collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Camo and found some turkey loads to try  (Read 2436 times)

Offline shorthair15

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Camo and found some turkey loads to try
« on: November 12, 2019, 05:53:48 PM »
I’m guessing it helps to wear a face net camo one so only your eyes are exposed. I’ve heard turkeys have good eye sight just thought I would check here. Found some federal number 5 and Kent diamond shot number 6’s to try in my benelli nova to see how they pattern later they where on sale.
Member of the NRA,GOA and Washington For Wildlife.NWTF member Disabled US NAVY Veteran 6/2/90 to 6/2/99 3 Good Conduct Medals, and 3 Honorable Discharges, 2 german shorthairs, tikka 6.5 creedmor,Remington 300 ULTRAMAG, GLOCK 22. Elk,Deer and upland birds and love Fishing

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
Re: Camo and found some turkey loads to try
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 06:07:56 PM »
Honestly, It's really about being motionless when you are in sight.

I wear a camo top and blue jeans, and kill turkeys every year.
Just DON'T MOVE WHEN THEY CAN SEE YOU!

That's my experience.

But, confidence counts, and more camo cant hurt.

Good luck!
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline ThurstonCokid

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2019, 08:33:15 PM »
I always say that birds have the best awareness. Ducks and turkey especially. I think full camo is a great way to go with turkey. Especially calling them close. Any movements will have the birds on edge if not running or flying well out of range. I’m newer to turkey hunting but have had great success. For sure a fun season to add!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TheStovePipeKid

• They call me MISTER KID!
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • I. Kill. Turkey.
    • TheStovePipeKid
  • Groups: NWTF Annual Member, NRA Extended Pay Lifetime Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 03:21:14 PM »
I have a pale complexion so I always wear a head covering snugged up around my eyes. Turkey detect movement with their eyes as opposed to being discerning. As was stated, cover yourself as much as you can while you are knocking the rust off your turkey skills and hold very still.
Federal makes great stuff. I'm not a fan of kent for hunting, but your shotgun will tell you what it likes. Expect to drop some bills on ammo while you pattern and sight in. Once you get sighted and pick a round you can strech a box out over a few season.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 06:30:11 PM by TheStovePipeKid »
I laugh in the face of Danger. Ha ha ha Danger Face!

Offline carvermoe

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 07:44:54 PM »
You might try Federal tss. #7

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 09:33:02 AM »
You might try Federal tss. #7

:yeah: or 9TSS even better~!
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 01:29:55 PM »
I've had turkeys that were afraid of me at 500 yds, and others that walked up to me while I was walking on the road.  I think they see well but some are dumb.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 10:20:34 AM »
Regarding shot shells for turkeys...yes, you can kill them with regular loads but one reason why those "turkey" loads are so expensive compared to standard upland loads is because they are high dram equivalent (more powder and shoot faster) and most will either be a blend of shot (5,6,7 in Triple Beard for example) or are tungsten instead of lead because tungsten is 30% heavier (and again a higher dram so they shoot fast)...a TSS #9 load (which is tungsten) is shooting around 1200 fps and hits as hard as #6 lead but you have way more pellets per ounce...#6 has about 225 pellets per ounce and #9 has about 585 pellets per ounce...so you have 360 more chances at hitting the brain!

Just fyi...I too cringe at the "turkey" loads but it's worth the extra $$$ especially when you shoot one a year (hopefully) for each tag you have.

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2020, 11:26:41 AM »
https://apex-ammunition.myshopify.com/pages/apex-choke-tubes

9 tss is like 5 lead. above table shows pellets per oz for var size. 7 tss are approaching lead 3 shot (energy wise at 40 yds). pellet count/pattern density is where its at here...

i have been toying with reduction to a ultralight 20 ga for shagging mountains. 1 5/8 oz of 9 tss in a 20ga is over 600 pellets. "20 is the new 12" is the slogan being spoken with this apex stuff at the shows...

not a seller out west for the Apex ammo that i can find yet but they do ship and offer military discounts.. fyi

if there is an interest , maybe we could do a bulk order next summer? i don't know what the rules are on that either?
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2020, 12:08:10 PM »
it all depends on dram and load size (ounces) as some claim #9 tungsten = #6 lead, others say #5 lead...I went with the #6 comparison because some won't believe the #5 comparison...and I got handed a good one on another thread so I error'ed on the side of caution! Yes, the "20 is the new 12"...and the .410 is the new 20!!!! I'll be using the new Steven 301 turkey in .410 this spring. Should be nice to carry afield!

Let me know if you do a bulk order...so far there is no restrictions on ammo sales with buddies in WA...BTW...20 gauge with 1 5/8 oz load??? is that a 3" shell? That is a heavy load for 20ga.

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 01:17:55 PM »
it all depends on dram and load size (ounces) as some claim #9 tungsten = #6 lead, others say #5 lead...I went with the #6 comparison because some won't believe the #5 comparison...and I got handed a good one on another thread so I error'ed on the side of caution! Yes, the "20 is the new 12"...and the .410 is the new 20!!!! I'll be using the new Steven 301 turkey in .410 this spring. Should be nice to carry afield!

Let me know if you do a bulk order...so far there is no restrictions on ammo sales with buddies in WA...BTW...20 gauge with 1 5/8 oz load??? is that a 3" shell? That is a heavy load for 20ga.

Grade

yes 3" 20ga 1 5/8oz 9 tss look at apex site
USN retired
1981-2011

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal