collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: North Idaho?  (Read 5180 times)

Offline Lapua07

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF, MD, NBA WRAW
North Idaho?
« on: November 12, 2019, 10:19:05 AM »
I know there’s a few of the Idaho guy’s hiding in here and quite a few Washington locals that hunt or have hunted North Idaho. Seems like 90% chase whitetail during the later end of the season when ours closes. I’m usually in Montana chasing mule deer this week but with moving into a new place and some other less then enjoyable expenses this year I didn’t get to go  :bash: :bash: That being said I’m already lining out next season and have been in debate on throwing together some information on where to get my feet into some mule deer country in the panhandle. I’ve got some decent advise on a few areas already from my Montana buddies since I’ll be throwing a week into Montana already and likely another week into Idaho depending on what I turn up this summer. Anyways thanks in advance.

Offline idahohuntr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
Re: North Idaho?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 10:40:35 AM »
If I were going to focus on Mule Deer in Idaho - it would not be the panhandle...even with the November general seasons.  I suspect you are interested because you could hunt N. Idaho as you head over to (or back from) Montana...but honestly, I'd rather lose 2 days driving and hunt any number of areas down south in October if you have a week to commit to ID. 
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood..." - TR

Offline Lapua07

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 11:24:30 AM »
I hunt western Montana. Hence the interest in the panhandle. Not all that far into Montana.

Offline Jimmy33

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 09:01:20 PM »
I hunt unit 1 in idaho. If youre already hunting the cabinets on the montana side then you will use the same tactics on the idaho side...get high and you’ll find mule deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior—
    from violent people you save me.

Offline JM

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 09:08:49 PM »
North Idaho gets hammered by hunters anymore. Needle in a haystack for mule deer and whitetail areas are getting overcrowded as well. Waiting for another down turn in the economy to cut down on hunters that have $20,000 side by sides with tracks.

I agree with idahohuntr on driving south to hunt some quality areas for mule deer

Offline Lapua07

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 05:49:11 AM »
North Idaho gets hammered by hunters anymore. Needle in a haystack for mule deer and whitetail areas are getting overcrowded as well. Waiting for another down turn in the economy to cut down on hunters that have $20,000 side by sides with tracks.

I agree with idahohuntr on driving south to hunt some quality areas for mule deer

I don’t have 20k for that crap. I have horses and mules. Save all year for these out of state hunts. I used to hunt Idaho for elk every year but got tired of seeing idiots from Washington. This is my final year hunting in Washington. I haven’t killed a mule deer in this state for about 8 years now. The quality and numbers are gone in the areas where I used to hunt. I worked in Idaho and Montana for a few years falling timber. The country in western Montana and North Idaho is very much the same in the sense of what I hunted here in Washington. Steep high country is my MO for mule deer. Just have to treat it as a high buck hunt knowing numbers are low and the chance at a big mountain muley will always be my holy grail. I’ve shot far more whitetail then mule deer. Generally because I’ve always opted to let the smaller bucks walk. Now I’m lucky to have even seen a doe. I’m not even planning on applying for the OIL tags here anymore. I’m not after anyone’s spot. I’m plenty good at finding my own. That being said the Cabinets are about as rough as it gets for mule deer hunting. The bucks I’ve killed in there virtually live in sheep country. The weather is generally your worst enemy. Between snow and fog. Idaho’s side of the cabinets will likely be where I’ll be. Just wondering what the # of people are like in there? Deer numbers? The big bears are thick in parts of Montana I hunt I’d imagine Idaho is no different. 3 guys and 6 animals. I’ll likely be the only one with a tag for Idaho.

Offline theleo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 07:47:21 AM »

I don’t have 20k for that crap. I have horses and mules. Save all year for these out of state hunts. I used to hunt Idaho for elk every year but got tired of seeing idiots from Washington. This is my final year hunting in Washington. I haven’t killed a mule deer in this state for about 8 years now. The quality and numbers are gone in the areas where I used to hunt. I worked in Idaho and Montana for a few years falling timber. The country in western Montana and North Idaho is very much the same in the sense of what I hunted here in Washington. Steep high country is my MO for mule deer. Just have to treat it as a high buck hunt knowing numbers are low and the chance at a big mountain muley will always be my holy grail. I’ve shot far more whitetail then mule deer. Generally because I’ve always opted to let the smaller bucks walk. Now I’m lucky to have even seen a doe. I’m not even planning on applying for the OIL tags here anymore. I’m not after anyone’s spot. I’m plenty good at finding my own. That being said the Cabinets are about as rough as it gets for mule deer hunting. The bucks I’ve killed in there virtually live in sheep country. The weather is generally your worst enemy. Between snow and fog. Idaho’s side of the cabinets will likely be where I’ll be. Just wondering what the # of people are like in there? Deer numbers? The big bears are thick in parts of Montana I hunt I’d imagine Idaho is no different. 3 guys and 6 animals. I’ll likely be the only one with a tag for Idaho.
You're going to run into even more idiots from Washington hunting deer in North Idaho than you did hunting elk. If you've got stock head south, the I-5 crowd gets pretty scared if they have to get out of their pickup to hunt.

Offline Lapua07

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 10:13:14 AM »

You're going to run into even more idiots from Washington hunting deer in North Idaho than you did hunting elk. If you've got stock head south, the I-5 crowd gets pretty scared if they have to get out of their pickup to hunt.

My experience with hunting mule deer in the areas that aren’t know as high producing muley country (I.E. NE Washington is well known whitetail country. As is N. Idaho. N. Western Montana is about a 50/50 split seems to me as the potential of a big whitetail is as possible as a big mule deer.) This all being said many have continued to express the urge to deter my interests to southern Idaho. I’m not interested in anything south of CDA. I’ve hunted out of St. Marie’s seen a few muleys while elk hunting. Hunted the CDA’s. Few muleys in there too. Worked up around Priest, Sandpoint, Bonners, and Moyie. There’s deer there. A lot like some of the skirts of what I’ve hunted in Montana the last 4-5 years. If I wanted easy deer I’d hunt the wheat country here in Washington. With easy comes over populated hunters.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 10:31:29 AM »
It sounds like you've done the homework and made up your mind. What exactly are you hoping to glean from us here? In your own words, not many guys hunt there because the density is low. My experience in places like that is that people keep their mouths shut.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 10:59:59 AM »
Before I offer up anything I would have to know if you fell with a Stihl or Husky, Drive a Ford or Chevy, Ride a horse or mule.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 11:14:26 AM »
Before I offer up anything I would have to know if you fell with a Stihl or Husky, Drive a Ford or Chevy, Ride a horse or mule.

Lapua, consider yourself lucky if he swipes right after those answers.  :chuckle:
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Jimmy33

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 01:01:03 PM »
Deer numbers in the Cabinets on the Idaho side are low compared to other parts of the state. I would imagine its fairly close to the Montana side. Pm me and ill send you my number and we can exchange some info. And yes, bear poukstion is high.

“The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge, my shield and the horn of my salvation.

Offline Jimmy33

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2019, 01:04:16 PM »

My experience with hunting mule deer in the areas that aren’t know as high producing muley country (I.E. NE Washington is well known whitetail country. As is N. Idaho. N. Western Montana is about a 50/50 split seems to me as the potential of a big whitetail is as possible as a big mule deer.) This all being said many have continued to express the urge to deter my interests to southern Idaho. I’m not interested in anything south of CDA. I’ve hunted out of St. Marie’s seen a few muleys while elk hunting. Hunted the CDA’s. Few muleys in there too. Worked up around Priest, Sandpoint, Bonners, and Moyie. There’s deer there. A lot like some of the skirts of what I’ve hunted in Montana the last 4-5 years. If I wanted easy deer I’d hunt the wheat country here in Washington. With easy comes over populated hunters.
I love hunting north idaho and i dont see hardly anyone where i go. In fact, i have never seen another human being in the woods except for people i go with.

Offline Lapua07

• Hunter
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2019, 03:39:14 PM »

Lapua, consider yourself lucky if he swipes right after those answers.  :chuckle:

Hahaha I have done a few years of homework on this and you are correct about the ones that do not talking... biting my tongue already for posting this. I know there’s deer there just a matter of what area I plan to put my homework into this summer.

Idk if I’m lucky either way he swipes. Lol
But as for your questions 2MANY...Husky.. Dodge... and I ride both. Won’t on a critter I can’t ride. . As far as shooting off them.. sure you can.. once lol

Offline Chesapeake

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2019, 04:49:41 PM »
Please explain how you can own stock animals but cant afford a side by side? $20k for something that only needs fed when you ride it, uses a cheaper trailer to move it, don't need a barn, doesn't have vet bills, gets shoed but once every 5+ years or so, doesn't need a barn or hay storage, pasture, fencing, ect......

Aint no way stock animals are cheaper than a side by side.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]