collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Kinda cold in my bag  (Read 21028 times)

Offline farmin4u_98948

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Kinda cold in my bag
« on: October 29, 2019, 06:32:29 PM »
I have a Kuiu 0 deg mummy bag. A thermo rest r 5.7 pad.  At 10 deg I had heavy Sitka thermals , hat, gloves, smartwool socks.  And. I was still not comfortable.  Going to wash my bag and see if that helps. I was out 4 days and things were covered in a layer of ice on the outside but I should have been able to get comfortable....   Any ideas ...  thinking of putting a thin closed chill pad under my thermo rest.   I dunno. 
Just because you believe something is true doesn't mean that it is true!

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
Re: Kinda cold in my bag
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 06:36:03 PM »
I have their 0° superdown bag too, and was cold sleeping in my thermals in a tent at 30°.  Not worth the price tag imo.

Offline huntnfmly

• Trade Count: (+36)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 06:38:01 PM »
This might sound funny but is it possible you were sweaty that caused you to be in comfortable?
The reason I ask is I had a zero degree bag and was uncomfortable because I was sweating and was getting chilled because of that
I'm your dam tour guide Arnie please don’t wonder off the dam tour.
Take as many dam pictures as you want ....
Are there any dam questions ..

Offline TooTallMike

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 06:41:30 PM »
Try a seatosummit reactor liner it's super lightweight and helps me

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 06:47:56 PM »
I slept In my truck in 28 degrees with a 0 degree bag. I froze my butt off. I need suggestions also

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kselkhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 06:49:03 PM »
Not all bags are comfortable at their rated temperature limit.   Some do, but many don't meet that limit.  You'll survive at the rated temp but won't necessarily be comfortable.

More insulation underneath is a good idea.  Also a sleeping bag liner is a good idea for adding warmth (also easier to keep the inside of the bag cleaner that way).   

I have a 20F rated Feathered Friends bag.  I will be backpacked into the snow this Friday for 9 days.  Am guessing overnight temps will range from mid 20's down to the teens, and I'll be camped on top of a few feet of packed snow.  I'll have my ultralight cot, a closed cell foam pad, a NeoAir mattress, my sleeping bag, and a liner.  And I have some thick thermal wool top and bottoms as well as down booties if it gets really cold.  And warm beanie hat.   That way I can layer myself to match temperature changes.  The only time in the past that I got really cold was when things got down close to 0F one time...but I have a lightweight packable small down jacket that I can put on in really extreme conditions.

I'd focus on the added insulation layer underneath the bag (adds comfort as well), and the bag liner.

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 06:52:45 PM »
My 10 year old XL-Wide Big Agnus zipper ripped open about 20 inches on 2nd day of my week long hunt last year.
I alway use another down bag between my cot pad and my bag, but you can sure feel those 20 degree nights when you have some serious drafts. Make having to get up in the middle of the night to pee a torture.
I just bought a TETON Sports Celcius XXL to replace the Big Agnes. It would be nice to get 10 years out of this as well. 
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 06:54:25 PM »
Bags are rated at survival temp not comfort rating..a zero bag will be good for low 30s Mid 20s for comfort level depending on the person.....if u want to be warm in the cold you need a negative bag..

If u want to warm up a little throw a hot hands in the bag it will increase your comfort level a few degrees...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2019, 07:03:33 PM by fishngamereaper »

Offline WildlifeAssassin

• Past Sponsor
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 07:01:56 PM »
The easiest and most effective thing for staying warm is to tweak your own body chemistry. Eat as much red meat as possible, you know the meat sweats? That is because it’s incredibly energy dense and your body creates heat when it has an excessive amount of readily burned fuel. Most common backpacking food is the exact opposite of steak, sure it’s light weight but it’s nutritional value is also ultra light. Supplement Iodine and stop drinking fluoridated water. Being healthy keeps you warm, not to say gear isn’t important but start with your body first.

Offline RobinHoodlum

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 07:11:18 PM »
Fill a 1 liter Nalgene with boiling water. Works wonders when we're climbing the volcanos and other big mountains that require overnight on snow or glacier

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 07:23:08 PM »
Fill a 1 liter Nalgene with boiling water. Works wonders when we're climbing the volcanos and other big mountains that require overnight on snow or glacier

This is a great trip, but when the heat runs out in the bottle your heat will transfer back the other way so you have to take it out.

Last year in Alaska I was so cold I shivered through the first 2 nights at around 15-20 degrees in a zero degree bag. I started opening the 8 hour hot hands and throwing one in the bag by my feet. It helped quite a bit. I have thought about getting a liner to try with my sleeping bag.

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 07:38:07 PM »
My hunting clothes bag has the best item in it.
A hot water bottle. Fill it with boiling water, throw in your bag down in the bottom couple hours before bed time sleep comfy all night. Never leave home without it. Best 11.00 Ever spent. :tup:
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2019, 07:58:16 PM »
I've got a 15* REI bag that has to be at least twenty years old and has about twenty feet of duct tape patches on it. Last February my pad deflated on a 10* night and I basically slept on the ground in a tent with two other dudes. Neither of them got any sleep all night because they were freezing in their 0* bags and sat up listening to me snore. I woke up feeling great.

I'm pretty sure it's more important to find which bag works best for you as opposed to what bag works for others. Find a style your comfortable in, buy a heavier bag if you get cold, and buy the best quality you can afford.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2019, 08:00:34 PM »
I tired something new this year, put a military wool blanket on my cot then then my pad then another military blanket with bag on that.

It helped quite a bit.👍
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2019, 08:01:26 PM »
I tired something new this year, put a military wool blanket on my cot then then my pad then another military blanket with bag on that.

It helped quite a bit.👍

I'm pretty sure wool is the answer for everything.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]