collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Calling Cougars?  (Read 96698 times)

Offline Bango skank

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
Re: Calling Cougars?
« Reply #150 on: December 25, 2019, 08:42:47 PM »
There are a lot more than quota numbers killed by depredation hunts

Yup.  There would never be any ne unit open past dec 31st if they were applying depredation removals to the harvest guidelines.  Certainly not this year.  This is a record year for depredations.  Even a game warden, who seems to me they dont generally tend to talk about these things, told me theyve been absolutely hammering the cats this year.  As of august there had already been more lethal removals this year than there was for the entire calendar year of 2018.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 01:49:46 AM by Bango skank »

Offline hunter399

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #151 on: December 25, 2019, 11:20:57 PM »

Yup.  There would never be any ne unit open past dec 31st if they were applying depredation removals to the harvest guidelines.
They pretty much close it every year Jan 1, have you ever seen a NE unit open till April since the quotas.
I'm not sure where you guys get your info.But each cougar incident is recorded on the WDFW website I can provide link if you guys like.Most are cougar sighting,or warden provides info of how to deal with living with wildlife .It pretty much gives you the report,if cat,dog,livestock damage,and if hounds or depredation permit,and if they killed a cat which is a lot lower than you might think .These reports are for the whole state.For the whole year,and up to fours years back.
When you go to WDFW to look at map first you have to get to just 2019,than you have to click on the star location a report for that location comes up at bottom of map ,than this is the most important part you have to read the report for each time a warden is called for cougar incident.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/living/dangerous-wildlife/reports
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 11:33:18 PM by hunter399 »
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #152 on: December 25, 2019, 11:39:17 PM »
So now you guys know what I know.And you guys sound so sure the NE Washington will be open for cougars.
I guess we will see.
@Bango spank
@Jonathan_s

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #153 on: December 26, 2019, 12:31:13 AM »

Yup.  There would never be any ne unit open past dec 31st if they were applying depredation removals to the harvest guidelines.
They pretty much close it every year Jan 1, have you ever seen a NE unit open till April since the quotas.
I'm not sure where you guys get your info.But each cougar incident is recorded on the WDFW website I can provide link if you guys like.Most are cougar sighting,or warden provides info of how to deal with living with wildlife .It pretty much gives you the report,if cat,dog,livestock damage,and if hounds or depredation permit,and if they killed a cat which is a lot lower than you might think .These reports are for the whole state.For the whole year,and up to fours years back.
When you go to WDFW to look at map first you have to get to just 2019,than you have to click on the star location a report for that location comes up at bottom of map ,than this is the most important part you have to read the report for each time a warden is called for cougar incident.

https://wdfw.wa.gov/species-habitats/living/dangerous-wildlife/reports
cant remember if it was last winter or winter before, 113 stayed open through april

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #154 on: December 26, 2019, 12:34:15 AM »
So now you guys know what I know.And you guys sound so sure the NE Washington will be open for cougars.
I guess we will see.
@Bango spank
@Jonathan_s

I didnt say im "so sure" that everything will stay open into january this year, just that thats the rumor.  I am so sure though, that depredstion removals dont count toward the qed uotas, except for those where the landowner chooses to put their tag on the animal.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #155 on: December 26, 2019, 06:58:40 AM »
I guess we will see.
@Bango spank
@Jonathan_s

I didnt say im "so sure" that everything will stay open into january this year, just that thats the rumor.  I am so sure though, that depredstion removals dont count toward the qed uotas, except for those where the landowner chooses to put their tag on the animal.
I pretty sure a few units will stay open.Just cause cat removal was low in some units.

Depredation cat removal counting towards quotas it been that way for years since they started quotas.It has always said it on there website.Unless you have some kind of info besides rumor .I have to believe what there website says.Wardens just call the houndsman if needed and make a report Its our friends on the Westside WDFW that wright the rules or count towards quota.

Honestly I don't wanna argue with ya ,your a stand up guy,You have had a hell of season.
Looks like you do your part in the predator department helping out wildlife.Pretty much Got us two bear tags , and seeing your kills\acomplishmimts is a great thing.

With that said Good luck on your upcoming hunts .I will agree to disagree .I'm out on this topic.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #156 on: December 26, 2019, 08:15:10 AM »
First couple years of the quota's they closed a lot more than this last year and perhaps the year prior,  we've had what 4 years of quotas?   

Something changed half way through. 

I think they quit counting state kills of cougar towards the quota, but obviously still count them for other reasons.

Online Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #157 on: December 26, 2019, 09:26:53 AM »
I guess we will see.
@Bango spank
@Jonathan_s

What did I say that you disagree with? @hunter399
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #158 on: December 26, 2019, 10:41:47 AM »
Anybody done any calling in Capitol Forest near Olympia? I've been there many times over the years looking for turkey and it seems like prime lion territory. Lots of deer sign over the years. I was considering doing lion hunting while early scouting for easterns.
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline 7t9cobra

• Hunter
« Reply #159 on: December 26, 2019, 11:32:31 AM »
Anybody done any calling in Capitol Forest near Olympia? I've been there many times over the years looking for turkey and it seems like prime lion territory. Lots of deer sign over the years. I was considering doing lion hunting while early scouting for easterns.

I've thought about hunting up there but I haven't done it yet. There are lots of sightings up there and also a lot of depredation on the boundaries. I think it would be a great spot to go. I just don't like the crowd numbers and have spots that have been producing well so I haven't bothered to go that direction. It would definitely be worth looking for tracks in the snow.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #160 on: December 26, 2019, 01:45:28 PM »
I guess we will see.
@Bango spank
@Jonathan_s

I pretty sure a few units will stay open.Just cause cat removal was low in some units.

Depredation cat removal counting towards quotas it been that way for years since they started quotas.It has always said it on there website.Unless you have some kind of info besides rumor .I have to believe what there website says.Wardens just call the houndsman if needed and make a report Its our friends on the Westside WDFW that wright the rules or count towards quota.

Honestly I don't wanna argue with ya ,your a stand up guy,You have had a hell of season.
Looks like you do your part in the predator department helping out wildlife.Pretty much Got us two bear tags , and seeing your kills\acomplishmimts is a great thing.

With that said Good luck on your upcoming hunts .I will agree to disagree .I'm out on this topic.

Is this good enough for you??  I told you i was absolutely positive, didnt i?  I wouldnt say i was positive if i was just pretty sure.  Just emailed this morning and got the reply already.  He is the wdfw game division manager and previously the large carnivore section manager.  Pretty sure he knows what hes saying.  This is straight from the horses mouth.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 02:36:58 PM by Bango skank »

Online Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
« Reply #161 on: December 26, 2019, 03:22:22 PM »
And am I crazy or was this not hashed out last year and discussed?

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
« Reply #162 on: December 26, 2019, 06:37:18 PM »
I guess we will see.
@Bango spank
@Jonathan_s

Is this good enough for you??  I told you i was absolutely positive, didnt i?  I wouldnt say i was positive if i was just pretty sure.  Just emailed this morning and got the reply already.  He is the wdfw game division manager and previously the large carnivore section manager.  Pretty sure he knows what hes saying.  This is straight from the horses mouth.
All I'm gonna say is you have way to much trust in WDFW.
Why don't ya email him back and ask him ,To change the wording on the website where it say it does count and see what his response is.
Since you trust his word so much.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #163 on: December 26, 2019, 06:42:09 PM »
Wow.  You just really dont like to admit that youre wrong.  Whatever, think what you want. 

Its not just one guys word im trusting either.  But whatever.

Online Jonathan_S

• Old Salt
« Reply #164 on: December 26, 2019, 06:44:55 PM »
399 you posted a link to wdfw as your source, my guy :dunno:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]