collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 49 degrees late bull moose  (Read 4880 times)

Offline huntsonofgun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
49 degrees late bull moose
« on: November 17, 2019, 10:18:13 AM »
I would like to start of by saying a huge thank you to my family, friends, and everyone out there that has offered up information for my hunt.
I spent 4 days before the season scouting and found multiple spots with good sign. I only seen one bull in those four days of scouting and decided that was where I needed to be on opening day. My dad, uncle, and I left ellensburg at 330am on opening day and drove up there to the spot I wanted to hunt. We covered some ground and I seen some fresh tracks and hiked in to try and see the bull but we didn't see a moose on opening day.

We went back into that area the next day and seen fresh bull tracks, so I got out and hiked up on the ridge to check it out. The tracks went straight into a thicket so I backed out and we were going to go further up the road to the location I had seen the bull when I was scouting. When I got back to the side by side my dad asked me if i heard the shot up the road. I responded with a yes and he said some guys had just passed him on the road. We drove up the road and sure enough they had shot that bull right off the road. I was frustrated, especially when they told me they hadn't been up there yet and they just decided to drive up there today. I understand that he wasnt my bull, but I wished that I hadn't hiked up the ridge to check out the other bull. We helped the guys load up the bull and moved on. My dad told me that bull wasnt meant for you so let's go find another one.

We went to another location that people had told me to hunt the third and fourth day and didn't see a moose all day. The following day a bunch of my friends had showed up so we went up towards calispell peak to check that out. We came across a monster set of tracks and decided we needed to see the bull that is making those tracks. We drove around and hiked all day trying to locate the bull. We didn't find him and we decided to go back in the am. The next morning we seen fresh tracks heading into the thicket, so my dad and my buddies went to spots that they could glass the hill and I hiked up this nasty thick hillside. The snow was about 3 feet deep and crunchy. I was within 40 yards of the moose the whole time but I couldn't see them it was too thick. So I backed out and hiked back to the road. When I got to the road I was met by my dad and friend. They said did you see that big bull. I told them no but I could hear him walking in front of me. They said he is huge, they had seen him through the spotting scope in some openings above me.
There was 3 bulls together. I didn't see any of them. They went to another spot to glass and spotted him at 750 yards. I went over to that spot and seen him for the first time, he was a monster we all agreed that he was pushing 50" with huge paddles, tines, and fronts. We continued to hunt that bull for 5 more days and he was always at least 700 to 1000 yards away. I didn't have a rifle that was capable of taking those shots so I decided we needed to go try to find a bull that we could get a shot on. My dad and I were hunting alone the 11th day so we decided to go up to boyer and glass for bulls. We hiked into boyer and found a really good bull, but we decided there was no way my dad and I would be able to pack it out 5 miles by ourselves. So we went back home because I had to go back to work.

I worked 3 days and we left my house at 330 am friday morning to go hunt for 3 days. I drove in the thick fog from home to the area I wanted to hunt. We couldn't see 20 yards so i decided to go check out another spot. My uncle spotted a big bull and i tried to get on him but once again I wasnt able to see him it was just too thick. We were debating on what we should do, and where we could hunt that wasnt foggy. One of my buddies sent me a link from a guy on the washington hunting facebook page that had been deer hunting and been seeing bulls and cows. So I called the guy and he gave me directions to the area he had been seeing the moose. We drove 30 minutes from where we were to the area. My dad and I were driving into the area and it was super foggy so i told my dad let's just check it out and make plans for the am hunt. We were driving along when all of the sudden dad yelled out cows. I looked over and there was a little bull and 2 cows we could see in the fog. I continued to drive to the end of the road and we were talking to a deer hunter while I was waiting for the fog to lift a little bit. I was getting ready to hike back towards the moose and try to find the bigger bull. All of the sudden we looked up and the moose were walking towards us about 100 yards away. There were 2 cows off the road to the left and then I seen my bull just off the road to the right. So I got my rifle out and loaded it. I walked over to a spot that I could clearly see the bull. I put one round into his neck and he dropped. He rolled onto the road when he went down. We had been hunting hard for 12 days not even seeing a moose some days and it had finally come together. We dragged the moose with my truck over to a spot that we could start to take care of the bull. I knew people were being honest about how big these awesome animals are but until you physically walk up to one you have no idea. They are huge. My dad, uncle, and I took care of the animal with help from our new friend rob. We got him all loaded up and drove back home friday night. It was a huge relief to finally make my dream come true. I was worried I was going to be eating tag soup and washing it down with some Meateater Bourbon.
Thanks again to everyone that helped me!
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 12:08:08 PM by huntsonofgun »

Offline Sandberm

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
Re: 49 degrees late bull moose
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2019, 12:03:54 PM »
Good job! You really put the time in, made new friends and got to share the experience with family.  :)

And you shot it right next to the road! Lucky s.o... :chuckle:

Offline huntsonofgun

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 12:06:59 PM »
Yeah it was a great hunt. I dont regret shooting a smaller bull at all.

Offline Blsum

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2019, 04:19:30 PM »
Congrats again. You definitely put your time in and earned your bull. Plus you had your family there to share it with you. Nothing better then making some lifelong memories
It's not the size of the trophy that make's it a trophy.

You may just be one person in this world. But you may be the world to just one person.

Offline huntsonofgun

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2019, 04:40:22 PM »
Thank You!!

Offline Sr15

• Tracker
  • Groups: Nra
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 08:44:09 AM »
Congratulations on filling your tag. Great story and pics! Cool that your dad could share the hunt with you.

Offline huntsonofgun

• Tracker
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2019, 08:11:08 AM »
Thank you I was really glad he was able to be part of the whole hunt.

Offline Birdguy

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2019, 08:33:11 AM »
That is what it is all about!!!  Once in a lifetime hunt, memories and special time with family and friends!! Sweet bull! Congratulations!!!!

Offline huntsonofgun

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 06:21:35 AM »
Thank you. It was a great hunt. Today a bunch of my family and I will all be cutting and wrapping the moose. I am super lucky to have the family and friends I have.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 12:40:07 PM »
Awesome job, congrats!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline wheels

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2019, 11:50:22 AM »
congrats

Offline Watimberghost

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2019, 11:57:34 AM »
Awesome hunt! Congrats!

Offline HillHound

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2019, 12:05:08 PM »
Sounds like you guys had a blast.  Couldn’t ask for anything better than him rolling right to the road. Congratulations.

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2019, 12:33:46 PM »
Congratulations to ya!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline TVHunts

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+56)
  • Sourdough