collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Motivation  (Read 5742 times)

Offline mjustice79

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl, B&C, Buckmasters
Motivation
« on: November 02, 2019, 10:53:18 AM »
Before I begin, I hope those that are headed out for Modern Elk are successful. I have a question for the group. How do you stay motivated to hunt? I’ve lived in WA for 6 years and hunted for 4. The last animal in shot was in GA In 2012. In the past I’ve hunted JBLM, and last year I started hunting Elbe Hills State Forest in GMU 654. Did an overnight in Col Bob at the beginning of the season, nothing. I see animals in the summer, then when the season rolls around, nothing. I’m retired, a full time college student, stay at home dad, and all three boys play sports. So taking off to the woods for more than 3 days at most really isn’t an option. I read on this forum and others where the place to hunt seems to be the east side. Personally, I’m in the camp of if I do that, I may as well just save my money and hire a guide in ID, MT, or CO. I’ve reached out asked for advice/mentorship and typically I get some smart ass remarks. I get it, lots of hunters small state. Although, on this particular Backcountry forum, I’ve received encouragement. I put in time, I don’t ride the roads. I don’t like paying and hoping I’ll get drawn just so I can hunt both sides of the state for elk, or able to hunt September to December for deer. Usually I killed a deer every year when I started, to when I came back from Europe in 05. Usually a doe or small buck. I’m somewhat optimistic for next year, looking at backpacking into Goat Rocks Wilderness for archery. Honestly I’m at a crossroads to keep hunting, or just stop all together. What are y’alls thoughts? Sorry for the long thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Retired Infantryman
I'm about to say to heck with all, and go raise pigs, mules, and tobacco.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: Motivation
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 11:02:21 AM »
I don’t base my success on killing animals personally. I’m not an extremely successful hunter but I’ve had some amazing experiences with friends and family in some really cool places. I love to kill deer but that’s not what it’s all about for me. If I do, it’s icing on the cake. I’ve also decided I’m not interested in shooting small deer or young deer anymore either so there’s that, and that adds to the difficulty. I spent the first 10 years hunting here in Washington hunting private farm land in deer central and we killed a lot of deer which was great, but I never experienced hunting public land or backcountry wilderness areas which is what I really love to do. I’m trying to learn that now. It’s tough, but it’s worth it for me just to experience that type of country.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline mjustice79

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 11:12:01 AM »
That’s part of it too. I’m already a hiker/backpacker, so I’m able to go see some pretty cool places that doesn’t require me to pay for a license. I’m not even seeing animals that I saw in the summer months.

Retired Infantryman

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 11:16:54 AM »
I don’t kill anything some years but cannot wait  to go. I would go with others even if I were not hunting.
This year we opted out of elk hunting. So I left for modern deer on Oct. 3 and didn’t come back till Oct. 23.
Never fired my gun. Had a great time. Spent my first week cutting wood for the three wood stoves and driving new areas. Love  using the Rhinos. You got to have more interest than just the animals.

I have turkey hunted 10 years never killed one. Love to go. See turkeys, call them, get them in sometimes never kill one. Every year I say I am not going than somebody shows up and says let’s go. And I say ok.

I think it’s the quiet times that lure me back every year.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline mjustice79

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 11:42:28 AM »
I don’t kill anything some years but cannot wait  to go. I would go with others even if I were not hunting.
This year we opted out of elk hunting. So I left for modern deer on Oct. 3 and didn’t come back till Oct. 23.
Never fired my gun. Had a great time. Spent my first week cutting wood for the three wood stoves and driving new areas. Love  using the Rhinos. You got to have more interest than just the animals.

I have turkey hunted 10 years never killed one. Love to go. See turkeys, call them, get them in sometimes never kill one. Every year I say I am not going than somebody shows up and says let’s go. And I say ok.

I think it’s the quiet times that lure me back every year.

My son and I went turkey hunting around Addy in 2014 on my friends place. Had a blast!! That’s beautiful country up there! He has since sold it and moved back to Texas. Kinda wishing I had bought it lol! I think you and Jackelope are right though. I may have to just use it as an excuse to keep adventuring in the backcountry for longer periods of time. Thanks for the response.

Retired Infantryman

Offline Sandberm

• Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 11:47:41 AM »
I just like getting out with my recurve and having some chances to get a shot off in the late season. Its all about getting out and feeling like a 12 year old again.  :)

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2019, 01:47:41 PM »
The woods is a beautiful place. The idea that anything can happen keeps me going. Last year i filled my tag in the first 5 minutes and the year before it was the last 5 minutes of late buck when i filled my tag. (True story) never know what might be in the next canyon over. Around the corner. In the thick ex. I think most hunters get joy out of being outside and getting the chance to be out doing things other than work. If hiring a guide in Montana or Idaho like said in OP was an option for you maybe you could do so then use what you learned and bring it over to the east side of our state. There is animals in the areas you have mentioned, but spreading out getting maps of public lands and exploring new areas has been crucial for my success. Another thing is hunting isn’t for everybody. I’ve never thought about giving it up all together. Hope you stick with it and get the success’s you intend to. Feel free to PM me. I’m often in central Washington area and live in the tumwater area. Good luck!

Offline Griiz

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2019, 02:33:43 PM »
I hunt mostly weekends and some evenings as work is challenging to get much time off. 95% west side. I stay motivated because I love it. I feel being in the woods, the wonderful sights, smells, sounds and experiences is good for my sanity and soul. Plus I love the chess match of harvesting animals, especially mature animals and I enjoy bringing different natural bounties home to eat.

Offline nwalpineguide

• Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014108737357
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2019, 04:15:36 PM »
Images such as those attached keep me motivated all year long. Every year.

Offline dilleytech

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 09:09:45 PM »
If you’re considering quitting maybe it’s just not for you but if you’re failing over and over again you should consider completely changing your tactics. Or hunt a different season at least that will be something new and exciting. Go pick up a muzzleloader and give that season a try.
I like getting out and getting it done and find if you just get out and hunt hard you will be presented with opportunities. I don’t understand guys that go for the camping trip and driving there expensive toys around the woods all week but to each there own.

Offline mjustice79

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2019, 09:59:26 PM »
If you’re considering quitting maybe it’s just not for you but if you’re failing over and over again you should consider completely changing your tactics. Or hunt a different season at least that will be something new and exciting. Go pick up a muzzleloader and give that season a try.
I like getting out and getting it done and find if you just get out and hunt hard you will be presented with opportunities. I don’t understand guys that go for the camping trip and driving there expensive toys around the woods all week but to each there own.
I’ve been hunting for about 30 years now, and have been quite successful in other states. I grew up hunting in Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama, and Texas. States that encourage hunting. I will admit, part of my problem is that I am not a fan of this state, and still after 6 years living here, I still do not understand why I can only hunt with one weapon for only a couple of weeks. It boggles my mind. I am actually looking at 2 different areas this year.

Retired Infantryman

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2019, 10:06:44 PM »
Motivation is a tough one for hunting. .

IMO, It is easy to fold under the pressure you put on yourself and putting more on top of that by looking at forums like this one and other social media sites before and during hunting seasons. I get rid of looking at anything hunting related until after the season.

My form of hunting motivation comes at picking a new spot or unit to hunt every year and it paid off this year for elk. Go explore new country and have fun. Hunting isn't always about killing. To me, it's about experiencing nature and try to find and learn the instincts of different animals.

Having a job that entails working in the woods darn near everyday, I tend to lose motivation going out in the woods for fun around Middle November and pick it back up once the days are long in the spring. A guy gets burnt out after a while unless they do something different or see new areas. Same goes with hunting. Figure out what can motivate you and go explore and get out. For me this year, it was getting into trapping coyotes.

Offline mjustice79

• Hunter
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2019, 10:31:28 PM »
Motivation is a tough one for hunting. .

IMO, It is easy to fold under the pressure you put on yourself and putting more on top of that by looking at forums like this one and other social media sites before and during hunting seasons. I get rid of looking at anything hunting related until after the season.

My form of hunting motivation comes at picking a new spot or unit to hunt every year and it paid off this year for elk. Go explore new country and have fun. Hunting isn't always about killing. To me, it's about experiencing nature and try to find and learn the instincts of different animals.

Having a job that entails working in the woods darn near everyday, I tend to lose motivation going out in the woods for fun around Middle November and pick it back up once the days are long in the spring. A guy gets burnt out after a while unless they do something different or see new areas. Same goes with hunting. Figure out what can motivate you and go explore and get out. For me this year, it was getting into trapping coyotes.

That’s a valid point with the self imposed pressure. I did pick out two new areas, both wilderness areas, for elk. I told my that I was done deer hunting until we move. I did find enjoyment hunting elk with my 12 year old this year. Last year was my first year elk hunting, I saw more elk in one day than I have seen deer. Trapping sounds quite fun and interesting. Are you using snares or spring traps?

Retired Infantryman

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2019, 05:43:07 AM »
You moving back to Tennessee?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Online Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2019, 06:22:42 AM »
It's tough for me to imagine hunting being "one of many" important things in my family. Truthfully it takes priority over most things in our world. So I can't really offer advice since we start at such a different perspective.

Furthermore, I'm one of those guys who does measure my success mostly on taking the animal. Sure the memories are wonderful but I get those anyway so I don't focus on it because it comes naturally. I don't deprive myself of sleep, buy tags, pay onX, buy gas and put ridiculous miles on truck, and freeze until sunup for the experience. For me it really is about taking animals.

I don't want to discourage you and I don't mean to insinuate that you have to be super dedicated to take a deer once in a while. If I felt pressure hanging over me and I couldn't make time to hunt much then I too would be incredibly frustrated. Maybe you should hang it up while its so inconvenient for you :dunno: hobby habits = hobby results :twocents:
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2019, 06:38:08 AM »
I say keep trying ,elk are a bit tough to find when the season starts.
There are some that like just being in the woods,then some have that desire to fill there tag and freezer year after year.
Some people hunt the same spot all season,some hunt different spot every time out day after day .May want to try some new area,alot of ground in Washington will seem dead no animals .The way I see it ,if your out there durring season there is a certain amount of luck or odds that you may have a chance of killing something.But that luck goes to 0% if your at home.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline ballpark

• Salty
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2019, 07:53:33 AM »
If you haven't been building up points over the last 6 years, I would suggest starting.  We do a combination of out-of-state hunting, in-state hunting(use points) and going to a few local areas during late hunt where we have been successful.  For elk, cow tags are not hard to get and getting a cow every other year or so keeps the freezer full.  Youth tags are not hard to get either.
But like many have said, it's the time in camp and all that comes with it that keep me going - getting an animal is the icing on the cake.  I learn something every year :tup:
« Last Edit: December 23, 2019, 08:05:27 AM by ballpark »

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2019, 08:00:38 AM »
IT doesnt help that Inslee is declaring he wants to raise license fees again.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal