collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Muley Migration: Myths or Facts  (Read 1666 times)

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
Muley Migration: Myths or Facts
« on: November 13, 2019, 11:19:53 AM »
So another thread got me thinking. There is discussion about Folks perception of what, where, when the migratory Bucks appear.
Some folks say that people just aren’t seeing the bucks even though they’re there, yet lots of folks say that the big bucks won’t come down until the snow forces them to.
I believe it could be one the other or both, and can vary from one area to the next, even down to varying by different drainages.
Any given day, some areas the bucks could be rutting hard, but the next ridge, canyon, drainage, unit, etc away they are not rutty at all.
I feel this could inpart  be due to the fact of where these deer were born and raised, ie; Methow, Entiat, Okanogan herds could all be on different timelines.  :dunno:
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Muley Migration: Myths or Facts
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 11:33:07 AM »
Rut?
I think it all comes down to where the hot chicks are.
No more.
No less.

Migration?
Is about survival.
Sure a sweet thang that creates a hard lip may be migrating and ole fat neck will appear to be  migrating too.
However he is really migrating to her hind end.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 11:39:20 AM »
Rut?
I think it all comes down to where the hot chicks are.
No more.
No less.

Migration?
Is about survival.
Sure a sweet thang that creates a hard lip may be migrating and ole fat neck will appear to be  migrating too.
However he is really migrating to her hind end.

:yeah:
I know that one of the areas I am most familiar with has does all the time.  Then all of a sudden without snow there are twice as many does and suddenly bucks everywhere.  Some of the bucks I have had all year on camera at night and others just appear but they all have the same thing on their minds, the hot does.

I think once the migration happens, deeper snow, you really see deer numbers spike.

I think it is a combo.  I think deer move into some of those areas because the does are there.  I think some of the bucks have been there the whole time and just haven't shown themselves during daylight and I think deer move into an area because they are pushed down by heavy snow.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 11:42:34 AM »
Yes.  :chuckle: All of the above. You are right I believe that some migratory bucks come down following does, some stay high, some end up somewhere in between. Some probably never come down, but winter on some god forsaken windblown face at 6000'. It's been said that some will come down for the rut and then head back up to higher elevations until forced back down by snow. That seems like a extreme waste of calories to me, but I'm far from a biology or migration expert.

My guess is that migration of bucks is triggered by some combination of weather, rut, forage quality, distance of migration, and what his mom did. Whatever combination of those that clicks for that particular buck is what sets him off on his adventure.

I do believe as well that certain herds have different triggers based on their particular habitats. Entiat deer are going to act differently than Chewuch deer that might migrate 40 or more miles, and they're all going to act differently than an Alta deer that might only migrate 10-15 miles.

I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 11:49:22 AM »
The question is then is his mom still hot?

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 11:53:07 AM »

Prolly. One of our labs sons has tried to mount his mom  :yike:
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2019, 11:54:02 AM »

A DILF? Probably not if she was alive in 2015.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2019, 11:55:36 AM »
bucks stay in predator zones longer than does,  forkies and young bucks come down sooner,  mature bucks stay higher longer in cat infested areas.

myth or fact?

:chuckle:

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2019, 11:57:56 AM »
I would think the predators would follow the food, which is the bulk of the herd. I think that's why you hear of small groups of bucks/bulls wintering at crazy high elevations. No predators to bother them.

However, during the bulk of the year, I think you're right. Bucks hang out in areas that predators, especially cats, like to hang out. That is a huge part of why buck to doe ratios are what they are, even in lightly hunted areas.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 11:58:07 AM »
Fact
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Wunderlich33

• Hunter
  • You sure you know how to skin Griz?
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 12:14:28 PM »
Absolute FACT

Offline Ironhead

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2019, 12:20:46 PM »
The Doe's usually begin the migration and the Bucks will follow eventually. Some migrations begin in late Sept and early Oct. with weather not being a factor just timing, The Book Cliffs and unit 44 in ID  come to mind. Others such as the Chiwawa take weather to get the bulk of herd to start its migration.

The Primary Rut in my neck of the woods is all about hot Doe's and begins about the first week in November and ends a couple weeks later . This year I have been watching (new to me) Bucks filter through every couple days checking the roughly 20 Doe's that live in my backyard. It began here on Nov.4th.
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2019, 01:04:02 PM »

Over the years we have also seen significant changes or re-routing(I guess you could say) in some of the migration routes at least in the Methow that seem to be in correlation with the predator boom in the valley. My family was doing their own "counts" dating back to the early 1900,s in the Methow, for the most part using the 7-10 corridors that they/we know of. In the last 20 years or so a few of those routes have all but dried up and the first few years we were noticing it we were also finding a huge amount of cougar kills in those routes, my brother found over 22 cached kills in one small corridor one year recently, after a few years there are no sign of deer moving through there anymore, a few lone tracks here and there where 25 years ago we would see 1000 deer move through in a 4 day period, no matter what the weather, always around the 8th-12 of November. Now, that herd has taken a huge hit of coarse with the majority of that hit coming from a total mismanagement of predators along with expanding numbers and territory of a new one(wolf). This herd is pretty much under attack year round from bears, yotes, cats and now wolves, no matter the elevation. Cougars will follow their food source for sure but there is also a healthy cat population now that lives down in the valley and at intermediate elevations also, year round. There are still deer in the valley but I think at least in the Methow because of the high numbers of predators, they have had to adjust and adapt to survive, examples are deer living closer to towns or people, and even adjusting their traveling/migration routes.....just my  :twocents: and opinion.

Offline 2MANY

• Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2019, 01:36:54 PM »
Well said and true.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter