collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Prince of Wales Blacktail  (Read 4861 times)

Offline RB

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Prince of Wales Blacktail
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2019, 09:22:32 PM »
That's fantastic, sounds like a great time. You're right about the rubber boots. I frequently wear my Xtratuffs in the field down here like I did up there, and get some odd looks. Long walks on rocky roads are tough, as are steep sidehills, but otherwise, I can't think of a better hunting boot.

Did you see any other bucks, or many other deer?

:yeah:

My brother, nephew and every guy I know in SE AK hunts with the same boots!! Have never hunted POW but have heard stories. Great write up and nice Buck!
IAFF #3728

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2019, 11:46:39 PM »
Thanks, guys.  My first one on POW was about 10 years ago, a smaller forkie.  I was very pleased with my experience.  I would say the cuts were about 3-5 years grown.  There was no shortage of foliage.  And I doubt they'd even bother.  There was another large area harvested just up the road from my FiL's place, very recently, and to be honest, it is not even a dent with how abundant the resources are up there. 

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2019, 05:09:14 AM »
That's fantastic, sounds like a great time. You're right about the rubber boots. I frequently wear my Xtratuffs in the field down here like I did up there, and get some odd looks. Long walks on rocky roads are tough, as are steep sidehills, but otherwise, I can't think of a better hunting boot.

Did you see any other bucks, or many other deer?

:yeah:

My brother, nephew and every guy I know in SE AK hunts with the same boots!! Have never hunted POW but have heard stories. Great write up and nice Buck!
Ryan I don't understand why you don't hunt there given you have people to hunt with there
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2019, 08:45:16 AM »
Non-resident license/tags are not as cheap as they once were.  IIRC, it was ca. $600 for license and two deer tags last time I went.  Now it was $600 for license and one tag, with no price break for a second tag.  Then you have to figure air/ferry.  Plus food and lodging, if you don't have contacts there.  Guide/charter if you need water transport.

I am extremely thankful for an opportunity that I was literally given.

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2019, 06:01:44 PM »
Blacktails are my favorite deer and that is a really handsome buck - congrats  :tup:
If you're a Nigerian Prince with an inheritance to share, please call 1-800-Mar-a-Lago now. We're getting desperate here.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Legend
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2019, 06:40:33 PM »
Thank you, sir.

Offline pd

• Sourdough
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2019, 09:15:10 PM »
Thank you.  He had a nice symmetry to him and a kind of squarish profile from the back.  No pics, though.

I am looking to become Prime Minister of Canada or Governor of Virginia.

Awesome. Inside baseball.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2019, 09:29:32 PM »
Saw another mature buck tending a doe as they escaped on the other side of a cut/draw that I was ascending, but they were down the other side, before I could even get my rifle up.   Another of the party got shots on two but missed in close brush.

While I was sitting on a knob in the muskeg, emptying the water out of my boot, a yearling came running in to my call and then slowly circled around to get the wind on me for about ten minutes and to within about 15 feet.  It was pretty cool to think that I may have been the first or only human that deer has seen.  It circled around and slowly made its way into the brush. 

I blew the call again later and it came busting back out across the muskeg, and then on the far side of the muskeg another mature deer ran across, but I couldn't get a good enough look to see if it was a buck.

Was it a locally produced call you were using. Meaning, local to POW? I've always been curious if those calls would work for BT down here. They seem to work like a champ up there.

Just for giggles I tried a Sitka call in eastern washington watching some whitetail, they threw their tails in the air, snorted and wheezed away out of sight and ear shot hahaha. Have tried it here for blacktail and no luck, but in SE AK it is so cool to call them in!
IAFF #3728

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter