collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Kifaru pack advice?  (Read 7572 times)

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
Kifaru pack advice?
« on: November 13, 2019, 08:14:47 PM »
Switching from EXO to kifaru & looking for some advice on a pack. I'm around 75% leaning toward the reckoning bag with the duplex hunter ultra light frame.
Maybe some of you kifaru weirdos can tell me if Im on the right track? Anyone with the Reckoning have any complaints?
Context-
I pack out 2 to 6 animals a year. Both day hunt & camp off my back. Never anymore than a handful of nights at a time. I'm not a hardcore ounce counter, but try to stay light. I'll also use it for the occasional fishing trip, day hikes, and maybe training. I dont plan to hual any unusual loads (treestands, chainsaw, heavy training plates etc.)

TIA

Offline bigdub257

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF;Ducks Unlimited
Re: Kifaru pack advice?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 09:22:39 PM »
Sounds like the Reckoning would be a good choice for your style of hunting.  I've had several Kifaru bags but never the Reckoning since I didn't need the volume.  Other people I've spoken to that have the Reckoning love it.  Great for extended hunts but will cinch down well for day hunting.  As far as the frame goes, the only possible drawback I see with the ultra light is it only has 3 attachment points on each side of the the frame versus 5 on the duplex light.  Just something to consider.  I think somebody has a Reckoning for sale on here now if I'm not mistaken.  I've been running the 44 mag on a 24" duplex light frame this year and sure do like that setup. Gun bearer is pretty cool too, but takes a little getting used to.  Alot less fatigue at the end of the day vs. a sling over the shoulder.

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 09:31:16 PM »
Sounds like the Reckoning would be a good choice for your style of hunting.  I've had several Kifaru bags but never the Reckoning since I didn't need the volume.  Other people I've spoken to that have the Reckoning love it.  Great for extended hunts but will cinch down well for day hunting.  As far as the frame goes, the only possible drawback I see with the ultra light is it only has 3 attachment points on each side of the the frame versus 5 on the duplex light.  Just something to consider.  I think somebody has a Reckoning for sale on here now if I'm not mistaken.  I've been running the 44 mag on a 24" duplex light frame this year and sure do like that setup. Gun bearer is pretty cool too, but takes a little getting used to.  Alot less fatigue at the end of the day vs. a sling over the shoulder.

44 mag is smaller I take it. Does that stand for 4400ci?
Great info on the frame. I didn't know that. I take it that comes into play when using the meat shelf & not securing the bag?

Offline bigdub257

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF;Ducks Unlimited
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2019, 10:03:52 PM »
Yes, the 44 mag is 4400 c.i. but like most Kifaru packs you can attach a multitude of additional pockets/bags/accessories to greatly increase the c.i. of storage.  As far as the frames go I think more attachment points is better especially when using the meat shelf mode so you can be sure to have the ability to get everything cinched down nice and secure.

Offline coop2424

• Site Sponsor
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 10:29:51 PM »
Reckoning is an awesome pack.  My hunting partner runs it and he likes it a lot.  He runs it with a medium pouch up top and another on the bottom.  The only thing I think he doesn’t like that he has told me is the open top on the side pouches.  I also run the 44mag when I don’t need a really large pack and absolutely love that bag. I have a lite frame  and a regular duplex with dt1 bag and I like the lite better.  Has more ventilation on the back and seems the foam is better but may be just because my duplex frame foam is more broke down.

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 10:32:58 PM »
I don’t care for the open top side pockets on the reckoning. I’m using the Cavern right now, and probably would have went with the Hoodlum, but it hadn’t been released yet.

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 12:45:06 AM »
What size exo pack did you hunt with?

Not knowing that I would go with the 44 mag because of the 2 zip side pockets, panel on the back, organization pockets on the lid and in the panel and the main zipper if you like putting meat on a meat shelf. If you don’t mind putting meat in the main bag go with the Fulcrum or wait for a bit and see what the new release will be.

Are you buying a used hunter ultra light frame? The difference between the hunter and the hunter ultra light is stays aluminum/composite or arrows. The new frame is duplex lite and ultra light. 1/8 to 1/16 hdpe and 5 tab to 3 tab. If you are looking at the new frame go with the duplex lite. A little stouter and 5 tabs which will help securing loads.

I personally don’t care for the side pocket design of the reckoning.

People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline Bone collector 13

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2019, 06:30:29 AM »
Best thing to do is just to get ahold of Aaron himself. Stand up dude will walk you through everything

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2019, 08:10:58 AM »
Best thing to do is just to get ahold of Aaron himself. Stand up dude will walk you through everything

:tup:

His phone number is on rokslide and if you don’t want to bug him call kifaru and one of those guys can really help you out
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline T-Dozzer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2019, 09:38:15 AM »
I've been hunting with the EXO 3500 for years. I can get 3-4 days of crap in it, but it's tight. I mainly use the meat shelf, but Im not opposed to using the bag for meat.
Good points on the frame. I think the duplex hunter light sounds better.
The thing I like about the reckoning (without seeing it in person) is the big front zipper and the way the side compression straps are separate from the front compression straps. It looks like the bag expands up quite a bit. Not sure how I feel about that. Nice to have the room, but maybe too much for day trips?
I've messaged Aron a bit. Told him I would give him a call when I narrow it down.
Am I going to be surprised how much it all weighs coming from an EXO?

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2019, 10:11:52 AM »
Few things. All kifaru bags compress down to absolutely nothing. Go bigger than you think you need.  You can make a big bag small but you can't make a small bag big.  The load shelf thing I can't wrap my brain around.  Stay tight and load vertical. Don't unnecessarily move weight away from your body. I personally like the open side pocket design. I can get my spotter and tripod out of my old DT1 in half the time it takes me to get them deployed out of my crater (which is still plenty fast honestly).  I've hauled hundreds of animals on my back in a lot of different packs. There's a whole lot of uneccessary fluff and marketing crap that goes into so many of these packs anymore.  I live by the K.I.S.S. philosophy  :chuckle:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 10:17:24 AM »
I'd recommend a good long look at the mountain warrior.  Out of all the bags I've used, this is the best for me for extended hunts, day hunts, training, carry on bag on flights... until they come out with the Warlum....  MW humped a Hoodlum, side pocket panel loader
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 10:36:27 AM »
I got the hoodlum this year and so far it's been nothing but awesome.  If you're close to snohomish County I'll be willing to let you take a look first hand at it.

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2019, 10:45:19 AM »
I like the Exo bag on the Kifaru frame.

Offline D-Rock425

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2019, 04:42:56 PM »
I think the greatest part of a kifaru pack is how customizable they are.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal