collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Quality Buck ?  (Read 7792 times)

Offline bornforhorns

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Quality Buck ?
« on: November 18, 2019, 05:32:16 PM »
Is it that very few get posted on here anymore or is it that nobody is killing anything of any stature?

I can speak on behalf of my cousin in that the Gardner Unit has either had some major changes happen to it's traditional migration routes or most of the decent ones are on private ground where you can't get to them.  I know that fires, predators, loss of wintering range and the shear mass of people (bikers) in the area has changed the dynamics from the early 90's when I would see world class bucks in huntable areas and definitely a flood of deer migrating through there.

I know some others probably have thoughts about this?  I'm interested in what others think.

If anybody on here has some photos of old Gardner bucks that go 170 or better please share a pic if you feel inclined!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2019, 05:41:04 PM by bornforhorns »

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Quality Buck ?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2019, 05:42:40 PM »
Yes, not as many being killed. Look back at posts in 2015, you'll see plenty were posted that year, even bucks that were killed in the general season. In fact there may have been more from the general season than from the later special permit hunts.

Offline nwalpineguide

• Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100014108737357
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2019, 12:10:50 AM »
With apologies to internet experts and country store clerks, this one stepped out at 11:28AM on Saturday in the Lake Wenatchee area. We left a few for others to enjoy in future. Plenty of others like this one running around fighting and rutting. Late season quality buck permit hunt.

Oh, bye the way; I forgot to mention that the data informed our decision about where and when to hunt. And thought some might find interesting how trail cam data can be utilized to narrow down your hunting location, ours being tree stand locations along migratory routes.

Brad: Hi Mike,

I thought you might enjoy seeing the data analysis I did on your picture data.

Attached is the file I created.  If it was pointed to your directory you could just click on links and see the pictures.

I first created the "Data" tab by downloading the path of the pictures and the time they were taken.  For a better analysis, I would include a stand column.   I then indicated the duplicate pictures in Col  D, Deer Type (Buck or Doe) in Column E.  If a buck, the points in column F.  Hunting Hours in Column G, I then separated the Date / Time into their own Columns.  See below.

From this data I created a spotting chart as shown below.  The left axis is hours and the top is date.  So it shows how many deer were spot during which hour each day.

Then I looked at the sightings over a 15 day period to determine the best hunting times.  The first four columns are the total sightings per each hour group.  The Four hour period is the number of sights over a 15 day period in each four hour block.  I then computed probability of seeing a buck or doe during the period.  What it shows is if you hunt from 11 to 2 you have a 93% change of seeing 1 animal each day during that period.  The best periods for bucks is from 12 to 4 and you have a 20% chance of seeing a buck.  If you want to see a 4 or 5 point buck you only have a 7% daily chance over 15 days.

This analysis could be refined in many ways, but I wanted to show you what could be done with your picture data.  I would narrow it further to also look at shorter day groups rather than the 15 day period.

If you did this per stand you could figure out which stand has the most productivity and the best period of days and times to hunt.  Realizing of course that a random monster buck can appear at any time regardless of the analysis.

Brad
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 10:35:18 AM by nwalpineguide »

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2019, 12:55:21 AM »
 :tup:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2019, 03:42:51 AM »
Nice buck
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2019, 05:10:20 AM »
Wow Mike that's a nice buck Congrats
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2019, 06:48:29 AM »
Good deer, quality is in the eye of the hunter.  But, I wont be putting my 14 points in the draw for a while. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2019, 07:34:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure folks are not so willing to post pictures anymore, and this is unfortunate it is this way.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline Ridgerunner

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2019, 07:51:08 AM »
Yeah thats a beautiful buck, nothing wrong with him. 

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2019, 08:44:59 AM »
Yes, not as many being killed. Look back at posts in 2015, you'll see plenty were posted that year, even bucks that were killed in the general season. In fact there may have been more from the general season than from the later special permit hunts.

Yes,  :yeah:
2015 was a VERY hard year on the muley population. Fires, High kill, Bad winter. Takes awhile to get back from that.
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2019, 08:59:37 AM »
I believe both of your questions are correct. Less quality bucks being posted (some folks ALWAYS have to be a downer and if its not a Monster they just gotta say something) people get tired of that. If the guy liked it enough to shoot it, then its a Quality buck to him....BE HAPPY FOR HIM, period. 
and less being killed (population is way down)

Here's mine from this year, not a Masher to some (I don't care) I shot it for me and that's all that really matters.

PS: Beautiful buck nwalpineguide
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2019, 09:04:38 AM »
@nwalpineguide  Hope ya don't mind that I rotated the pic for you. If that's not ok let me know and i'll remove.

Congrats again, awesome buck

Offline Twispriver

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2019, 09:06:31 AM »
They're both mashers to me - congrats and thanks for posting  :tup:
If you're a Nigerian Prince with an inheritance to share, please call 1-800-Mar-a-Lago now. We're getting desperate here.

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2019, 09:13:45 AM »
I believe both of your questions are correct. Less quality bucks being posted (some folks ALWAYS have to be a downer and if its not a Monster they just gotta say something) people get tired of that. If the guy liked it enough to shoot it, then its a Quality buck to him....BE HAPPY FOR HIM, period. 
and less being killed (population is way down)

Here's mine from this year, not a Masher to some (I don't care) I shot it for me and that's all that really matters.

PS: Beautiful buck nwalpineguide

:chuckle: got news for ya nock nock, that is a beautiful muley buck & not many people would pass him. Congrats

Offline mburrows

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Go Cougs!
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2019, 10:23:28 AM »
Two awesome bucks guys. Congrats on the success

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal