collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 400 pounder  (Read 8875 times)

Offline woodswalker

• Curmudgeon in training
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/Grumpys-Gun-Repair-153675238330367/?ref=br_rs&pnref=lhc
    • Grumpys Gun Repair
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, Ducks Unlimited, RMEF, SRPA WHEIA
Re: 400 pounder
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2019, 08:17:06 AM »
There has been one up in Martin Ck creek off the southern flank of Valhalla Mt for decades, He snagged a stringer of trout when i was up there fishing in 1994 or so.  Last saw him when i hiked to Captain Pt in 2015, he was noshing on fields of Mt Huckleberries across the creek from me.  Watched him in my spotting scope for a while...he was pretty grey around the muzzle and moved slowly.  I have not been back up there since.

In 1994 the folks at the Skykomish Ranger station FREAKED OUT when i brought in photos of him from my fishing trip...I was told that he was ANYTHING but a griz, after all they didn't want to scare the greenies who were hiking up in there.  Eventually WDFW told me to be quiet...that yes there was but he was "out of the prescribed range for recovery" and was "Likely JUST TRAVELING THROUGH".  BS.
A Smith & Wesson Beats Four Aces.

Whatta ya mean I can't have one of each?

What we have here is...Washington Department of NO Fish and WATCHABLE Wildlife.

WDFW is going farther and farther backwards....we need FISH AND GAME back!

Offline Rob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2019, 09:05:00 AM »
Watched a Big, I mean BIG Grizz in the Greenwater area, not far off the 70 rd, back in the early ‘90s.
Gamey and subsequent bios said I was nuts.
This thing took down a decent cow, one blow, drug it out of a hell hole, Whole! and ate half of it while I watched.
Got pictures of the carnage and paw prints somewhere about 5-6 hard drives ago.
Yeah and wolves.... haha haha. Been watching those in the Taneum for 15+ yrs
And in the Teanaway for just as long.
Just showed up????
Laughable

So a buddy of mine took this photo in Rainer National Park a couple years back. 

What does everyone think this is?  The ears look like black bear to me and the head is a bit on the narrow side.  The body looks like Grizzly.  Has a hump, but that hump could be caused by standing position.  The photographer indicated that the bear was not as big as the photo makes it look.

Regardless - if I saw this it would make me look twice!
Just sit back and enjoy your ride
  - Chris Ledoux

Offline Yelper Guy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NWTF
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2019, 09:31:22 AM »
WDFW has 2 male Grizzlies collared in the Pend Oreille area near Usk/ Ione.
I can't find the map I saw showing their movements, but they were circling this area between Idaho & the PO river.
One even crossed the river near Ruby, headed north towards Ione, then back across the river to the east.
These are in my camping/ recreation neck of the woods.
With 2 collared males making this area home, how many females and uncollared Grizzlies might be in the area also?

Offline Gobble

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Wack'em and Stack'em
    • Dave Harder
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2019, 09:37:25 AM »
Watched a Big, I mean BIG Grizz in the Greenwater area, not far off the 70 rd, back in the early ‘90s.
Gamey and subsequent bios said I was nuts.
This thing took down a decent cow, one blow, drug it out of a hell hole, Whole! and ate half of it while I watched.
Got pictures of the carnage and paw prints somewhere about 5-6 hard drives ago.
Yeah and wolves.... haha haha. Been watching those in the Taneum for 15+ yrs
And in the Teanaway for just as long.
Just showed up????
Laughable

So a buddy of mine took this photo in Rainer National Park a couple years back. 

What does everyone think this is?  The ears look like black bear to me and the head is a bit on the narrow side.  The body looks like Grizzly.  Has a hump, but that hump could be caused by standing position.  The photographer indicated that the bear was not as big as the photo makes it look.

Regardless - if I saw this it would make me look twice!

There was one in the Evans creek and Mt Rainier park 20 years ago, again it was confirmed by the game dept and they said it was traveling down the cascade range

Offline 10thmountainarcher

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2019, 10:03:18 AM »
I can't find the map I saw showing their movements, but they were circling this area between Idaho & the PO river.
One even crossed the river near Ruby, headed north towards Ione, then back across the river to the east.
With 2 collared males making this area home, how many females and uncollared Grizzlies might be in the area also?

Here is a link to the discussion where the websites were provided.
https://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,233478.msg3115395.html#msg3115395

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2019, 11:08:20 AM »
I ran into grizzly Tracks and scat in the Teanaway back in the early 90s. Its was confirmed by the Game Dept, there was fresh snow on the ground, and Poop the size of a coke can. All I had was my .50 Cal ML, made me real uneasy since I had been cow calling and following fresh elk tracks right up to that point  :yike:

The only live Grizzly sighting I have witnessed was a sow and two cubs, up in French Cabin Basin near Salmon la Sac in the late 90s. We were on a ridge glassing and she was on the opposite side of a deep ravine about 500 yards a crossed. We watched her and her cubs for about an hour before they went over the opposite ridge. On the way out we stopped at the Ranger Station in Cle Elum to report the sighting. The Officer acted skeptical of our report, then his partner let slip a sow with cubs had been seen near Goat Mountain a couple weeks before.

I came a crossed some very fresh Grizzly tracks up Falls Creek (up east Chewuch) when hunting by myself a few years back. The tracks were along the creek banks. I was amazed by the size. It had shredded a log.
Then I realized I was by myself, in some deep second growth with about 5 feet of viability, the sound of the creek was drowning out all other sound, and there are fresh Grizzly tracks at my feet.  :yike:
It took me about 1 millionth of a second to realize this was not a good situation to be in.
I will say this, during the 1 1/2 mile hike back out, my senses were hyper aware of my surroundings and every little sound until I was back at my truck.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline pashok23

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2019, 04:46:29 PM »
Taggin along here. Have there ever been any reports as far south as the Colockum? I ran into a bear there 3 years ago that was an absolute monster. I am not an avid bear hunter but this guy was bigger than any black bear I have seen and he had the hump. He was feeding along at about 40byards from me and never knew I was there. Big head, big feet but he had the short ears.
Should of shot him to look up close  :chuckle:

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2019, 10:13:38 AM »

Quite a few actually

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Everyone wants to eat-but few are willing to hunt
  • Groups: F4WM, MDF, NWTF, RMEF
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2019, 07:10:54 PM »
Yikes! We've been working in the Cusick area lately, and the Selkirk is my go-to the late hunt area. I spend quite a bit of hunting time solo around there. Hard to believe that pic is of a "small" griz! I usually just carry a 40 for my sidearm, am I naive to think that's enough?
It must be a poor life that achieves freedom from fear.
-Aldo Leopold

Offline 10thmountainarcher

• Business Sponsor
  • Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2019, 07:19:15 PM »
Yikes! We've been working in the Cusick area lately, and the Selkirk is my go-to the late hunt area. I spend quite a bit of hunting time solo around there. Hard to believe that pic is of a "small" griz! I usually just carry a 40 for my sidearm, am I naive to think that's enough?

It’s better than nothing, but a 10MM would be better for an semi-auto style pistol. From what I gather, bear spray is more effective then a pistol on charging bears. There are quite a few grizz in the area, just two males have the collars.

Offline lewy

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • IBEW RMEF WSTA WCO NRA
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2019, 07:47:27 PM »
The state requires us to take a bear Id test for a reason
Go hawks

Offline fish vacuum

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2019, 05:16:08 PM »

Those of you claiming your 200 pound blackie is a 500 pounder, well you are just plain silly.

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2019, 07:03:42 PM »
lol. On the list of unnessasary things, that takes the cake. I guess you do what you have to do for social media attention.
what in the wild wild world of sports???

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]