collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Shooter ? quality permit  (Read 7189 times)

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
Re: Shooter ? quality permit
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2019, 10:35:40 AM »
It was just a question, lighten up.

Sorry man it's always hard to get tone across on a forum post. I was trying to convey a sense of support for however you called it, not a "don't bother us with your questions" kind of attitude. Glad you're enjoying the tag.

No worries it’s all good. Just fired me up when ya said something about you didn’t think I knew what I wanted out of this hunt. I do exactly, getting to hunt during the rut, very few people, being able to pick and choose, that’s what it’s all about for me. Quality hunting, not quality killing..... But yeah I do want to do that too  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #46 on: November 12, 2019, 01:17:49 PM »
I would congratulate you if you killed him, and I'm happy you passed with plenty of hunting left.  I don't agree with don't pass on the first day what you would shoot on the last; I've done many hunts where I passed "better" bucks and was completely happy ending my hunt with a meat deer.  Wring every drop of enjoyment out of that rare quality rut experience, I guarantee that you will enjoy every memory of the hunt and remember every buck you considered shooting when you look at that rack for the rest of your life, whether it's a masher or a fat little forky.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #47 on: November 12, 2019, 01:34:30 PM »
I would congratulate you if you killed him, and I'm happy you passed with plenty of hunting left.  I don't agree with don't pass on the first day what you would shoot on the last; I've done many hunts where I passed "better" bucks and was completely happy ending my hunt with a meat deer.  Wring every drop of enjoyment out of that rare quality rut experience, I guarantee that you will enjoy every memory of the hunt and remember every buck you considered shooting when you look at that rack for the rest of your life, whether it's a masher or a fat little forky.
That's a great perspective that I hadn't thought of.  Pass on day one, enjoy every minute of the hunt and fill the tag on the last day with whatever is available.  Great experience, great memories and meat in the freezer at the end.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I had never thought of it that way.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2019, 01:44:42 PM »
Definitely pass.  As hard as those tags are to get, I might pass that guy on the last day and go without getting a buck.  When I've been on those hunts, it hasn't been hard to find a legal buck.  If I were going to settle, I'd be just as happy shooting a small buck on the last day.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2019, 02:02:20 PM »

This is my plan, and having a blast.
I’m not seeing the quantity of bigger bucks like I thought I would, but I’m also not seeing a gigantic pumpkin patch.
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2019, 02:13:18 PM »
Part of the fun is the quality of the hunt.  You know the big one is there, rutting, and may turn up at any moment.  Most hunts aren't like that.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #51 on: November 12, 2019, 02:14:26 PM »
Hang in there....you will find a big boy.  :tup:

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #52 on: November 12, 2019, 02:45:01 PM »
I've never killed a decent, classic 4pt. Pretty sure he would be toast!
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2019, 07:16:46 PM »
Me either...….but this is prolly my last chance at a quality permit that I can put the effort needed into it (getting older sucks) So holding out for better for now. Starting the 18th he is a shooter.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2019, 07:23:58 PM »
That's a great perspective that I hadn't thought of.  Pass on day one, enjoy every minute of the hunt and fill the tag on the last day with whatever is available.  Great experience, great memories and meat in the freezer at the end.  Thanks for pointing that out.  I had never thought of it that way.

:yeah:

But if I saw a masher two point, it’s all over.🤣
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline snit

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Hunter
« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2019, 10:21:13 PM »

THIS quote sums it up for me!! I've hunted all or some part of 11 of the last 13 days, and I have the remainder of the season off (open through 11/20) for Mission rifle. I haven't seen a buck that has even excited me YET, but Istill have hope! Plus, I've been having an absolute BLAST (I should be after 22 years of applying)! Leaving early and getting home late, planning my next day, etc. I sure wish the weather would cooperate more, but it's still all good. IF I'm down to the last day I might shoot a meat buck close to town late in the afternoon, but it'll be a dink! I won't even shoot a "decent" buck, it'll be a dumb one that will probably get hit by a car anyhow. That's my theory anyway, why kill a buck that's survived 3.5-4.5 years just to settle for a "decent" one that would be tossed on the horn pile on the porch at my place, when I can shoot a tender one to eat?

I'm not judging, "To each their own". Have a great rest of your hunt fellas!

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2019, 11:36:42 PM »

THIS quote sums it up for me!! I've hunted all or some part of 11 of the last 13 days, and I have the remainder of the season off (open through 11/20) for Mission rifle. I haven't seen a buck that has even excited me YET, but Istill have hope! Plus, I've been having an absolute BLAST (I should be after 22 years of applying)! Leaving early and getting home late, planning my next day, etc. I sure wish the weather would cooperate more, but it's still all good. IF I'm down to the last day I might shoot a meat buck close to town late in the afternoon, but it'll be a dink! I won't even shoot a "decent" buck, it'll be a dumb one that will probably get hit by a car anyhow. That's my theory anyway, why kill a buck that's survived 3.5-4.5 years just to settle for a "decent" one that would be tossed on the horn pile on the porch at my place, when I can shoot a tender one to eat?

I'm not judging, "To each their own". Have a great rest of your hunt fellas!

:tup:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal