collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Regulations clarification  (Read 2964 times)

Offline Mulie87

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA USPSA
Regulations clarification
« on: November 12, 2019, 02:26:42 PM »
From how I read they big game regs, to bring a deer head into Washington from out of state (Montana) i have to cape the head and remove brain and eyeballs. Is this correct?

I’m going to Montana this weekend for deer hunting and if I want to bring the head and keep backing to Washington for Taxidermy reasons I want to make sure I’m doing it right and not get refused at the taxidermist.

Offline MerriamMagician

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Success is the only option
Re: Regulations clarification
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 02:44:54 PM »
I faced a similar problem going to hunt Colorado last week. Its all part of the CWD containment process. I ended up not taking a buck large enough to take to the taxidermist. But it does seem to be a pain to have to deal with all of that if you shot a wall hanger and wanted to export it home for a shoulder mount.
Gobblers only, all jakes must walk

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 02:52:24 PM »
I might be wrong but I believe it is location dependent as far as requirements to bring back into the state
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 03:01:22 PM »
A deer from Montana is subject to these requirements: https://apps.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=220-413-030

"Soft tissue" would include the brain and eyes. The cape must be detached from the head.

Importation and retention of dead nonresident wildlife.

(1) It is unlawful:

(a) To import or possess dead wildlife, taken in another state or country, into Washington unless such wildlife was acquired lawfully. Proof of legal acquisition must be retained during the period of retention of the carcass or edible parts.

(b) For a person who imports a dead bighorn sheep, mountain goat, cougar or bear to fail to report such importation to the department in writing within ten days of the importation. The report must contain the name and address of the importer, the location where the dead wildlife is being stored, and general information describing where and how the wildlife was obtained.

(c) To import or possess deer, elk, or moose, or parts thereof, harvested in Pennsylvania, Texas, Missouri, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico, Wisconsin, Illinois, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, New York, West Virginia, Virginia, North Dakota, Alberta, Maryland, Minnesota, Montana, Mississippi, Iowa, Arkansas, Michigan, Saskatchewan, and Tennessee with the following exceptions:

(i) Meat that has been deboned in the state or province where it was harvested and is imported as boned-out meat;

(ii) Skulls and antlers, antlers attached to the skull plate, or upper canine teeth (buglers, whistlers, ivories) from which all soft tissue has been removed;

(iii) Hides or capes without heads attached;

(iv) Tissue imported for use by a diagnostic or research laboratory; and

(v) Finished taxidermy mounts.

(2) Violation of subsection (1) of this section is punishable under RCW 77.15.290 Unlawful transportation of fish or wildlife—Penalty.

(3) It is unlawful for an importer or receiver of deer or elk to fail to notify the department within twenty-four hours if a state or province alerts the importer or receiver that a harvested animal has tested positive for chronic wasting disease. Violation of this subsection is an infraction punishable under RCW 77.15.160 Infractions.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Mtnwalker

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 03:03:43 PM »
Just skin out the head and skull cap it before you come back. That’s what we did. I guess if you wanted to do a Euro then it would be a bit of a pain

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2019, 03:16:35 PM »
So is this saying if you drag your deer out and gut out you could bring whole carcass home?

(iii) Hides or capes without heads attached;

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 03:19:52 PM »
Just skin the head off and clean the skull before you head home. Takes a hour or 2 tops

Our not supposed to bring the whole carcass home. Has to be boned out meat, clean skull and skin. All separate.

Offline MerriamMagician

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Success is the only option
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 03:19:56 PM »
Just skin out the head and skull cap it before you come back. That’s what we did. I guess if you wanted to do a Euro then it would be a bit of a pain

The problem with this approach if taking your animal to a taxidermist is that many taxidermists would prefer to skin out the head themselves based on methods they are used to. Its a bit of a tricky process that your average hunter is not going to be an expert on, myself included. The last thing I would want to do is ruin the face of a cape if it was a real nice animal that I intended to have mounted.
Gobblers only, all jakes must walk

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 03:24:00 PM »

The problem with this approach if taking your animal to a taxidermist is that many taxidermists would prefer to skin out the head themselves based on methods they are used to. Its a bit of a tricky process that your average hunter is not going to be an expert on, myself included. The last thing I would want to do is ruin the face of a cape if it was a real nice animal that I intended to have mounted.
It’s really not hard to cape a head for a shoulder mount. Just go slow and make sure you keep all the correct items on the skin. Maybe look into a local taxidermist if you intend to have it caped and aren’t comfortable doing it yourself.

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2019, 03:27:28 PM »
Just skin the head off and clean the skull before you head home. Takes a hour or 2 tops

Our not supposed to bring the whole carcass home. Has to be boned out meat, clean skull and skin. All separate.

I am curious how many people adhere to this, let alone know its a law

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2019, 03:31:29 PM »

No idea. Any buck I’ve killed in a cwd state has always come off the mtn as boned out meat. Caped the head at camp and either cleaned the skull or skull capped.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2019, 03:34:33 PM »

Good question, but I suspect there is little leniency if caught.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Online vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 03:37:35 PM »
so its new for 2019?

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2019, 03:37:45 PM »
You should also think about any states you are traveling through as well. They may have differing laws, though I think wa is more detailed than Idaho for example.

Offline baseballnut

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2019, 03:41:10 PM »
I took a nice buck in Montana last year and didn't feel comfortable caping it out myself. we found a taxidermist in post falls Idaho and took our bucks there. beats driving back to eastern, mt.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]