collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: O DISC + Blue Tape & Results  (Read 992 times)

Offline Sabotloader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
O DISC + Blue Tape & Results
« on: March 24, 2020, 04:51:24 PM »
This morning I was able to get to the Dinger Farm.  My goals were to sight in a OLD Original DISC 50, but new to me.  I purchased this rifle because of its larger bore - right at .503-.504.  With this rifle I can shoot a Lehigh 50x270 Sabotless bullet that Lehigh made several years ago.  I have used it before in a White White Lightening and a older Knight Wolverine.  I sold the Wolverine to move up to this DISC.  The bullet shot well from the previous rifles so I was confident that it would shoot well from this O DISC.

The other goal was to gain more information about the BP being wrapped with Blue Monster Teflon tape.  I started using this tape a few months ago and have been impressed with the way it has worked for me.  I put up a post a few days back and the post created some questions which i think I have discovered some answers.

As mentioned it was a sight in project - which quickly turned into a recreational shooting trip. In all I took 15 shots shot shooting 120 grains of T7-2F ignited by a CCI #11 Mag cap. I normally use the RWS Dynamit Nobel 1075 cap, but the CCI caps a much less expensive.

Started out placing 3 clays and a Target at 50 yards.  I took the first shot at a clay which I missed then 5 shots at the target with sight adjustments. After that back to shooting clays.  The 3 clays went quickly. From their the recreational shooting began I placed birds at 75 and 100 yards and worked my way through them.  It was really fun to crush them. Then the winds and rain came!

When i got home I began the cleaning routine.  Barrel/bore cleaning is really a quick thing for me.  It has worked very well for several years now.  This pictures shows the simple things I do.

From there I moved to the breech area, and as all of you know when shooting caps the breech really does get dirty!  I have developed a cleaning routine that works well for me and is really easy.  

When I removed the nipple and then the breech plug I again was surprised how easy the plug came out.  If you look at the plug I think you can see how well the nose seal was by how basically clean the BP is.  When I took the plug out not tape came with it and that was my next surprise when I ran my first Windex patch into the breech threads I was surprised when I pulled back and out came the tape.  It was not burned or melted at all.  Of course I couldn't use it over but heck the tape was still soft and pliable.

I will add this group of pictures trying to show the results. I hope they make sense to you and possibly generate some questions

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal