collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Burbank fee hunt area  (Read 1967 times)

Offline Samloffler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Pheasants forever, RMEF
Burbank fee hunt area
« on: November 11, 2019, 07:50:12 AM »
Anyone spend any time hunting the Burbank slough in the fee hunt blinds? I know a few of you got drawn. I have a pick #11 and #21, but I've never hunted it before. How many groups generally show up in the morning? My days are the end of December and January, how big of an issue is freeze up? I'm not looking for your favorite blind numbers, just some additional info. Im planning on doing a pheasant hunt or two in the afternoons to get a lay of the land a little bit.

I got 3 snow goose days too, that should be interesting.

Offline JBG

• Scout
Re: Burbank fee hunt area
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 04:35:02 PM »
You can find hunter success stats on line.  With those picks you will get a blind for sure but spot in line depends on what day it is and if there are birds in the area.  Definitely possible that it freezes up during cold snaps. 

Offline Guzman

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2019, 07:08:21 AM »
It is so crowded anymore and not as many ducks use it. I hunted it a lot in the 80s and 90s. The closed zone used to be covered in ducks. Only a fraction now. And it it gets crowded for not a lot of ducks. Yes freeze up is an issue. It freezes easily. A lot of years it doesn’t freeze though. Or maybe only freezes for a week or two.

Offline EWUeagles

• Scout
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 07:47:11 AM »
I hunted it this weekend for the first time and kind of have mixed feelings about it. The blinds are close together which I'm not really a fan of. Courtesy, shot selection and not blasting at anything flying is something you won't see there. I had a 3rd pick and have a 7th pick later in the year that I won't be using because I felt like if you were top couple it probably wouldn't be worth your time. Compared to the area I hunt though I did see more ducks than I normally ever see. The walk is fairly easy and the bottom is firm so as a hunt it's pretty relaxed. Be 100% prepaid for guys shooting at 80 yards at hen buffies and guys across from you hitting high ball calls as the  ducks are trying to back wing over your decoys.

Offline KopperBuck

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 11:31:35 AM »
It's for sure packed. The first time I hunted it I was surprised. We hunt at Irrigon often and there's quite a bit of difference. It can be a good shoot for sure, but unless you're right at the top, we don't typically bother. Pretty decent if you want to have a chance at cans or redheads.

Offline Samloffler

• Hunter
  • Groups: Pheasants forever, RMEF
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2019, 03:47:02 PM »
I drove around a little yesterday afternoon, there were still a couple blinds set up at about 330 that I could see from the overlook. I'm planning on a pheasant hunt or two through there to get a lay of the land a little bit. Figure it never hurts to give it a shot. I fully expect it to be a zoo with people doing obnoxious crap. I'm close though, so if it sucks too bad I can head back home quick and do something else.

I'm thinking I'm gonna have some ice issues in late December and january. The snow goose season should be interesting.

There were plenty of birds on the refuge side yesterday evening, but that's about how it always looks when I go by. Tons of snows.

Offline Odell

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • the deuce is loose
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 03:38:37 PM »
Anyone spend any time hunting the Burbank slough in the fee hunt blinds? I know a few of you got drawn. I have a pick #11 and #21, but I've never hunted it before. How many groups generally show up in the morning? My days are the end of December and January, how big of an issue is freeze up? I'm not looking for your favorite blind numbers, just some additional info. Im planning on doing a pheasant hunt or two in the afternoons to get a lay of the land a little bit.

I got 3 snow goose days too, that should be interesting.

I have had some amazing hunts there in the past but the ducks don't use it as much any more and you really need a top pick to be successful most of the time. You have to scout it and know (for the most part) where the ducks want to go or you won't have much action. Last time we were there we had the #2 pick and mild weather. We ended up pass shooting divers and it wasn't great.

Freeze up is an issue just about every year, you just have to watch the weather. Freeze can be used to your advantage but probably not with those low pick numbers
what in the wild wild world of sports???

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]