collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Logging and Blacktail Deer  (Read 1010 times)

Offline Vine Maples and Cottonwoo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Logging and Blacktail Deer
« on: November 17, 2019, 12:41:43 AM »
From  an article in- https://tdn.com/lifestyles/blacktail-deer-populations-hanging-on-but-there-s-reason-for/article_9fb4a6af-fda5-5fe8-a35d-1a0d7930b6b1.html

• Logging used to be good for deer.

Now, after logging, herbicides are used to kill the competing vegetation and the forest plantations are re-seeded heavily.

“The broadleaf shrubs, trees and forbs eliminated by these efforts are the very plants that comprise the blacktail deer diet,’’ Holman said.

By the time the densely stocked conifer seedlings reach age 12 very little light reaches the ground, further reducing forage for deer.

The trees get cut at about age 40, before there’s been much chance for openings in the forest to occur, assuring that an understory of shrubs, i.e., deer food, never gets a chance to grow.

Add in a network of logging roads, which deer avoid if the routes are traveled much.

“These impacts are detrimental to deer,’’ Holman said. “They are not typical of the young forests following natural disturbances (like a forest fire or volcanic eruption).’’

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Logging and Blacktail Deer
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 05:44:26 AM »
Interesting but I find it more than interesting that I didn’t read anything regarding the cat populations that are virtually uncontrollable due to a game management issue being put on the ballot by our screwed up state that allowed populations to explode.  Much like you will never hear them include the tribal fishing practices when discussing the plight of the salmon.🤫🤔 selective research & game management with the dollar is why we are where we are. Carry on.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
Re: Logging and Blacktail Deer
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 06:01:29 AM »
While it is true the herbicide spraying is detrimental to growth of deer's favorite browse, when I look around I see no sign of over-browsed habitat. The spraying hurts the hunting to be sure but there is not enough deer to eat what browse there is over the larger landscape. Population is down because of longtails. Deer are not starving.
On another note I have not seen a deer with hair loss syndrome for quite a while.
Bruce Vandervort

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal