collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: More than fair for a trail camera trasspass  (Read 15794 times)

Offline Goshawk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
More than fair for a trail camera trasspass
« on: November 16, 2019, 08:35:11 AM »
After being sick for the first two weeks of the season, then going on 7-12, I finally had three hours to put on the orange and do a little walking around the north side of my own land and found a mineral setup with a trail camera on it. Not Cool!
So, I went back home and printed up a nice little note in a zip lock with a pen. It said: "If you want your camera back and promise not to trespass anymore write your address here and I'll mail it to you".

I think that was more than fair.

Went home and called it a season.  Between health and work, I sure hope next year goes better.  4 hours does not a deer season make!
You'll never get a Big'un if you keep shooting Little'un's.

Offline Bowhunter3

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Longhunter
Re: More than fair for a trail camera trasspass
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 08:41:29 AM »
That’s a real bummer about your season. Don’t think you could have handled the trespassing situation any better though :tup: very nice of you.

Offline CougHunter

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 10:41:11 AM »
Keep us updated if you hear back.

Offline Dark2Dark

• Hunter
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 10:45:38 AM »
My bad- PMing you my address now.

But, in seriousness, it sounds like maybe he did not know it was private? Or is it all fenced and posted?

It seems crazy to me that someone would go to all that work on a property they knew was private!

Offline Jimmer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 10:57:03 AM »

But, in seriousness, it sounds like maybe he did not know it was private? Or is it all fenced and posted?

It seems crazy to me that someone would go to all that work on a property they knew was private!
You must not own private property.. ha. People have serious balls.. my land is gated with over 15 signs around every possible entry. Yesterday there was a set of two tracks in the snow walking right around the gate. I will  prosecute to the fullest if I catch them..

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 01:51:11 PM »

You must not own private property.. ha. People have serious balls.. my land is gated with over 15 signs around every possible entry. Yesterday there was a set of two tracks in the snow walking right around the gate. I will  prosecute to the fullest if I catch them..

Cant blame you for that. People need to learn to respect land owners! Cant tell you how many animals Ive passed on because I didn't have permission on a certain piesce of property at a certain time. Including a couple dandy bulls on property that Ive had ongoing permission to hunt but just neglected to check in before season.

Offline Goshawk

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 07:38:06 PM »
If I don't have permission, I don't go there; Period!
You'll never get a Big'un if you keep shooting Little'un's.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 10:00:36 PM »
I think you did the right thing.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Bango skank

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2019, 10:04:21 PM »

There is really no excuse not to know nowadays.  Ignorance is not a reasonable defense.  Even the poorest person can walk to the library and get online and look up a county assessor map if they cant afford a few bucks for hunt on x software.

Offline Taco280AI

• Past Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2019, 10:17:12 PM »
I don't think it's ignorance in most cases, I think they know it's private and just don't care.

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2019, 10:20:39 PM »
I don't think it's ignorance in most cases, I think they know it's private and just don't care.

Oh i agree.  Just responding to the dude who seens like he wants to use ignorance as a possible defense for the scumbags.  But i do think the majority of tresspassers know damn good and well what theyre doing.  And the ones who dont can pound sand, cayse like i said, theres no valid excuse to not know whos land youre on.

Offline Dark2Dark

• Hunter
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2019, 02:04:40 AM »

Oh i agree.  Just responding to the dude who seens like he wants to use ignorance as a possible defense for the scumbags.  But i do think the majority of tresspassers know damn good and well what theyre doing.  And the ones who dont can pound sand, cayse like i said, theres no valid excuse to not know whos land youre on.

I’m super diligent about using OnX.

But I have been in places that I’m 1000 percent sure it was public and had a neighboring landowner telling me it was private. And I have been in places where OnX said it was public and I started to get the feeling it was private and left. I later confirmed it was private and OnX was wrong.

I’m not using ignorance as a defense. I’m giving some of mankind the benefit of the doubt. Shame on me, I guess?

It just seems odd to me that someone would haul minerals onto property they knew was private and setup a (what sounds like unlocked) trailcam. Maybe that’s because their behavior is so inexplicable. Or maybe it’s just because I haven’t been burned by people with evil intentions enough to just assume everyone out there is a premeditated scum bag.

Offline Russ McDonald

• Old Salt
  • USN ET3 SW 87-92, USS Excel MSO 439
  • Groups: NWTF, NRA
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2019, 07:14:54 AM »
By the way.  By state law it is not the owners responsibilty to post their land.  It is the hunter, biker, hiker or who ever  to know private from public.  @bigtex maybe he could shed some light on this subject to.  Nice job on the OP.  I am sure I wouldn't have handled it that way.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Russell McDonald
President South Sound NWTF Chapter and WA state board NWTF
The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline bornhunter

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Wa Cattlemens Assc, Stevens County Cattlemens Assc
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2019, 07:55:47 AM »
Why is this such a big deal. Someone comes on your property, takes a buck and leaves. You never even know so no harm no foul. What does taking one deer hurt?

Offline Bango skank

• Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2019, 08:03:11 AM »
Why is this such a big deal. Someone comes on your property, takes a buck and leaves. You never even know so no harm no foul. What does taking one deer hurt?

While yoyre at work, your neighbor comes over and bangs your wife and leaves.  You never even know, so no harm no foul.  What does it hurt?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal