collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Non-Lead Ammo for Coyote shotgun?  (Read 3182 times)

Offline Pete112288

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Non-Lead Ammo for Coyote shotgun?
« on: November 13, 2019, 10:25:03 PM »
So I have a good hookup for an area with a lot of unpressured coyotes. The only downside is that it is an area that non-toxic shot is required. Also, I am not allowed to use muzzleloader or rifle. So its shotgun or archery only.
I have a rifled slug gun and a regular field model as well, both 12 gauge, 3" chamber.
I can get copper slugs for the slug gun for $14 for a box of 5. So I will go with that before I spend the money on Hevi-Shot dead coyote loads, cause those I have not found lately for any less than $7 a round.
But I would rather be using shot in most cases in this area. I have googled some things with mixed results.
The other options I have found that some say work from their personal experience, others disagree strongly.
I can find steel shot in T-shot and tungstun shot in BB for a price that I can work with.
What do you think? Is there other options for a shotgun that I am overlooking?
Any personal experiences here?
Thank ya much.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
Re: Non-Lead Ammo for Coyote shotgun?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2019, 11:11:50 PM »
If you wanted to go with shot over a slug, I would suggest Tunsgten over steel.  Much better penetration and downrange energy.  60% more dense than lead. 

I handload TSS-18 for my hunting ammo.  #9 for ducks, #7 for geese....although I'm usually just packing the #7 for an all around waterfowl round.   For bear/predator defense I load #1B buckshot, as it was a recipe made by some guys in Alaska for grizzly defense in their 10 gauges (mine is a 12 gauge load, so ten 30-cal shot moving 1600fps).   The penetration testing those guys did was pretty amazing, and decent killing range.   

#1B is major overkill for coyotes.  The Tungsten dealer I use says the most popular TSS sizes for coyotes are 4, 3, 2, and 1.  For deer folks use 1, BB, and T.  He sells all sizes, and provides recipes as part of the sale (as long as you agree not to share the recipes, as he spent thousands on pressure testing the loads to develop the recipes).

« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 08:36:56 AM by kselkhunter »

Offline ELKBURGER

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+18)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2019, 05:19:15 AM »
I would think a good steel goose load would be cheap and available. Do you plan on hunting from a blind and calling them in close? Sounds like fun!

Offline Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2019, 06:04:08 AM »
I my experience I would stay away from steel.  I have shot several yotes while walking out from duck ponds.  I had steel shot due to waterfowling.  Each time they limped away.  Pretty sure they died, but I am not into wounding.

2 falls ago pheasant hunting a yote slipped in between my and spaniel at 35 yards.  I was carrying a old superposed full over mod shooting 2 3/4 #5 lead shot.  I shot and he folded up like a pressed shirt.

In my opinion buy when hunting buy the best shell you can because realistically you not going to be shooting a lot of them. 

Offline h2ofowlr

• CHOKED UP TIGHT
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2019, 07:42:14 AM »
I picked up a box of hevi shot dead coyote for this.  You can get it in 00 buck, T-shot etc.  It rolls them good.
Cut em!
It's not the shells!  It's the shooter!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2019, 08:45:01 AM »
Tungsten, BB's. About $1.50 per shell. I use lead BB shot in my 12 gauge for coyotes. Works great. $38 for a box of 25 at Midway.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1019154563

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2019, 08:53:47 AM »
 :yeah:
I've killed several with Tungsten Iron.  That stuff is wicked

Offline Samloffler

• Hunter
  • Groups: Pheasants forever, RMEF
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 04:20:00 PM »
If you can find a #4 buck in steel or tungsten that would be the way to go.

Who is that tungsten dealer? I'd be interested in buying his shot and load data.

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 04:58:53 PM »
There are lots of good shot loads, I like T-shot. I would not use slugs unless I was using a slug gun with good sights. I would avoid steel.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 06:10:07 PM »

Who is that tungsten dealer? I'd be interested in buying his shot and load data.

His name is Hal, he runs the Tungsten Super Shots website:  https://www.tungstensupershots.com/

Lots of good info on there.  Hal usually carries most sizes from #12 all the way up through #1 Buck in TSS-18.   He'll email you what the most common sizes are for each animal (ie #9 for ducks, #7 for geese, etc.).  And all his load data is pressure tested, and he supplies the pressures and all loading components list with each load.   Loads range from 1/2 ounce waterfowl up to 2 oz turkey loads.   Some guys are duplexing loads as well.  I will PM you his contact info. 

With TSS-18 You get about 13 pellets per ounce with the 4B and about 7 pellets per ounce with the 1B.  You get about 23 with the T and 33 with the BB, aprox.   With TSS-18 being almost 60% denser than lead, I'd think BB or T would be plenty for coyotes.   

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 09:03:29 AM »

His name is Hal, he runs the Tungsten Super Shots website:  https://www.tungstensupershots.com/

Lots of good info on there.  Hal usually carries most sizes from #12 all the way up through #1 Buck in TSS-18.   He'll email you what the most common sizes are for each animal (ie #9 for ducks, #7 for geese, etc.).  And all his load data is pressure tested, and he supplies the pressures and all loading components list with each load.   Loads range from 1/2 ounce waterfowl up to 2 oz turkey loads.   Some guys are duplexing loads as well.  I will PM you his contact info. 

With TSS-18 You get about 13 pellets per ounce with the 4B and about 7 pellets per ounce with the 1B.  You get about 23 with the T and 33 with the BB, aprox.   With TSS-18 being almost 60% denser than lead, I'd think BB or T would be plenty for coyotes.   

X2  Hal is a great source for TSS and load data.   

There is no reason to look at buckshot sizes in TSS.   #1 TSS (smaller than BB) will outpenetrate, outpattern and outperform any lead buckshot.  #3 TSS for coyote.  #6 or #7 TSS for geese.  FWIW a lot of turkey guys are killing coyotes with TSS#9 while turkey hunting.

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2019, 08:35:13 PM »
Anyone ever try blackcloud in BB?

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal