collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Turkey loads for 20 gauge benelli nova  (Read 5269 times)

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
Re: Turkey loads for 20 gauge benelli nova
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2019, 07:44:00 AM »
I'd use these, the Winchester or Federal equivalent. Screw in your full choke & Knock 'em dead!

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/remington-nitro-turkey-20-gauge-magnum-buffered-turkey-load-3-shell-10-rounds?a=1564592
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline Jimmer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2019, 07:56:10 PM »
I may try TSS load just because I'm interested but that being said I do see why people don't buy it. My turkeys were shot with Winchesters that I bought almost 15 years ago. You get your turkeys within 30 yards and it really doesn't matter what you fling at them. You could then use the extra 40 bucks for a tank of gas.
Exactly, thinking waaaay to hard for these dumb birds..

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2019, 12:00:39 PM »
XR is good. I switched to TSS because of penetration issues. Ie BBs resting on the spine in the neck. That was a 22 yard shot.  This year clean pass through on all but 1 BB. That one was under the skin after it went through both wing joints @ 51 yards. It costs more if you want to go that route, but XR puts them down. What choke are you looking at. The Carlson XR choke shot well in my Beretta with Mobil choke thread pattern, same as your Benelli.

• Turkey hunters must use #4 shot or smaller (e.g., #6 shot).

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2020, 05:55:47 AM »
XR is good. I switched to TSS because of penetration issues. Ie BBs resting on the spine in the neck. That was a 22 yard shot.  This year clean pass through on all but 1 BB. That one was under the skin after it went through both wing joints @ 51 yards. It costs more if you want to go that route, but XR puts them down. What choke are you looking at. The Carlson XR choke shot well in my Beretta with Mobil choke thread pattern, same as your Benelli.

• Turkey hunters must use #4 shot or smaller (e.g., #6 shot).

Since he's talking TSS, it's evident that he is using "BB" as a generic term for the pellets.  TSS in a BB size would be sufficient for deer (though not legal in WA). 

It's common to use 8, 9 or even 9.5 for turkeys when shooting TSS.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2020, 07:43:40 AM »
Hevi shot has a TSS load out that is actually less than the magnum blend that I normally shoot. 

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

:tup: hevi shot is not pure TSS they have a hevi-13 blend or the strut-X blend? is that what you are referencing? Strut X blend performs closer to full TSS and "the sell" is half the price of full TSS (still comparing to the high end stuff).  original argument is price for a turkey load is small potatoes with rounds fired annually....

again, just a discussion here, OP was using a 20GA and i would run TSS for the small difference in cost period.
This is new and it doesn't say enviro it says TSS on box. I will have to take a look again though

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2020, 08:08:31 AM »
I've used hevi shot, or, and rem.  All worked fine and all have failed at times.  Curious about TSS. it is denser, however the whole load weighs the same.   So is there less shot per oz.?   I can see how the smaller pellet with same mass will penetrate better.   Though number 4 lead does fine at 1/7th the price.  Am I really missing out?

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2020, 08:34:26 AM »
I've used hevi shot, or, and rem.  All worked fine and all have failed at times.  Curious about TSS. it is denser, however the whole load weighs the same.   So is there less shot per oz.?   I can see how the smaller pellet with same mass will penetrate better.   Though number 4 lead does fine at 1/7th the price.  Am I really missing out?

In many cases my #6 copper plated lead from my 12 gauge will kill most birds within 50 yards, TSS in a 20 guage is even more effective than that. The TSS gives you a long range edge, do you have to have it "NO". But if you want that extra edge for longer shots, TSS provides it.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2020, 08:43:17 PM »

#9 TSS will have about the same penetration as #4 lead.  It'll have 3 times the pellets per ounce (360ish) and it'll pattern tighter.

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2020, 07:38:07 PM »
TSS 9shot is like shooting 5 lead. Love TSS 9’s been shooting it for a few years now. Dropped down to the 20ga now, no more having to pack the 12ga anymore. Remington just came out with TSS this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull