collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Taking away quality permits or general season  (Read 12345 times)

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Re: Taking away quality permits or general season
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2019, 04:15:19 PM »
Lots won’t like this either.!! But, we need to gate roads that lead to wintering grounds.
I have hunted the swakane sense I was a kid. I think some roads need to be closed. And NO one can get in to shoot the deer. Just like the side roads up the Entiat and so on. There are son many more homes up on the hill sides that they are losing there habitat.
Keep the ideas coming. Maybe we can put stuff together and make something work.

Offline Igor

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
  • Hunter
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2019, 04:18:20 PM »
Lots won’t like this either.!! But, we need to gate roads that lead to wintering grounds.
I have hunted the swakane sense I was a kid. I think some roads need to be closed. And NO one can get in to shoot the deer. Just like the side roads up the Entiat and so on. There are son many more homes up on the hill sides that they are losing there habitat.
Keep the ideas coming. Maybe we can put stuff together and make something work.

I think it's called "preaching to the choir"....................
molṑn labé

USAF
   6987th Security Squadron
   6947th Security Squadron
   6918th RSM

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2019, 04:46:27 PM »

I think it was huntnphool :dunno: that a few years ago came up with the "every other year" idea based on the last digits of your wild ID, it would immediately cut all pressure in half. My add on to it was to include all species(mule deer, whitetail, blacktail and elk), set it up so a guy could hunt 2 every year, example- if your ID ends in odd on a particular year you can hunt elk and whitetail if you choose, if it ends in an even number you can hunt mule deer and blacktail. There are ways to construct the every other year idea so you will be at least hunting every year and every other you will be hunting your favorites. Do away with ALL special permits and extend seasons a little, example- mule deer, 2 weeks ending on the 31st of October, no matter what day the 31st falls on.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2019, 04:54:53 PM »
Anyone serious about shutting down seasons and limiting opportunity should only support such actions if the state agrees to bring back baiting and hound hunting.  Our state keeps introducing predators and limiting our ability to manage them......and they wonder why our ungulate population is suffering.   :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: :bash: 

The argument of shutting down season or limiting opportunity will increase herds is like the liberal anti gunners saying taking away guns will make our streets safer.   Not that easy folks. 

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: November 11, 2019, 05:15:11 PM »
How about you have to shoot a cougar this year to hunt deer or elk next year sort of thing? Or a bear or X many coyotes. Change the poaching reward to pick of any special draw tag instead of just points. Some off the cuff thoughts
Might be a little much, but I might think that giving points rewards for predators as the 'bounty' could help.  For example, if you shoot a cougar, you could get 10 extra points to use in a category of your choice.  Shoot a bear and get five or three points, etc.  I don't see WDFW offering cash bounties for predators, but points?  I'd imagine the guys with 20+ points trying for blues tags would be hitting the cat calls pretty hard.  Maybe the predator for extra points has to come from the permit area the hunter would intend to apply the points toward?

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2019, 05:17:44 PM »
My main question is if anybody on here can say with complete honesty that they believe there is a chance that there will be a change in predator management in the foreseeable future? If not, anything we do about seasons will have minimal long term effects  :twocents:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2019, 05:30:10 PM »
My main question is if anybody on here can say with complete honesty that they believe there is a chance that there will be a change in predator management in the foreseeable future? If not, anything we do about seasons will have minimal long term effects  :twocents:
:yeah:  screw limiting our seasons, others will just keep killing what they want! 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #37 on: November 11, 2019, 05:58:49 PM »
 Same old argument many of you have had for years, “screw that, I’m entitled and have to hunt every year!”

And like some of us have been saying since then, it’s going to happen regardless how much you whine, only difference is it will be far worse if WDFW come up with a compromise/solution than if we as hunters do.

Get your crying towels ready! :chuckle:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline bullcanyon

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: November 11, 2019, 06:10:44 PM »
No sense closing an area. Tribes will go in and shoot what they want. Lock it up for everyone or leave it open for all..

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #39 on: November 11, 2019, 06:37:20 PM »
No sense closing an area. Tribes will go in and shoot what they want. Lock it up for everyone or leave it open for all..
oh boy, you said the T word, now you're a racist! Or your entitled if you feel you should be able to hunt every year!  This site is losing its touch, getting less interesting more and more.  And your right, I don’t need to be here if I don’t like it.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #40 on: November 11, 2019, 06:44:45 PM »

Yeah right, cut off your nose to spite your face....brilliant! :chuckle:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Buckhunter24

• Sourdough
« Reply #41 on: November 11, 2019, 06:46:02 PM »
How about you have to shoot a cougar this year to hunt deer or elk next year sort of thing? Or a bear or X many coyotes. Change the poaching reward to pick of any special draw tag instead of just points. Some off the cuff thoughts
Might be a little much, but I might think that giving points rewards for predators as the 'bounty' could help.  For example, if you shoot a cougar, you could get 10 extra points to use in a category of your choice.  Shoot a bear and get five or three points, etc.  I don't see WDFW offering cash bounties for predators, but points?  I'd imagine the guys with 20+ points trying for blues tags would be hitting the cat calls pretty hard.  Maybe the predator for extra points has to come from the permit area the hunter would intend to apply the points toward?

Probably right.about that on the cash bounties at this poin, but wasnt there one on coyotes years ago for at least one year though?

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #42 on: November 11, 2019, 06:46:39 PM »
oh boy, you said the T word, now you're a racist! Or your entitled if you feel you should be able to hunt every year!  This site is losing its touch, getting less interesting more and more.  And your right, I don’t need to be here if I don’t like it.

Come on man, you are smarter than that.

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #43 on: November 11, 2019, 06:53:42 PM »
#1 thing to start.  Human predators.  Do away with multi season permits completely, way to much pressure on the herds. This could be achieved only if a way was figured out to keep WDFW lifeblood (money) at the same income level.
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #44 on: November 11, 2019, 06:55:01 PM »

Probably right.about that on the cash bounties at this poin, but wasnt there one on coyotes years ago for at least one year though?
Can't remember when that was.  There was a cash bounty in Oregon I think about eight years ago(?).  You could bring the ears in and get like $15.  That was down by christmas valley, supposedly to get the yotes off the antelope fawns for a bit.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal