mistake is overcalling. When learning just use the quack. until you learn how to do the rest properly and when you will do yourself a disservice. if you dont own a 6in one whistle purchase one. it is the most underrated call on the market.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Axistails

• Women's Board
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 11:01:57 AM »
Thanks!
“Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.”
― Theodore Roosevelt

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 11:12:57 AM »
to add on to what special t says, here are some things I learned over the years.

1) Calling to ducks is very hit and miss no matter how good you are. Depending on the time of year, hunting pressure, or even just the weather there will be days when ducks are very call responsive and other days where a single quack and they head the other direction

2) Location trumps calling 99 out of 100 times. If you aren't where the ducks want to be, no amount of calling will get them to come towards your spread. Scouting is key

3) Realism and motion in your decoy set up is just as effective, if not more effective than calling. I use a jerk cord system to get the decoys on the water some movement and depending on the spot and time of year, a spinner wing decoy.

4) The basic quack is plenty to get you started. When using it in the field, watch how the ducks react and don't be afraid to just shut up. Over calling is just as bad, if not worse, than under calling. I have plenty of days the calls go back in the bag after the first little while and I rely on movement of decoys and being in the right position.

Side note, make sure the Mojo you are considering is not battery operated as they are not legal.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 11:20:34 AM »
location, presentation, concealment is the trifecta of hunting ducks. location has the most weight.  the better you are at the other 2 the better you can overcome not being  on the X where they want to be.

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 11:45:25 AM »
concealment with ducks is a big deal.  I struggle photographing them as they pick out my camera or lens easily, even if everything is camo'd up.   No shave november was invented for a reason. ;)   

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 11:47:11 AM »
concealment with ducks is a big deal.  I struggle photographing them as they pick out my camera or lens easily, even if everything is camo'd up.   No shave november was invented for a reason. ;)   

Movember!

Confucius

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 11:49:04 AM »
Helps with big deer too! :chuckle:

Offline Badhabit

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2019, 11:54:29 AM »
Troy Taylor who makes Talyor Talker duck and goose calls out of Puyallup puts a calling clinic on over there once a year. They'll walk you through calls and calling technique as well as demonstrate how to cut your own reeds to personalize the reed for your calling style.
Echo duck calls puts out a duck calling CD that is perfect for a beginner. Only way to learn is keep at it. Watch what the ducks do when you call to them.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2019, 11:56:19 AM »
Duckmen are fun to watch...   The classics anyway.

Offline Buckewe

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 12:03:05 PM »
Motion in your spread is far more important. A jerk rig or wind duck will help you far more than calling can
Blacktail lives matter

Offline Axistails

• Women's Board
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 12:30:34 PM »
I feel like I'm going to hopefully bag my fist duck now, thank you. As a lady I think ill have to stick to my good old camo neck gaitor! Did not know battery mojos where ilegal either  :yike:
― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline EWUeagles

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 12:51:31 PM »
I feel like I'm going to hopefully bag my fist duck now, thank you. As a lady I think ill have to stick to my good old camo neck gaitor! Did not know battery mojos where ilegal either  :yike:

I highly recommend reading the regulations and learning about water ROW laws. For calling help just look at youtube. There are world champs on there with plenty of advice. You should also invest in a duck ID book unless you're already proficient at duck ID. Good luck and stick with it!

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 01:27:30 PM »

I always shake my head when I see no face camo or gloves and wish the ducks around me were as stupid as the ones on TV shows. But, I guess they are on the X, so some of the details don't matter....

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 01:40:09 PM »
I would agree that location is far more important than calling, but unfortunately most of us are not on the X very often.  When you are, it's pretty magical.  Last time I was my young pup was in the field retrieving and a flock nearly landed on her.

Regarding calling, sometimes less is better and timing is important.  I try to only call when they are going the wrong way and likely to not realize the calling is coming from the blind vs the decoys.

Motion has the tendency to work more consistently.  Many times, I call to get their attention to the decoys and then only a tiny bit if at all.

Keep at it, public land ducks can be a challenge on any given day even for people that have been at it a long time.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]