collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Help picking out a Christmas rifle for My Boy coming back from deployment  (Read 10128 times)

Offline Jolten

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
Re: Help picking out a Christmas rifle for My Boy coming back from deployment
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2019, 10:18:58 AM »
Savage 110 bear Hunter comes to mind. 300wsm should do it
The best equipment in the world is useless to the idiot who doesn't understand it.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2019, 10:24:15 AM »
One more thing to consider that hasn't been mentioned, and I don't know if it matters to your son or not, but I'm thinking since he's a Marine maybe it does. The Savage High Country you're looking at is made in America, the Browning is not. Now I have nothing against Browning, my primary rifle that I've hunted for the last 22 years is a Browning A Bolt. But if I had it do over again I'd buy American made if I could. Savage makes a great rifle and they're known for their accuracy. That's what I'd go with. Cartridge doesn't really matter much, it's just personal preference. In the High Country I'd suggest looking at a non magnum, just because it is a relatively heavy rifle and the magnums are listed at almost a half pound heavier than the standard cartridges. I'd be really tempted to go with the 280 Ackley Improved. Ballistics nearly as good as the 7mm Remington Magnum, with less recoil, and another advantage being the magazine holds 4 instead of only 3. Or you could go with 7/08 Rem., 308 Win., or the 30/06, ALL good cartridges. But just to be different I'd seriously consider the 280 Ackley.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 10:53:00 AM by bobcat »

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2019, 10:17:40 PM »
Went to Cabela’s on the way to Deer camp last night. Put my hands on several guns.
Pulled the trigger on the savage 110 high country in 7mm Remington Magnum.
I tried to pick it apart and the only thing I wasn’t 100% on was weight but in a magnum the weight ticks up on all of them.
The made in the USA got me.
I also picked him up a nice $200 hard shell double gun case to go with it.
I think he will be happy with it.
Solid gun
Wow factor look
Great caliber
Bonus gift of hard case $200
Made in the USA
Very reasonable price $800 after rebate
I think I made a good decision
Time will tell
I’ll update this when he receives it and when We try it out.
I’m excited to see what scope he picks
Thanks to all that helped with the selection options

Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline ThomMedic

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: evergreen sportsmen club, little rock, wa
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2019, 10:27:54 PM »
I came home from overseas around this time of year after being gone for a year and the best gift I got was a sympathetic ear from my friends parents. They would not let leave until I told them what had happened to me. After that I was able to sleep in a real bed again and the nightmares ceased.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2019, 10:09:08 AM »
Went to Cabela’s on the way to Deer camp last night. Put my hands on several guns.
Pulled the trigger on the savage 110 high country in 7mm Remington Magnum.
I tried to pick it apart and the only thing I wasn’t 100% on was weight but in a magnum the weight ticks up on all of them.
The made in the USA got me.
I also picked him up a nice $200 hard shell double gun case to go with it.
I think he will be happy with it.
Solid gun
Wow factor look
Great caliber
Bonus gift of hard case $200
Made in the USA
Very reasonable price $800 after rebate
I think I made a good decision
Time will tell
I’ll update this when he receives it and when We try it out.
I’m excited to see what scope he picks
Thanks to all that helped with the selection options

He will be very pleased......that is a great rifle and will be a great shooter, as all savages are.  Can't wait for the update.  Please tell your son we all thank him for his service. 

jrebel

Offline gundogr

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2019, 12:43:20 PM »
So much info. Thanks to everyone.
I agree it's hard if not impossible to find everything He would want. I think I will have to accept letting the iron sights go.
At this point I'm impressed by the savage 110 high country and the x-bolt hells canyon.
I agree he's not a boy anymore, LOL. That being said he's still young and I think the look of those two guns would have a bit of a flash wow factor I'm looking for in a special gift.
I'm not against the Tika but would like to put all three of the guns in My hands and check them out.
As for giving him MY x-bolt
#1 I have more than one boy that hunts and I could see some hurt feelings from the other boys.
#2 The boys will all end up with the guns when My time here ends.
#3 The big one My Wife would be convinced that I was just trying to get an excuse to buy a new more expensive rifle. And She would be correct. LOL

So Now that I have it narrowed down to three possible rifles I need to chose the caliber.
I like both the 7mm rem Mag and the 300 win mag. My Son and I have talked about the 300 Rum a few times and how I have never shot one and would like to. So that's also an option.
I'd like to ask for some pro's and con's of each caliber. I'm open to opinions also.
Thanks to all that have taken the time to pass along their recommendations. I appreciate it.

My $.02 - I have owned many of the rifles and calibers mentioned and the 'right' rifle/caliber is always a personal thing. Either of the three you are considering are great choices. Being a sort of Browning 'guy' I would lean that way but my Tikka 30-06 is my go-to for most everything nowadays. On calibers (and I know I might get in some hot water for the 7RM lovers out here (there are many).... My main point would be that if 7mmRM is your choice it is a great caliber. However, you can do most anything with an ottsix ballistically you can do with the 7RM plus you have all the range of bullet weights afforded the 30 caliber versus 7mm (but 140gr in 7RM are nasty). And for long range shooting you may want to have all those projectile options. So having said THAT, I would go for ottsix or .300WM and chose the rifle you think your son would most love. Hope it helps. This would cover any hunting in North America and most any long range shooting practce using your hunting rifle as your platform.

My tikka ottsix is my bread and butter gun, it just gets it done and I can find a box of ammo at just about anywhere and it'll shoot it just fine day in and day out.   If I could only have *one* gun, it would be this.  It ain't sexy, it ain't modern, it doesn't scream look at me! 

but it puts animals down

I am witcha brother! (Tikka Superlite camo stainless .30-06 Leupold VX-r 4-12x40 azz kicker - I almost don't even miss my magnums anymore... almost.)
Gundogr

Offline konradcountry

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2019, 10:54:32 AM »
Just gonna throw this out there.

My buddy who shoots a $7500 gun scope combo bought a 6.5 Ruger american and scoped it up.

It shoots as good as his custom gun. (bullets in same hole basically)

His buddy bought one..............................same result.

His buddy bought one..............................same result.

Cheap, durable, etc.

My Ruger American 7/08 shoots sub moa with mid price ammo. Same for a guy I know with one in 6.5.

I have a $200 scope on it.

Still not sure why I am supposed to spend thousands of dollars on a rifle.

Offline stlusn30-06

• Hunter
  • Groups: Wildlife Committee of Washington, BHA
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2019, 12:01:12 PM »
I know you said stainless...but a nice pre 64 model 70 featherweight 3006 can be had in that price range with open sights
:yeah: You said "something he'll remember forever". A new tika, rem, x-bolt, whatever, isn't memorable in anyway. They're just decent workhorses. If you want to get him something special, get him what is universally understood as the best hunting rifle ever made. There will be naysayers in the forum, but look up any "best hunting rifle ever" article written, and 99.9% of the time, you're gonna see a pre-64 model 70. pre-64 in 30-06 is what hatchcock used in Nam. They're well known for being extremely accurate and well built out of the box. The one I got from my G'Pa is what I use, and it's one of the most prized items I own. Once he understands what you got him, he'll understand it is something special.   Get in 06 or .300 WM.
“There are people in my life who sometimes worry about me when I go off into the fields and streams, not realizing that the country is a calm, gracious, forgiving place and that the real dangers are found in the civilization you have to pass through to get there." - Gierach

Offline stlusn30-06

• Hunter
  • Groups: Wildlife Committee of Washington, BHA
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2019, 12:02:44 PM »
I know you said stainless...but a nice pre 64 model 70 featherweight 3006 can be had in that price range with open sights
:yeah: You said "something he'll remember forever". A new tika, rem, x-bolt, whatever, isn't memorable in anyway. They're just decent workhorses. If you want to get him something special, get him what is universally understood as the best hunting rifle ever made. There will be naysayers in the forum, but look up any "best hunting rifle ever" article written, and 99.9% of the time, you're gonna see a pre-64 model 70. pre-64 in 30-06 is what hatchcock used in Nam. They're well known for being extremely accurate and well built out of the box. The one I got from my G'Pa is what I use, and it's one of the most prized items I own. Once he understands what you got him, he'll understand it is something special.   Get in 06 or .300 WM.

nvm. see you already popped on something
“There are people in my life who sometimes worry about me when I go off into the fields and streams, not realizing that the country is a calm, gracious, forgiving place and that the real dangers are found in the civilization you have to pass through to get there." - Gierach

Offline maxe28

• Pilgrim
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2019, 12:38:59 PM »
My first deer riffle was a savage model 110 .270, I loved that gun and ended up shooting my first deer with it. I now use a tikka t3 lite in 7mm mag and aboslutley love that gun. I managed to knock down 2 deer with it this year alone. A couple years ago, my family got my dad a tikka .300 winmag for Christmas and he is absolutely in love with that gun. from my experience, you can't go wrong with a savage 110, remington 700, tikka t3, browning xbolt or a ruger m77. I am sure your son will be happy with anything he gets from his parents. have a merry Christmas!

Offline BD1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2019, 12:48:53 PM »
I am zero help on picking a rifle...shotguns are another thing. I just wanted to extend a big thank you and happy holidays to your son for his service...and to you and your wife as parents. My holidays are happier because of people like him. Enjoy your time together...he will love whatever you decide on because of who it is from not for what it is  :tup:
BD1

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2019, 12:48:58 PM »
My suggestion would be to give him YOUR x-bolt. Seriously.  Favorite gun in my safe is a beater .22 from a family member.  Just how I see it.  He can buy himself whatever rifle he wants when he gets out.  Except for yours.  I dont know him or you, but I would bet all my guns that Its the one gun he’ll want when you are gone.  Good luck!

:yeah:

I gave my oldest son a shotgun years back, (SBE first gen). He was deployed most of this year and i retrieved from his wife to refurb/resto with cerekote, stock camo and internals. I bet he keeps this forever!
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline slowhand

• Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2019, 01:43:00 PM »
I appreciate all the kind words. We are very proud of him and can't wait to have him home even if only for a short while.
I gotta say I really miss having him with Me on hunting days. Started him out when He was 11 just walking behind Me taking it all in. He got access to facebook at some point during the late hunt last weekend. He made several comments about how much he was jealous of his little brother getting to hunt with Me this year. I'm telling you I soaked up and appreciated My hunting season with My middle boy Carson this year (Senior in Highschool). Having the oldest gone for a couple seasons now has made me realize what I have now with My middle one and what I miss about not having the oldest around.
I know it's selfish but I look forward to him coming home and returning to our little hunting group once his time in the Marine corp in finished.

Enough with the sappy stuff. Next question for the guys who have been helping. I know he's going to ask Me what scope I suggest once He gets to receive the new rifle. What are Your recommendations?   
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2019, 03:42:20 PM »
i vote 28 nosler….go bigger than a creed...
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline slowhand

• Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2019, 04:56:28 PM »
i vote 28 nosler….go bigger than a creed...
I already purchased the rifle. It's at home in it's box.
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]